Thread: jerky

someone tell me how to make venison jerky?

My recipe:
    1 beer
    1 part worsch. to 1 part soy
    1 small bottle liquid smoke
    crushed red peppers, black pepper, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, onion powder- all to taste
    I don't measure anything, so I'm not sure exactly how much of each I use, maybe two Tbs of the onion and garlic powder, one Tbs of the crushed pepper and a Ts of the other? Add beer last, it will react and stir everything up.
    Marinate 24hrs in above mix.
    Lay strips of meat out on paper towels and pat dry. Sprinkle with Cajun Seasoning. Put meat in dehydrator-mine takes 10 hrs, give or take. You can "petrify" the meat if you leave it in too long. Good Luck.

I actually made a batch last night, well it is presently marinating and will hit the dehydrator at lunch time. The recipe is as follows

4 tablespoons soy sauce
    4 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
    ¼ teaspoon black pepper
    ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
    2-4 cloves of garlic (more or less according to taste) chopped up fine or pressed through a presser
    ½ teaspoon salt

If you want a little more spiciness to your jerky, add the following adjusting more or less to taste

A few dashes of hot sauce (I use Texas Pete but your favorite will certainly do)
    Another ½ teaspoon of cayenne pepper
    And most of the time I will add ½ teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes.

Mix all the ingredients together and pour over your meat. I usually let it marinate over night or at least 8-10 hours, but you can certainly let it sit longer. Slap the meat in the dehydrator and let it role. Depending on the thickness of your meat it could take anywhere from 6 -10 hours to do. Also, the more you have in the dehydrator the longer it takes as well. I have mine set so that a gallon bag of meet will fill my dehydrator up full. I usually cut my meat kinda thick, up to about ¼ of an inch in thickness. The more uniform in thickness they are the, the closer the time will be when each piece gets done. I almost always take pieces off along and along, usually starting at about 6 hours and some take up to 10, but usually around 8 hours. But to long, and like Slaya said, you will have petrified meat and will have to tenderize it with a hammer prior to eating. I would also suggest using only the best cuts of meat, like the back straps and cuts out of the hams. Lots of white crap/striation in the meat will mean toughness when its done. I have cut jerky from the front shoulders as well, but it is an ass of work to clean all the white crap out of the meat and I have found just really is not worth that much effort. I also cut my jerky across the grain of the meat, just a personal preference. It makes it a little easer to bite off and chew.
    There are plenty of jerky recipes out there, just do a search on the web and you will have all you could want. I picked one that I though would be good and then added the stuff that I though would make it better. Good luck
    I have 2 guns, one for each of you