Thread: smoked turkey

It is that time of year again. And no, I am not smoking Media Guy.

I was given one of those Brinkman electric smokers and I would like to smoke a bird. I suppose I should check it out to make sure it works.

Can any of y'all supply a good smoked turkey recipe. Or at least the plans for it. How long per pound, etc. I plan to fry one also so don't suggest doing that instead.

Thanks.

How hot ya going? 300F'll take 12-15min/pound.
    We gave you Corn,you gave us clap,bad trade.

DT-,

I'm not real familiar with the electrified Brinkmanns so bear with me, I'm a charcoal man myself.

Bird prep - Make sure the turkey is thawed thoroughly but remains cold. Remove all the stuff inside (neck, giblet pack, etc.), slice off the excess fat (but do not leave any meat exposed), and remove the leg holders. Next, I mix up a concoction of melted but cooled butter, Tabasco sauce, garlic juice, and Tony's seasoning. I inject the Turkey multiple times in the breast, thighs and legs using either a cooking injector or a large vet syringe (for horses). Just make sure that the opening/passage in the needle is large enough to pass whatever seasonings you inject. I suppose the butter/Tabasco mixture is close to 50/50 and the neat thing is that it solidifies right away since the turkey is cold and then begins to melt and internally baste the bird as it cooks. In spite of what yo might think, the turkey turns out spicy/tangy, not hot. Even my wife will eat it

Smoker - I would suggest using any type of fruit wood (apple, pecan, etc.) for flavoring but hickory works just fine if you can't find any fruit wood. Mesquite is a bit more bitter. A 16-20lb. bird usually takes about 8-9 hours over charcoal. Cooking time depends on the wind and weather. Your electric model should keep the temp more consistent. I would set your temp so the guage reads in the middle of the "ideal" range. Then I would check the bird at the 6-7 hour mark and see if the juices run clear or if the bird needs more time. Make sure you add wood every so often and check on the water level in your pan - add water as necessary and do not let it run dry!

Hope this helps.

And while you're at it DT, you might as well go ahead and get some sausage and pork ready to smoke along with your turkey. Put the turkey on the bottom rack and put the pork on the top rack. Suggest you hit Sam's Club and get some pork loin and cut it up into chops or small roasts. Depending on the thickness, the chops should take 1.5-2 hours. Get some Hilshire Farms sausage and put that on once the pork is done, should take about 1 hour and all the while the juices are dripping down on your turkey. Wrap in foil and freeze whatever you don't eat that day. Makes for a good and quick meal when you get home from work.

I might neeed a second smoker. These suggetions bring all kinds of thought to mind.