Thread: Duck Sausage

Does anyone on here have any recipes and tips on how to make link style, duck sausage?

I have never made duck sausage but I have made Italian link pork sausage. Generally we use butts or shoulders and since we don't add any fat to the mix its very lean. Heres the recipe amended for duck.

Coarse grind the duck meat twice.

Mix ground duck with fennel seeds, red wine, salt and pepper and anything else you want to put in there. Mix thoroughly.

Sample your mix in a frying pan to be sure you have enough salt before stuffing it into the casings. If the sausage is short on salt it WILL suck.

Squeeze the sausage into the casings.

The way I last had it was with a little pork fat mixed in with it, similar to how a processor will fo with venison sausage. That recipe sounds good.

Now when are wo going to do a Chicken Bog, boy?

FW, you didn't add ANY fat? I had some sausage one time that didn't have any fat added, and it turned into dust in my mouth. I mean, it didn't gather too well. You know? Just wonderin.
    Quote Originally Posted by dfasano View Post
    Don't speak for all of us.....stupid son a of a bitch (Dabo Swinney) needs to be spending his free time learning to coach instead of coming up with gay ass sayings.

There is fat in our sausage, we just don't add extra. Sausage that you buy at the grocer of processer will contain a shitload of fat because they make their sausage with scraps...which is mostly fat.

When Dietz and I make sausage we cut all the meat (lean and fat) and coarse grind it and mix it with the ingredients mentioned above. If I where going to use duck, or better yet goose, I would put at least 30% pork or beef fat into the mix. The reason we don't use too much fat is because its not really good for you and fatty sausage shrinks by half as the fat renders on the grill.

I've got a freezer full of it right now. Chap, lets get together and watch some of it burn while we consume adult beverages. Shoot me a PM when you get a chance.