Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .243 deer caliber

Nice deer. I would quit for the year.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Keep telling myself I'm going to take the .243 and kill one with those Bergers but I always grab something else.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by We Jeep Inn View Post
    My 10 yo son killed his 1st buck this past weekend with his .243 at 195yds. Deer made it 15 yds. He's 2-0 deer hunting with his .243 and he will let you know it.

Attachment 30114
    That kid is a killer.

My children have been killing the piss out of them with the .243. cheap ass 90 gr federal rounds. Oldest is 7 for 7 and he will tell you that too
    you aint did a dawg gon thang until ya STAND UP IN IT!- Theodis Ealey

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    The older I get, the more anal retentive I get.

To me, the 243 is a round that calls for a good bonded jacket bullet or a solid copper bullet like a Barnes, mostly because I like an exit wound. Which is why I don't shoot Bergers. With good shot placement, a 243 anchors 'em. But I've never owned one. The "lightest" caliber I've hunted with (and still do) is a 6.5mm Swede.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    People choose shitty projectiles, make poor shots, and look for an excuse. Very very deadly round
    This

been using a 120 grain bullet this season and i'm a believer

Quote Originally Posted by SBPep View Post
    been using a 120 grain bullet this season and i'm a believer
    That's definitely "heavy for caliber", which is the route I like to go, too.

I have twin grandsons with .243's

Both have dropped does with 1 shot. Longest track? 30yds
    Bluetick

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Rat View Post
    To me, the 243 is a round that calls for a good bonded jacket bullet or a solid copper bullet like a Barnes, mostly because I like an exit wound. Which is why I don't shoot Bergers. With good shot placement, a 243 anchors 'em. But I've never owned one. The "lightest" caliber I've hunted with (and still do) is a 6.5mm Swede.
    I use to shoot 90grn NBT in a Savage Predator. Only 1 took a step after being shot and he only went about 20yds. Never got an exit but those were like grenades going off inside the deer. With the .243, shot placement matters a lot more than with a heavier bullet in a larger caliber.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

awesome gun. Grew up in a family where we had 4 of them and have literally killed a couple of 200 whitetail with very few lost before we all switched to bow. Daughter still shoots one or two a year with it. They are thumping whitetail killers no matter what any doubter says.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    I use to shoot 90grn NBT in a Savage Predator. Only 1 took a step after being shot and he only went about 20yds. Never got an exit but those were like grenades going off inside the deer. With the .243, shot placement matters a lot more than with a heavier bullet in a larger caliber.
    I agree, but also like that extra penetration for the "when shit happens" occasions when things don't go as planned. And a lot of folks don't shoot as much as they should, and need insurance.

100 grain Hornady American Whitetail in .243 leaves a good blood trail and kills deer. I used to think .243 was weak. I think it is all about the bullet for that caliber.

100 grain Winchester power point has worked very well for us- I bought a 243 from Salty for my grandsons and we have killed a dozen with it- everybody wants to shoot it cause it's accurate, no kick, light and deadly.

100gr Federal Nosler Partition is what I shoot.

When I deer hunted, a .243 was my favorite caliber. If I ever deer hunt again, a .243 will be my favorite caliber.
    Crops are harvested, animals are killed.

Quote Originally Posted by MKW View Post
    When I deer hunted, a .243 was my favorite caliber. If I ever deer hunt again, a .243 will be my favorite caliber.
    What made you quit deer hunting?
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    What made you quit deer hunting?
    I moved to SC. LOL
    The deer hunting here is totally foreign to me. I have never hunted over bait and have never hunted with dogs. Where I grew up(S.GA), both were illegal. And I was totally spoiled cause, down there, I had a legitimate shot at seeing a 130"+ deer every time I hunted. I haven't seen that to be the case here in coastal SC. Guess I'm just a deer snob.
    The dog hunting interests me, the corn hunting "bait and wait" does not.
    Crops are harvested, animals are killed.

My kid ain't lost one yet.... SST superformance...
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Quote Originally Posted by Calibogue View Post
    My kid ain't lost one yet.... SST superformance...
    I've had good luck with those as well.