Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .243 deer caliber

Default .243 deer caliber

Why are there so many against the .243 as a deer caliber? Interested in your thoughts

I don't know but they get the job done if you have good shot placement!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bbhntr48 View Post
    Why are there so many against the .243 as a deer caliber? Interested in your thoughts
    Because they don't know how to shoot.
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    You're also one of select few clemings with sense.

People choose shitty projectiles, make poor shots, and look for an excuse. Very very deadly round
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

Very very deadly round
    I shot deer with a .243 from the time I was 10 years old well into my 40's. I never lost a deer I shot with it, and still pull it out and use it a couple times a year for old times sake.
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

You're also one of select few clemings with sense.

I've killed plenty of deer with a .243 from the age of 8 until I was 18. I think the biggest bodied deer that I've shot with one was 205 pounds and it busted through both shoulders without an issue.

I have always found it to be a great round. I started all 3 of my kids with it, and they never lost a deer with it. Figure I may pull it out of safe and do some killing

Dunno but mine has killed a shit pile of deer, and it will kill a lot more. I go back and forth between rifles/calibers year to year. My young nephew loves to shoot it now and will hopefully kill his first deer with it soon. My boys will shoot it as soon as they are able.

Didn't someone on here kill one like a mile away with one?

I've killed one with a .243 DRT. I killed my first one with the AR this year. 120lb doe at 60 yards. Neck shot DRT. I was impressed.

I pulled my old .243 Abolt out after a 5 year rest and replaced the trigger spring and put it in a Boyd's prairie hunter stock and it's back into the deer rifle rotation. After this season I'll ditch the 3-9x50 vx2 that's on it for a Trijicon and it will probably be one of my primary rifles again. I'm fixing to dig out my first rifle a Savage m11 .243 and get it a new stock, new trigger and some new glass. There's something about a .243 that I love but I can't explain it.

Its funny that you brought this up. I was reading an article on this topic the other day in American hunter magazine. A study was done and there was found to be link between caliber of deer rifle and pecker size. Its based off of guys "manliness". The same principle applies to men preferring V8 engines in their trucks over V6 and V4.

My 10 yo son killed his 1st buck this past weekend with his .243 at 195yds. Deer made it 15 yds. He's 2-0 deer hunting with his .243 and he will let you know it.

IMG_20171024_082814.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Love my little .243's. Its the only caliber that I deer hunt with now. Both of mine love the little Barnes 80gr ttsx.
    "If its better than cold beer and hot pussy it'll probably kill us all" ~ Rebel Son

223 with a 62gn ttsx will pass through a double shoulder shot
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    I've killed one with a .243 DRT. I killed my first one with the AR this year. 120lb doe at 60 yards. Neck shot DRT. I was impressed.
    MB, what bullet did you use?

Quote Originally Posted by We Jeep Inn View Post
    My 10 yo son killed his 1st buck this past weekend with his .243 at 195yds. Deer made it 15 yds. He's 2-0 deer hunting with his .243 and he will let you know it.

IMG_20171024_082814.jpg
    Heckuva nice deer! Congrats to your son!
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Quote Originally Posted by WoodieSC View Post
    Heckuva nice deer! Congrats to your son!
    He was pumped (I was too), not sure who was most excited. He took his time (as much as we had on a one lane logging road in a 3yo clear cut) placed his shot and let her rip. With any caliber it's shot placement.

Congrats to your son WJI, that is a fine looking buck.

243 with a ttsx is a killa period.
    Genesis 9;2

Incorrect griffin, it will lodge under the skin of the off shoulder