Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: wader recommendations...

Hey yall, im looking into doing a serious wader upgrade to some 5mm neoprenes.
    I believe the BassPro brand are on sale right now at around $140. Seems to me this is a good deal, and I will be going by basspro this weekend. Anyone had any experience with "Redhead" waders? I think they have 1000grams of insulation in the boot. Let me know, thanks.

MC is offline Daydreamer Extraordinaire

If you're planning to hunt next week a pair of tennis shoes would be your best bet. I have a pair of Lacrosse Brush Tuffs that are pretty decent waders. 5mm 1200grams of Thinsulate in the boot. Way more than you need in SC.

Question, How many years do ya'll get out of the $150.00+ waders. I've always got the cheap stocking foot for less than $70 and get about 3 years out of them. Was thinking about getting a good pair when these wearout. - for stocking foot is lack of insulation in the foot. + cheap and more comfortable to sit on floor of boat without big boots.
    Breaking clays<br />makes my day,<br />but eating skeet<br />ain\'t no treat.

I love my Lacrosse, they were about $160.00 I think. I normally get 3-5 years out of my neoprene.
    "You are Citadel Men, you have no pension for failure, you wear the Ring, you never let a friend down, you will be good fathers, husbands, and leaders in the armed forces and industry, you are strong in heart, body, and mind. You protect such things as Honor and Fidelity. Your virtues matter not only in wealth, but in the richness of family, you are the last of the knights."
    - late President Ronald Reagan

here are the one's on sale...
    yall think they are as tough as lacrosse, herters, etc?

redhead 5mm neoprene waders

That's the ones I was thinking about getting.
    Breaking clays<br />makes my day,<br />but eating skeet<br />ain\'t no treat.

well they are on sale (-$30)....i reckon thats enough incintive to go get a pair.

I bought a pair of red head bone dry waders a few years back. Bone dry my ass!! they leaked in the seams in several places the first season I used them. Every time I would fix one leak another one would appear.They may have improved since then. From now on I will buy only Lacrosse or Hodgeman. My hunting partner just bought a pair of Hodgeman duramags that look great

do they offer any warranty against manufactuer's defects?

I have no luck with Waders. I have gone through about 10 pairs in the last 5 years. I'm on my third pair of LaCross Brushtuff 1200's. Always leak in the crotch. I'm giving up. I just don't wade deeper than my crotch anymore, I just get in the boat if it's deeper.

gander we arent all as fortunate as you to have such a problem.....

rocky's new brush tuff waders-enough said
    \"We were walkin in high cotton, old times there are not forgotten\"

if theyre new, how would you know how they hold up against leaks and provide warmf.

Working on my third year in my Hodgmen Duramags. Bulky as heck, warm during the coldest of colds, walked through many of briar thickets with them, been in the salt water oyster beds with them, many pockets and extra D-rings to clip on extra gear, handwarmer pocket, etc..... They are a little more in price than others but have been the best I have ever bought so far.
    Life ain't easy and dry bread ain't greasy.

HAD TO BUY A NEW PAIR 3YRS AGO ON MY WAY TO A DRAW HUNT ON THE COAST (FORGOT MINE). ALL SIMPSONS HAD IN MY SIZE WAS LACROSSE. NEVER HAVE HAD A PROBLEM. ALREADY CHECKED EM OUTB FOR THIS YEAR. WHEN THEY DIE, I'LL GO WITH THE SAME. WHAT I NEED IS A GOOD PAIR OF INSULATED HIP BOOTS. A LOT OF PLACES I HUNT, THATS ALL I NEED AND I HATE THE BULKINESS OF WADERS WHEN I DON'T HAVE TO HAVE THEM. ANY SUGGESTIONS? HAVEN'T SEEN ANY IN LOCAL STORES.

I have decided to use hip boots this year over waders too.
    It worked out nicely during the early season, but I guess when it gets real cold I'll have to go back to the brush-tough's.

I like hippers as well, but when you got a big wet lab your butt is gonna get wet.

Hip Boots and a Boykin. All you'll ever need (although I do own a pair of Lacross neoprene something or anothers that I got at clothing world-- warm and comfortable and they haven't leaked in the 3 years that I've had this pair).

Seriously, I hate fumbling with waders and will avoid them at all costs, but damn if cold water on your nutz won't wake you up in January .

went with the hodgman 1000 gr 5mm neoprenes in Max4d (all they came in).

should be giving them a try as soon as they get here.

I've used a pair of 5mm chest waders from Cabela's for five years and they haven't leaked yet. They also stand behind they're products as good if not better than most.