Thread: 2 stroke -v- 4 stroke

DUCK MASTER is offline Professional Waterfowl Exterminator

i think this was on here awhile back.(sorry if it was) Let me know what you think about the comparison between 2 stroke and 4 stroke.
    If it ain't broke it ain't mine!

gas mileage!

I have a 115 yam. 4 stroke and like it. It is very good on fuel, quiet, and it's nice to just add gas to the tank when filling. I don't think I'll ever get a "large" 2 stroke again. As for smaller ones I don't know. They do weigh more than 2 strokes so that could be a problem on a small boat.
    Breaking clays<br />makes my day,<br />but eating skeet<br />ain\'t no treat.

i have 50 yamaha 2 stroke and is very quiet and has alot of torque. i test drove a 50 4stoke and it was no comparison. it was just a little quieter idleing but just as loud on top end. the 2 stroke will throw you back in the seat while the 4 stroke was real sluggish to go. on the top end the 2 stroke is a couple mph's faster. i usually carry abunch of guys w/ me hunting/fishing and i had a 30 2 stroke, but it didn't have the hole shot i needed. the 50 2 stroke was definetley what i needed.

In short, I'd recommend a 4s with a little extra hp. Soo quiet, easier to fuel and great gas mileage. I prefer a 4s with about as much hp as a boat is rating for unless I'm going to be dragging it over dikes or hauling in the pickup. I have a 40hp 4s on a jon boat, and it's very nice and quiet. It's easier to sneak into a hunting spot.

I owned a 130hp 2s Yamaha on a Scout 185 that I bought before Yamaha came out their 150hp 4s. The dealer recommended the 115hp 4s, but I spoke to another guy who owned that rig and said it had too little power. If I were buying that boat today, I'd buy the Yamaha 150hp 4s.

Yamaha has performance bulletins that you can use to compare various combinations of engines & boats. Try this: Yamaha Performance Bulletins

2 stroke (1989 merc) 25 Black max on a custom camo Jon boat. 6 gallon tank and can't run out of fuel in one day. It has really taken a beating and done well. 4 stokes weigh a lot more when dealing with a small boat.
    They say the only time a fishermen tells the truth is when he tells you another fisherman is a liar.

I've got a 150 4 stroke Yamaha on a 21' SeaPro. It's a great motor, quite, and very fuel efficient. My last trip offshore, I ran 96 miles round trip on about 25 gallons (3.84 mpg). I'd recommend a 4 stroke no matter what size boat you've got. The 2 strokes do have more power out of the hole, but I think the good points of a 4 stroke out weigh a little more hole shot. Plus a 4 stoke is silent. When my 150 is idling in neutral, you can hear the motor pissing hitting the water b/c the engine is so quite.

for bigger boats they are okay because they can handle the weight.

but the smaller jon boats that wont work as easy.

i needed a motor to get my boat out of the hole due to a large load(50 2-stroke) or (90 4-stroke)

90 is just to big on a 1548 duracrft

I am not sure what size motor you are looking for?
    I do not and have not owend a 4 stroke but have been told by several that the 4 strokes are weak in the power department.
    My first mercury optimax was a 150 on a 19ft cc key west w/t-top and I could go to charleston and back from taw-caw on 35-40 gallons of fuel. I just bought a 200 optimax and hope to get the same results.
    The mercury/yamaha dealer told me this last time that the optimax is more fuel efficient than the 4 stroke mercury verado ($3000 more). I don't know about the yamaha's.
    "You are Citadel Men, you have no pension for failure, you wear the Ring, you never let a friend down, you will be good fathers, husbands, and leaders in the armed forces and industry, you are strong in heart, body, and mind. You protect such things as Honor and Fidelity. Your virtues matter not only in wealth, but in the richness of family, you are the last of the knights."
    - late President Ronald Reagan