Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lock-on stands

Anybody got a preference on Lock-on deer stands? I am getting into this bowhunting and need some more stands. I think the lock-on is the way to go. they are cheap and pretty portable. any ideas? how about screw-in steps versus the climbing sticks or ladders. any help would be appreciated...
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

MC is offline Daydreamer Extraordinaire

2thdoc, I've got several different brand hang on stands. I really like the LocOn brand, they are good stands and pretty reasonable on the pocket book. Unfortunately they seem to get harder and harder to find but you can get them off the web and a few other places. Both the aluminum grate and the plastic floor with the carpet are good. My absolute favorite hang on stand is the Lone Wolf. They are rock solid, very comfortable, will last forever, but they are not cheap. Do a search on the web for Lone Wolf or go to www.bowsite.com, everybody over there loves them too. With stands I think you get what you pay for. I have bought a bunch of cheap ones before and regret it, go ahead and pony up and get good ones. Also the Copperhead by Summit is nice, and you can get more cables so you can have multiple sites without having to buy so many stands.

As to the steps vs. the ladders. I have both, and like both. Stay away from the Ameristep steps, they are a pain to get in the tree. Candor has a bunch of steps that screw in and then you can take the step out and leave the bolt in the tree, those are nice for the first couple steps to keep your stands secure from theft or unwanted hunting but that may not be an issue for you. The ladders are really nice, I have a bunch of the summit ladders, they are secure, safe, and easy to use. The only thing is they are more cumbersome to carry in the woods than the screw in steps. I use the steps for when I am going in a tough to get to place and the ladders everywhere else.

The only concern I have ever had is that with the steps sticking out of the tree, it is not likely going to happen, but if you ever fell down the side of the tree and caught just right, those steps would gut you from navel to neck in about a quarter of a second. With the ladders I have they have an enclosed step that would not impale you if you fell on them. Just a thought. I'm always nervous climbing on a tree with steps thinking about how bad those things would cut you if you ever fell, but I still use them a lot.

The Gorilla lock-ons are nice for those larger ones of us. Real solid and the seats are high enough that you can stand up easily and quietly. Not too pricey.

2th...I registered myself as a loc-on dealer and bought a bunch of the "Lem" stands. they are pretty decent stands for the cost. Lone Wolf stands are by far and above the best. Solid, way quiet, fold up seat, big platform...just very pricey.

I use screw in steps. Cranford E-Z climbs are the best. Either the single fold or the fixed. These steps will screw into the hardest of trees in seconds. Much better than any other steps.

I would prefer to have ladders but they are expensive, less mobile, and take more room to store.

The loc-on type stands I have are Amacker, Loc-on-Limit, and Loc-on-Lem, the Lem stand is probably the hardest to set up but its a pretty good value. Small seat though.
    If you don't know me how could I offend you?

If you are not a member of Delta or DU then you are living on duck welfare.

Check out this ladder. Anybody have this one?

http://www.summitstands.com/summit02_Swiftree.htm
    I had an ant farm once......them fellas didn't grow shit.

MC is offline Daydreamer Extraordinaire

Yep, those are the ones I have. That shows what I was talking about with not being able to impale you on the steps.

There's a guy in Red Bank that makes an inexpensive platform-only chain up stand. I have a few and they work great. I use a stick ladder to get to it, and use an API Bobcat treeseat.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

I've tried a bunch of different brands. Screw in steps are the most discreet, which is a consideration if you don't want your stand stolen. Ameristep makes a gizmo that make screwing in their steps easier. It's a heavy iron handle that the step can be mounted in so you can get it started with a good whack and then crank it in with the handle. The steps are still dangerous as mentioned above. Ladder sticks are the easiest to climb but they are cumbersome to tote.

I recently broke down and bought a Lone Wolf Sit-n-Climb. This thing is fantastic and would be easier to set up than a regular lock on even when not used as a climber. I feels more stable too. Almost any hang-on stand can be steadied up with ratchet straps. As for the Lone Wolf as a climber, it is incredibly quiet and easy to set up. I can even adjust the angle of the seat or platform in the tree with the easy adjusting cam locks. No loose parts to lose in the dark and nothing to clank together. It has a rifle rest that you can swing completely out of the way for bow hunting and a strap seat with an optional foam cushion. The whole thing folds up and stacks to make a compact backpack. It even has a built in bow holder. I love it and I'm going to shoot a buck tomorrow from it.

Tommy

I HATE Ameristep steps...bought a dozen and took them back. Cranfords are so much easier to use. Sorry to be negative after your post PB...

Can I borrow your loan wolf some time? I got a loggy bayou climber and its dam nice..you want to trade?
    If you don't know me how could I offend you?

If you are not a member of Delta or DU then you are living on duck welfare.

Of course LUTHIS OF GREENVILLE has Lone wolf stands in case yall is interested. Sorry, had to plug Luthis. Lone Wolfs' are not carried by but a handful of folks in SC, so you can see em there!
    At least I'm housebroken.

I prefer LocOn brand Myself.

I would imagine that 2th has probably done something about getting some stands in the 2+ years since he started this thread.

No offense CD, it looks like someone is trying to rack up a bunch of posts pretty quick by dredging up some really old threads.

Good call Kirk,

sorry I wasn't paying closer attention. lol

Best way to start those screw-in steps is with a cordless drill.

Actully the best way to start those steps is with a little bit of umpppphhh

O and the lone wolf and baby Gorilla is my favorite as well

tradorion Coots

Coming in on this one late- my preferences having used a 1/2 doz brands are API i think it is their Mag and even better is the Gorilla series.

Seat O the Pants is a MUST or one of the other new vests- just definitely have a full body harness.

If your stands are staing in place- some sort of ladder is nice- as you well know, chain it and the stand in place... or use a ladder piece and some screw in steps- steps on bottom and pull them when you leave- that way you have less work to do when you come back and the stand/ladder are semi-safe.

For "run and gun" loc-on work I no longer use screw in steps- if the weather is even a little bit warm you sweat your ass off. I go with strap on steps and they are faster, easier, and support weight just as well as a screw-in step.

tradorion Coots

and then right after going to the trouble to post this and thinking "damn- missed this one last week" I scrolled up thinking i'd PM ole 2-fer with the info as well- then I saw that he was asking in friggin OCTOBER 2002....

damn- i must be stoooopid.

Tooth I prefer the loc-ons made by gorilla. You can get them with a 24x30 platform and big seat for around $69 or so. I also prefer the stick ladders. It only takes one screw in step to break under your foot to get you spooked. Walmart normally carries the stick ladders and gorilla treestands.
    "You are Citadel Men, you have no pension for failure, you wear the Ring, you never let a friend down, you will be good fathers, husbands, and leaders in the armed forces and industry, you are strong in heart, body, and mind. You protect such things as Honor and Fidelity. Your virtues matter not only in wealth, but in the richness of family, you are the last of the knights."
    - late President Ronald Reagan

I like the homemade wooden loc-on stands the best. They are cheap and last forever!
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.