Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another tragedy

Default Another tragedy

A friend who used to be the caretaker for Botany Bay before the state gained control recently had the cable on his climber stand pop. He fell and broke his back in multiple places and severed his spinal cord. It is looking like he will, at best, be wheelchair bound the rest of his life.

Wear a safety harness when your feet leave the ground and keep it attached to the tree. No matter how careful or good a climber you are, there is no reason to bet your life on the integrity of the equipment you use. Don't let an equipment failure land you in the hospital or funeral home. With a climber, you can use a lineman's belt type rig. If you suffer an equipment failure like this, you will still probably get scuffed up but you may not fall to the ground and cripple or kill yourself.

I also know people that have suffered serious injuries after a fall from ladder stands. Even if you are careful on the ladder, you never know if a critter or animal rights whacko has sabotaged the straps that hold up the stand. If you leave the ground, wear a harness and keep it attached.

Sorry to hear about your friend and prayers for him and his family. Another reason why I went to ground blinds.
    I take an PLB in the shower with me. Can't ever be too safe.

Whats it like to live w/o the Internet? Not bad, I get photos of your mom thought the mail....

"I'd like to know more about this. Someone give cottontop a bump of coke."
    Sportin' Woodies

Very,very sorry to hear

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

I had a cable break a few years ago. Luckily I had just started my climb and was only a few feet off the ground. Scary stuff.

Replace old stands with new. I had this climber since the mid 90s and loved it, but should have retired it long ago.
    Last edited by M2Field; 10-04-2019 at 07:05 AM.

Bruce?
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    Bruce?
    Yeah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Islandguy85 View Post
    Yeah

Damn. Bruce and my father are friends and my dad's college roommate is one of Bruce's best friends. They let me sit in that dove field at Botany when I was 8 and shoot almost 5 boxes of shells out of a 20 gauge single shot. The fishing in those ponds used to be world class. I am very sorry to hear this news.
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

Terrible

Every time I second guess being tied off to a tree tragedies like this flood my mind. So sorry to see this news. Prayers for your friend.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

Very sorry to hear! Tough lesson for all of us.

One of my dads friends just fell. Multiple rib and spinal fractures.

Was this a summit cable that broke

Quote Originally Posted by ScLowCountry View Post
    One of my dads friends just fell. Multiple rib and spinal fractures.

Was this a summit cable that broke
    I am not sure. I was told by someone else that it may have been a lock on stand that could have been old and/or unchecked prior to use this season and tree spikes in the tree. Climbed up, sat down, and it snapped. He was able to get his phone out of his pocket and called for help. They had a little difficulty finding him and once they did they packed him up and airlifted him out.

Horrible
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

Just terrible. I cant fathom not being tied off in a stand, least of all a loc on....

Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Bruce ran one special piece of heaven for many years. It is a great reminder to all of us.

Terrible. Things can happen in an instant.

Really sorry to hear about your friend. Best wishes for his recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by Islandguy85 View Post
    I am not sure. I was told by someone else that it may have been a lock on stand that could have been old and/or unchecked prior to use this season and tree spikes in the tree. Climbed up, sat down, and it snapped. He was able to get his phone out of his pocket and called for help. They had a little difficulty finding him and once they did they packed him up and airlifted him out.
    This is one reason I double strap every stand, even climbers, just in case one snaps. Just a thought for others.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Man I hate hearing these stories. I watched my dad fall 30 feet from a stand we were building. RR Conductor and several others on here remember it well also. He never fully recovered from it.

Sorry to hear this and prayers sent to all.

I hate to hear this! Bruce is a daggum great guy and has my prayers for certain. I hated the old style harnesses that are vest like or with shoulder straps, switched to a true rock climbing harness and love the thing, get one and wear it !
    Genesis 9;2