Thread: PDA w/ GPS

Does anybody have one? Do you have the add-in GPS unit or the Garmin that is made together? Do they work as well as a handheld? I've gone through two Palms in the last two years and have to get another one. Palms don't seem to be very durable. What has your experience been? Thanks in advance.

JP
    Honey...I'll do it after the season is over.

Originally Posted by cudexter
    I would argue that JP has the highest "quality" to "trash talk" post ratio on this site.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Air Raid
    ... Wait till 3 years from now! ...

Stand alone GPS units are very rugged and waterproof. Any PDA is not nearly as rugged as a GPS that includes Garmin's iQUE.

I currently use an HP iPAQ 4150. It's a great unit and has bluetooth so it would work with a Bluetooth GPS.

But if I were purchasing a PDA for use as a GPS, I'd get a HP iPAQ 2215 with a Garmin cf Que.

http://www.garmin.com/products/cfQue/

HP2215
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

MC is offline Daydreamer Extraordinaire

I would second Rubberhead* on the HP iPAQ units. My line of work is GIS consulting and we have set up quite a few clients with applications using these units for GPS data collection as well as running customized workorders etc. and they work very well. There are some ruggedized cases that you can look into but no matter what you get, they aren't waterproof!!

I'm not going the PDA route at all - just gonna semi-retire my old Magellan Tracker and get a Garmin GPS Map 76C.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Another handy tool to load on your PDA is TideTool. If you hunt or fish the coast, it is worth buying the PDA just to have this feature. If it didn't come on your unit, you can download it for free from Palm's website.

My first PDA was an HP, and although I liked the Windows CE operating system I had more problems with that unit than it was worth - I fianally traded it in on a Palm. Of course, all of the PDA's have improved drastically in the last couple of years (and they're obviously much cheaper now, as well).

I have the Magellan unit that snaps onto a Palm V. It's OK but the V doesn't have much memory for all maps. I used it a couple times while tracking deer at night to help me find my way out.

Not long after I got it, I upgraded to a Garmin GPSMap76S. It's pretty nice and there are no worries about getting it wet.

Tommy

Thanks for the replies. I should have clarified the question. I've got a Garmin 72 - waterproof and floats -- works great. MY PDA has gone out and I need to replace it. Not sure to go with integrated PDA/GPS or PDA with GPS add-on. Thanks for your input.
    Honey...I'll do it after the season is over.

Originally Posted by cudexter
    I would argue that JP has the highest "quality" to "trash talk" post ratio on this site.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Air Raid
    ... Wait till 3 years from now! ...

Originally posted by Wad Shooter:
    Another handy tool to load on your PDA is TideTool. If you hunt or fish the coast, it is worth buying the PDA just to have this feature. If it didn't come on your unit, you can download it for free from Palm's website.

My first PDA was an HP, and although I liked the Windows CE operating system I had more problems with that unit than it was worth - I fianally traded it in on a Palm. Of course, all of the PDA's have improved drastically in the last couple of years (and they're obviously much cheaper now, as well).
    I agree about the tide tool. The Garmin 60 and 76 series GPS units include a great tide tool.

I also purchased a $30 watch from Boaters World that had a decent tide tool (albeit it only works for one tide station).
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Just a note- the Garmin IQue PDA has extremely poor battery life. If they can fix that and make the PDA rugged enough, it should be a worthwhile product for the hunting/fishing crowd.
    At least I'm housebroken.

I just bought the garmin pda with the gps and have only had it a week .Everything works pretty well but the battery life kind of sucks.I don't think it is a very rugged unit. Probably best suited for car use ,not the swamp.