Thread: Mosquito Deleto / Vac / Magnet ?

I have been looking at these Mosquito traps for the backyard. I was wondering if anyone on here has one. If so, which kind and what have been your results?

Thanks in advance!
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

I have a friend with one and he has had a ton of trouble with it... I do not think it works that well either.
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went."
    Will Rogers

I went to Lowes and bought a Mosquito Deleto only because they did not have that high $ eradicator. I also bought a new light zapper.

The mosquito deleto has more air blown garbage on it than it does mosquitos. The mosquitos are around it but they are not stuck to the trap.

I am having to clean off the bug zapper every couple of days. It seems to be nailing the mosquitos better than the old light I had.

My sister has one of those high $ items at her house and it seems to work right well. They live on a lake and I live on a creek. We both have the bugs. I wish I had gotten their brand.

Also, a friend has one of those expensive models and says it keeps their yard at McClellanville free of the mosquitos and no-see-ums.

This is my 3rd year with the Mosquito Magnet. It works really well. Wife and kids are in the pool daily during the season and we don't have problems with mosquitoes, no-see-ums or biting flies.

A problem does occur for a few days w/ a really strong thunderstorm w/ wind. It blows the mosquitoes back into the area. After a couple of days, the machine clears them out again.

Mine covers 1 acre, burns about a tank of propane a month and I only got two bites at the house last summer. I'd buy it again. Cost about $500.00.

Hope this helps. (PS This is not a paid endorsement)
    Honey...I'll do it after the season is over.

Originally Posted by cudexter
    I would argue that JP has the highest "quality" to "trash talk" post ratio on this site.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Air Raid
    ... Wait till 3 years from now! ...

the problem with those devices is that the "attractant" that it uses actually repels asian tiger mosquitos, so you need to use the propane only... what I have found to be much more effective is removal of un-needed bushes, trimming trees, dumping any stagnant water and spraying of the remaining bushes and trees with permethrin.

Hey Moatsy, is there any place to get permethrin in something other than those $5 > $6 spray cans?
    My LBL Stash is about to run out.
    Reloading is one of the few times in life when it pays to allow yourself to be truly paranoid!

"Y'all be safe out there"
    NRA Lifer 1970

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

You can get it in concentrate even at Wally World. If you have a friend with a pesticide lic. you can get the real good stuff for a lot less if you buy in quantity. It still ain't cheap though. FWIW, Permethrin works great but direct sunlight will kill it in just a few days.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.