Thread: ? gps

I am planning on purchasing a gps soon . I just want some input about the brands and models . I do not want a color screen . I am undecided between Garmin and Magellan . I want a gps that is easy to use and is good qaulity I just want the best gps for the money . I will use the gps for hunting and fishing . Where is the best place to buy one for the best price ? thanks .

Both will take some time to learn correctly. I have had two of the Garmins and really like them. They are kinda like 4 wheelers... they are all good... just what your preferences are.
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went."
    Will Rogers

I have the Garmin etrex in camo. Its not as powerful as some of the others out there, but marks points, saves routes, pretty much all the things I was looking for. It also has a feature I really like which is the sunrise, sunset times, as well as the feeding times for game and fish. I think the camo model is the only one that has this. For $110 it was everything I wanted. But like has already been said, I'm sure they are all good and probably all have some special features that are really helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Your heart ain't like your balls, ya only got one...
    All you need is a body built for discipline and a mind that can justify so much apparent self-abuse.

This is the best one out there that's not color.

Garmin GPS 76 Map

Better than the GPSMap 76 is the GPSMap 76S. It has a built-in electronic compass. If you're standing still, a GPS doesn't know which direction it is being held, it only knows its current location. It can only discern the direction when you start moving. If you're in the thick woods and can only get a good signal in a small clearing, you can figure out which way to go without a separate compass.

The basemap is pretty good right out of the box but I also recommend getting more detailed maps. I have Mapsource Metroguide for mine. It has channel markers and surprisingly good detail of creeks. In the country, is has most roads are named and even dirt roads usually are shown if you zoom in tight. It also has a find feature that will pinpoint a street address. I always take mine on car trips.

The desktop computer program that comes with the maps is worth the price. With it you can save waypoints, upload trip routes that the program automatically computes, do searches for places, measure distances, etc. I've been using mine to plot the boundaries of some property. I ride the ATV all around the edges of fields and fence lines and then upload my track and any waypoints I created. Then I can do things like measure shooting distances from tree stands or the size of fields.

I love the 76S but I REALLY want the 76SC. The color screen would help a lot now that my vision is going to hell.

Tommy

Good place for low prices on GPS or marine electronics

http://www.brokenlegdave.com/

can also check or search for model # at

http://www.pricegrabber.com

Best option I found is to print out price off broken leg dave's site including cart and shipping cost... take to a local West Marine store and they will price match... if they do not have the unit in stock they will ship it to your home at no cost.

got a garmen 5 for sale paid 500$ for it in 01 i think. never really used it 3 or 4 times maybe, check prices on ebay and make me an offer..

You can also buy them from www.thegpsstore.com

I first had a garmin 12. When the 72 came out, I got it.

If you want a great gps with everything you need get the 72 for 159.00.

If you are feeling frisky, spend another 50 and get the 76.

The only thing on my GPS wish list is more waypoint memory. I am fast approaching the 500 mark.

My opinion, get the 72 from walmart for 159.00.

Originally posted by OffshoreDuck21:
    This is the best one out there that's not color.

Garmin GPS 76 Map
    YOU CAN'T BEAT IT!!!!!!
    Good to talk, see you out there!

Instead of the GPSMap 76, get the GPSMap76-S. The "S" model has a built in compass and altimeter. The compass comes in handy in places where you have to stay in one spot to get a signal , like deep in the woods. Normally, a GPS can't tell which way you are pointing it unless you are moving.

The 76S is great but I'd rather have the color model.

Tommy

I have the Garmin GPS MAP 76CS and love it. No more getting lost on Lake Murray in the fog! Now I just have to worry about running into another duck hunter in the fog!

And it FLOATS... yes, I tested that.

I got that, and the Mapsource software for it, and it's the trick. I just need the Topo and Bluechart stuff for here and I'll be set.

Good accessories to get - 12 volt cigarette lighter power cord. Although it gets decent battery life as is.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Just sold my GPSMAP 76S to upgrade to GPSMAP 76CS. It's great...112 Mb of memory (took 93 Mb to load DE, MD, VA, NC, SC, Chesepeake bay and bordering areas of WV, TN and GA for MapSource Recreational Lakes software), easy on the batteries and the color makes it very easy to read. Got Blue Chart sectional software on the way. Garmin has a $50 rebate on most models until end of the year.

In addition to the power adapter get a Ram mount for your unit. The Garmin marine mount didn't fair too well on my skiff and the Ram mount is much sturdier.
    "The real reason fish jump - they don't have a middle finger!"

I've got the Garmin 72. It's my second one. Really like it. It is water proof and does float and is pretty easy to use. Amen to the 12-volt power cable. Battery life only lasts about 2-3 trips in green-water. Maybe 24 hours max. The color would be nice, but the adjustment ont he grayscale lets me set it up pretty good for almost all light conditions. If the 76's are is good, I'd say you can't go wrong w/ a Garmin. I've never used a Magellan.

JP
    Honey...I'll do it after the season is over.

Originally Posted by cudexter
    I would argue that JP has the highest "quality" to "trash talk" post ratio on this site.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Air Raid
    ... Wait till 3 years from now! ...