Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is the best low light scope you have actually ever hunted with?

Nightforce

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    Make sure it has a reticle you can see in low light. 6, 60, 20 etc. those Rapid z and complex reticles are too fine.

I like a #4, I just shoot them the best for some reason. Having a small dim dot helps too.
    Here is the link.

http://www.eurooptic.com/zeiss-victo...cle-rz800.aspx

Personally, for the type of hunting I do where most of my shots are in really low light, I'd pass on the RZ. It's great for a BDC style reticle but my eyes aren't what they use to be. Couple that with progressive lenses, in a hunting situation at most known distances, I want simple. Maybe someone here hunts with one and can share pros and cons.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Personally, for the type of hunting I do where most of my shots are in really low light, I'd pass on the RZ. It's great for a BDC style reticle but my eyes aren't what they use to be. Couple that with progressive lenses, in a hunting situation at most known distances, I want simple. Maybe someone here hunts with one and can share pros and cons.
    Personally I it shouldnt be an issue for me. I have another scope with it and dont mind it at all. If I choose the Zeiss this will be the one I go with.

Quote Originally Posted by b-stick View Post
    How do you like the tangent compared to the Schmidt’s or March?

I’ve been eyeing them for a few months now.
    The Tanget Theta are incredibly pricey and though worth it I can't stand the thought of that much coin on glass these days when the NXS runs so close with it, the KISS theory holds truer with me these days.

Loved the Premier LT (should have bought them all when they were discounted by Euro optics). Owned the March 42mm briefly, loved it but eye box sucked (for me) great glass and lighter weight, sold it due to eye box. SnB in tactical line awesome but heavier, also great glass but too heavy. Owned the IOR Snipers Hide edition ( never endorsed by SH but the name stuck) Awesome reticle, awesome glass but the 42mm obj won't run with a 56mm light transmition wise, sold it... In the end my go to for everything at range is a NXS in 56mm either 3.5-15 or 5.5-22 due to cost alone. I sold out and was able to buy two NXS for the price of one of either SnBs or March. Traded the Premier like a jack arse for a USO that was freaking cumbersome, sold that, settled on all NXS.

For short range rigs < 300 I always carry a lighter rig with a Kahles helia C 56mm and know the drops on reticle subtensions (FFP) comfortable inside of 400 on paper. I wouldn't feel comfy using that method on live critter, its not a hail mary but sort of is at the same time confidence wise) beyond 300 with my drops to be honest. Dialing is always better in the end over 300.
    Last edited by Strick9; 10-03-2017 at 09:09 PM.
    Genesis 9;2

Zeiss Victory V8 1.8–14x50 is the finest hunting scope I've ever used, period. NOTHING I've ever used comes close to it. BUT, the damn thing is in the 3 grand range.

I own, and hunt with, Zeiss Conquest, Kahles CL, and S&B Summit. The Kahles is the best HUNTING scope in the bunch, due mainly to the 4A reticle.
    All 3 are clear enough to see into last couple minutes across a big field. But, I can see the 4A reticle well enough to make a shot in that last couple of minutes, better than the other 2. Personally, I think the Kahles has a slight edge in color contrast during that last 5 minutes than the Zeiss or the S&B. I feel I get just a hair better look at a bucks horns with it during that last 5 minutes.

I've owned, and used a couple of Swarovski's in years past, but all have gone down the road simply because the crosshairs were just too thin for my taste. It doesn't do a damn bit of good to be able to see a buck in low light, if you can't make out the crosshairs.

Quote Originally Posted by Strick9 View Post
    The Tanget Theta are incredbly pricey and though worth it I can't stand the thought honestly these days when the NXS runs so close with it, the KISS theory holds truer with me these days.

Loved the Premier LT (should have bought them all when they were discounted by Euro optics). Owned the March 42mm briefly, loved it but eye box sucked (for me) great glass and lighter weight, sold it due to eye box. SnB in tactical line awesome but heavier, also great glass but too heavy. Owned the IOR Snipers Hide edition ( never endorsed by SH but the name stuck) Awesome reticle, awesome glass but the 42mm obj won't run with a 56mm light transmition wise, sold it... In the end my go to for everything at range is a NXS in 56mm either 3.5-15 or 5.5-22 due to cost alone. I sold out and was able to buy two NXS for the price of the SnBs and March. Traded the Premier like a jack arse for a USO that was freaking cumbersome, sold that, settled on all NXS.

For short range rigs < 300 I always carry a lighter rig with a Kahles helia C 56mm and know the drops on reticle subtensions (FFP) comfortable inside of 400 on paper. I wouldn't feel comfy using that method on live critter, its not a hail mary but sort of is at the same time confidence wise) beyond 300 with my drops to be honest. Dialing is always better in the end over 300.
    I’ve held my atacr side by side with the 5-25 pmii and the uso 5-25. There wasn’t enough noticeable difference to me between the 3. There is a noticeable different on the edges at full power between my NXS and atacr. As far as hunting goes, it isn’t enough to justify the price difference.

Persoanally I would rather have the nxs over the vortex razors.

Pretty sure I have decided to go with the Zeiss Diavari Victory 3x12x56 with the #4 reticle.......

Kahles Helia C 3-12x56mm. I also have a Swarovski Z6 2-12x50mm and the Kahles is the better of the two.

Quote Originally Posted by Geetch View Post
    Kahles Helia C 3-12x56mm. I also have a Swarovski Z6 2-12x50mm and the Kahles is the better of the two.
    Really? I think that is the one Salty had for sale.

Kahles is clearer out to the edges and has better light gathering, at least to my eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Biggie1976 View Post
    Pretty sure I have decided to go with the Zeiss Diavari Victory 3x12x56 with the #4 reticle.......
    Doubt you'd go wrong there. It have illumination? I like my faint dot when I got a dark background on the deer/pig, just helps find center quickly.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Doubt you'd go wrong there. It have illumination? I like my faint dot when I got a dark background on the deer/pig, just helps find center quickly.
    I believe so. I will double check

My Zeiss Diavari 6-24x56 is the best I've ever looked through, I imagine the 3-12x56 would do better in low light. Used a Kahles 3-9x40 some, it was great too.

I will say anybody overlooking the Leupold VX-6 and 6HD lines is making a mistake. My 3-18x50 VX-6 glass is very, very much in the same league as my Zeiss.

That is something I never thought I would say about Leupold, but they have come a long way with their "top tier" glass so I have to give them their due. Don't worry, my old VX3 still looks like shit.

My 7 X 56 Meopta is really good, although all I shoot are fixed power scopes. Low light vision is subject to the condition of your eyes like Salty said , whats good for one is not always good for the masses. When I had variable scopes they always stayed on 7 or 8 power and were never moved.

Think about how many 6 X 42 scopes have been used in the West for many years and still are with great success, but low light is not generally an issue out there, at least it was not for me.

I've got a FX3 6x42 on a model 7. Great scope, super rugged and plenty bright. Zeiss 3-12 x 56 would be my choice for shooting deer in the dark.

Quote Originally Posted by b-stick View Post
    I’ve held my atacr side by side with the 5-25 pmii and the uso 5-25. There wasn’t enough noticeable difference to me between the 3. There is a noticeable different on the edges at full power between my NXS and atacr. As far as hunting goes, it isn’t enough to justify the price difference.

Persoanally I would rather have the nxs over the vortex razors.
    Much agreed, though the weight of the ATACR puts it out for me.. Been looking hard at the Kahles 312I at 29 oz, great glass and mechanics, but it always comes to tinkering and I am happy with the NXS enough to just ponder them for now.
    Genesis 9;2

Anyone run the vortex 3-12 X 56 illuminated? I'm all for top end glass, but my budget wont often allow it. Incidentally PA is having a sale on them this week, mount included for $299 so I have one in route.
    JT
    Politicians and diapers must be changed often. And for the same reason.

swaro X5(i) 5-25x56 - It embarrassed my ziess
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

Well I have the Z7 Swarokski, 56mm, 30mm tube and I'mma gonna tell ya, it ain't worth the money, but it is better than my 20+ year old Leupold and Simmons.
    Last edited by mudflat; 10-05-2017 at 04:34 PM.
    Low country redneck who moved north