Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cormorant killing

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Cormorant killing

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service is about to take its first major step to regain the authority to kill problematic cormorants via depredation permits, a move that could reopen site-specific shooting of the aquatic birds in Minnesota and other Great Lakes states by next spring.

It’s been more than a year since a federal judge terminated the culling of double-crested cormorants across the country. Wildlife officials in many states have been yearning for the return of the control measure — even if on a limited basis. Minnesota is one of 24 states affected by the ruling.

“We needed to take a closer look at the effects [on cormorants],” said Tom Cooper, regional chief of the Fish and Wildlife Service’s Migratory Bird Program in Bloomington.

Cooper said the agency will publish a draft environmental assessment within weeks for a plan that would provide more accountability and a new, big-picture look at cormorant population effects before fish farmers, lakeshore property owners, bait suppliers and others can receive authority to kill cormorants. Those requests are considered only when fireworks and other nonlethal control measures fail to halt damage caused by the gangly birds, Cooper stressed.

Cooper said the first step in regaining permitting authority deals with depredation related to human health and safety, damage to aquaculture, damage to private property and concern for nesting species crowded out by cormorants.

Mille Lacs Bassmaster tournament will work with DNR to limit fish kills
    Not addressed in the current campaign but lurking in the background is a second type of depredation authority to kill the fish-eating birds on lakes where they are believed to be hurting fish populations. That authority, too, was nixed last spring in the ruling by U.S. District Judge John D. Bates of Washington, D.C. He said the agency needed a stronger biological foundation before it could resume handing out the two types of culling permits.

Natural calling
    The judge sided with environmental groups who said shooting cormorants for eating fish is like shooting buffalo for eating grass. The goose-sized birds are native to North America and shared the same decline as American bald eagles when the farm pesticide DDT almost wiped them out in the 1970s.

University of Minnesota population studies estimated only 600 nesting pairs of cormorants in the Great Lakes area in 1977. Their numbers surged in the region to a peak of 112,600 nests in 2005, giving rise to nuisance complaints in Minnesota and elsewhere from anglers, resort owners, tourism officials, minnow pond operators and others. Alleged cormorant damage has been studied on at least three big Minnesota walleye lakes — Mille Lacs, Vermilion and Leech — but the birds have been hunted by permitted sharpshooters on many other water bodies, including Lake Waconia, Wells Lake in Rice County and lakes in the Breezy Point area.

Cooper said the agency is first focusing on restoring permit authority to deal with tangible damage reports. The broader “public resource” depredation permit needed for stopping cormorants from feeding on free-swimming perch, walleye and other fish requires more complex justification.

“Sometimes it’s a real problem, sometimes it’s not,” Cooper said. “We want good science backing up the decisions we make.”

For now, Minnesota lake property owners, bait dealers and some ecologists are looking forward to the possible return of permit authority to attack cormorants on sites where they are causing damage to other nesting birds, minnow stocks, trees and other vegetation on lakes.

“We’re trying to get back more tools to control them,” Cooper said.

From 2004 to early 2016, for instance, Minnesota killed 19,200 cormorants on aquaculture depredation permits. Those killing permits primarily went to bait dealers whose minnow ponds were hit by colonies of the black-feathered birds. Since 2011, all cormorant control permits were issued in a period of relative statewide population stability. According to the most recent scientific estimate (2015), the state is home to 15,421 nesting pairs.

Destructive colonies
    Gary Nohrenberg, state director of the United States Department of Agriculture’s Wildlife Services — the agency often tasked with controlling cormorants — said he’s seen many other cases where colonies of the birds have destroyed trees and other wildlife habitat around lakes. He said Wildlife Services is hoping to resume its cormorant work by next spring in Minnesota and other Great Lakes states if the judge accepts the plan being submitted by the Fish and Wildlife Service.

The method for permitting would be changed to consider cormorant losses on a regional basis, not just site by site as in the past, Nohrenberg said.

Cooper said the only killing of cormorants in Minnesota aimed directly at protecting free-swimming fish has been at Leech Lake and Lake Vermilion.

Biologist Steve Mortensen, director of Fish, Wildlife and Plant Resources for the Leech Lake Band of Ojibwe, said state and tribal natural resource managers might have sought to kill more cormorants on Leech Lake last year and this year if the culling ban hadn’t been in effect. He looks forward to the return of permitting, even if the new application process requires more environmental assessment work.

“It would certainly give us more flexibility,” Mortensen said.

He admitted it’s not easy to tell if colonies of fish-eating cormorants make a given lake less productive for game fish — especially when a lake’s ecology is changing because of aquatic invasive species or other factors. Each bird eats about one pound of fish per day. Their preference is for slow-moving, schooling fish in the 1- to 4-inch range.

On Leech, the cormorants peaked in 2004 with a population of 10,000. Anglers and local tourism officials alleged an adverse effect on walleyes and forage fish, and state fisheries managers cited a possible link to the low rate of walleyes developing to catchable sizes.

In recent years, after a revival in Leech Lake walleye numbers, annual passes for shooting the birds have been required to sustain the management goal of 500 nesting birds. In some years, that has required killing as many as 1,700 adult cormorants.

Mortenson said the shooting continued this year under a rare type of permit that allows cormorants to be killed for scientific purposes. The 700 cormorants shot over Leech Lake and tribal lands this spring and summer were frozen and studied for diet details.

“Anything that tends to compete with us for food is a species of concern,” Mortenson said.

http://m.startribune.com/wildlife-ma...rts%2Foutdoors

Interesting the article mentions shooting buffalo for eating grass. Isn't that also a problem?!

https://www.yahoo.com/news/skilled-s...193123263.html
    Last edited by gooseaholic; 09-13-2017 at 07:01 AM.
    Vegetarian: Native American for Piss Poor Hunter

I report, you decide...

I will never lose hope...hazing commonazies on a balmy February late morning is a reoccurring dream. Praying for this to return to the hallowed grounds of Santee. I don't get emotional very often, but this topic cuts deep. Commies.

Im on it
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Tape View Post
    Im on it

Needs to reopen for everyone. Shutting folks out because the DNR didn't want the trouble or having classes, online or in person, was a copout.

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    Needs to reopen for everyone. Shutting folks out because the DNR didn't want the trouble or having classes, online or in person, was a copout.
    Should people be allowed if they failed to report last time?

The issue in my opinion is they only held a handful of classes.... For someone like me who works for a government entity, we cannot always get the time off to make it to the classes. I missed the two classes in my area because we were short staffed and on night shift and it was impossible to take the time off to attend. I haven't been able to participate due to not holding any other classes.

I don't care what they do about that crowd. I'm concerned about the folks that didn't attend the original classes and are shut out. You said that there would be online classes the next year and there wasn't.

If they can't give those a chance, then just keep it closed.

The way it was done the second year smelled

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I don't care what they do about that crowd. I'm concerned about the folks that didn't attend the original classes and are shut out. You said that there would be online classes the next year and there wasn't.

Its not a sport season , the original participants have done a good job. There is no need to add new people.

I can't count how many people I've heard say "man I want in on some of that, it sounds fun!" After hearing how many we killed. That's the ONLY reason people who didn't attend the first classes want to bitch now. If they were truly concerned with depredation efforts then they would've been at the first classes. Also those that failed to turn in their harvest reports are just slack and not very trustworthy IMO. The problem was being handled quite well without them.

they are thick as thieves again. They are flying overhead in town. Need to be eradicated.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Saw a dead one just now floating in a popular duck hole. Guess when the teal didnt show the boys got trigger happy
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

competition for commy spots... really???

“Muh butts been wiped.” TheBigGuy
    “Poor kids are just as bright and talented as white kids.” PedoPete, Esq.
    “Let’s go Brandon, I agree!” former Vice President Joe Biden
    “Shower time, Ashley.” NotAndyTaylor

please please please bring it back
    IF IT FLIES-IT DIES

Any update on this? DT?
    IF IT FLIES-IT DIES

I wish

The cormorants have just returned to the lake I live on this past Monday night. Tuesday morning there were rafts of 60-100 birds. They will die soon and I will be there to do it. I never got in the education class on the first year of public so therefore, like CD, have never participated in the public version. Killing them in a safe manner should be no different than hunting pythons in the Everglades, they are non-indigenous and have no positive value to the environment. MG
    Dum Spiro Spero

Quote Originally Posted by Maggie Glover View Post
    The cormorants have just returned to the lake I live on this past Monday night. Tuesday morning there were rafts of 60-100 birds. They will die soon and I will be there to do it. I never got in the education class on the first year of public so therefore, like CD, have never participated in the public version. Killing them in a safe manner should be no different than hunting pythons in the Everglades, they are non-indigenous and have no positive value to the environment. MG
    You have my phone number if you need an additional gun again this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Maggie Glover View Post

The thing is, they are indigenous.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.