Thread: What I used this turkey season

Boots: Rocky Snake boots. Had them since I started volunteering. (Volunteers supply their own equipment.) I will usually be wearing snake boots or waders. With deer season starting in August, snakes are nearly all of deer and most of turkey season. And during the past few duck season, 'gators have been out. I should have gotten the boots 1/2 size larger, but with thin, wicking socks, they work well! I have a lot of confidence in them and wear them more than any other hunting boot I've got.

Pants, shirt, hat, gloves: Mad Dog Gear Buzz Off. Worn them the last two seasons and I've stopped always bringing the Thermocell with me! (When I get that "feeling," I will bring it with me. But I never turned it on this turkey season.) The face mask is too hot for my tastes. The shirt is made of lighter weight material than the pants, which is both an advantage and disadvantage. I would like to see two offerings, one with shirt and pants of heavier material and one with shirt and pants of the lighter shirt material. And while I'm wishing, could the pants be made with tapered legs (maybe lycra from mid-calf down?) and stirrup at the bottom? This would help with tucking the pants in the snake boots. But please do not change the shirt pockets or the extra pocket on the pants cargo pockets! I was not sure of the shirt pockets when I first got the shirt, but it works great! And the extra pockets on the cargo pockets are perfect for carrying strikers.

Rain jacket and pants: Mad Dog Gear Growler. Always had it in truck with me. Worked great in rain and also on mornings when a little something was needed. It was colder in April than it was in January! One morning (29 degrees) I put on Mad Dog Gear pants and shirt (and I wore the Rocky Snake boots, because that was what I had with me!) Growler jacket and pants and Carhart insulated coveralls. I am very satisfied with all of the Mad Dog Gear.

B-Mobile ("BOB"): First time I used it, I lost the bottom half of the stake moving ahead of a gobbler. Contacted Primos and THEY STEPPED UP! By the next weekend, another stake was waiting for me at home! Excellent service! Bob went on each hunt with me. Need to figure out a better way of holding Bob onto stand and tail onto Bob. I've been very careful about holding onto the nut and wing nut. But I could easily drop them into the weeds and they would be gone. What about: Drill a hole slightly bigger than threaded portion in the metal clip part of a Bull Dog Clip (used for holding papers together). Insert Bob onto the stand. Open the Bull Dog Clip by pressing the ears back. With Bull Dog Clip open, slip threaded rod into drilled holes in clip. When tension on clip is released, the clip will stay as a result of tension between clip and threaded rod. Bob looks realistic and can be seen from a distance. Good profile. Another piece of gear I am pleased with.

Red Head Extreme feeding hen: In South Carolina, there is no incentive for a dealer to distribute turkey tags. With that said, when I got turkey tags, I make a purchase from the dealer. I got turkey tags for my son from Hooties Outdoors near Aiken, SC and purchased the feeding hen. Something to support the dealer. There was not a stand for the hen in the box. I called Hooties and left a message but since it has been four weeks, I just do not think I'll be hearing from them. I bought an extra stand from Wal-Mart and it has worked fine. This is the first feeding hen I've purchased. It is also made of rubber instead of foam. The wrinkles and creases never left this decoy and stayed away. I left it in the car and in the sun, and the wrinkles would leave, but would return the first time I folded it up for transport. This is the same technique I used for Bob and it worked great. The foam decoys I use are old and are well broken in. I like having the feeding hen, but don't have the same level of confidence as I do with the foam hens.

Binoculars: Steiner 8 X 30 Military/Marine. Bought a pair of 7 X 50 Marine in January. So pleased with them that I bought the 8 X 30. Something smaller to carry. They allowed me to not only see turkeys but to identify if there were shooter gobblers. WPNSTA rule: Beards must be at least 6". Good product at a desirable price point. Purchased from WPNSTA Navy Exchange but not a big seller. There are some Bushnells for about $30 that are sold more often. The clerk did not know of anyone but me who has bought the Steiners. There may be others, but she did not know of them.

Shotgun: Remington 870. Had it for over 20 years. There are others available, but I always use the 870. I used one other shotgun this year, my L.C. Smith 20ga double barrel on a quail hunt with my son. He and I were the only ones using 20ga. (He used Browning BPS in 20ga. And I think he used the 20ga because he knew I would have shells!) Every time I pull the trigger on the 870, I expect it to work and it always has. It has never failed me. It is a working man's shotgun. Truly dependable.

Calls: My two go-to calls are Hunter's Specialities slate and Primos Power Crystal. I started the season with a vest full of everything I could carry. But when I really thought about it, these are the two I would always go to. So, I trimmed way, way down. I carry two diaphragm calls usually Hunter's Specialities, the two pots, four strikers and a box call (Lightening). The Mad Dog Gear pants and shirt could carry all the calls.

In the fanny pack: SMALL FANNY PACK. Pruners. Bought them several years ago at True Value Hardware. Don't know brand but used them each time! Wipes. If you don't have them,....(Which is poison ivy and which is poison oak? Thank goodness for magnolia trees!) And Thermocell, if I had that "feeling."

Cushion: Ol' Tom Technical Turkey Gear "On the Go" Turkey Seat. One of the best items I bought this year! Very comfortable and what a great idea with the quick detachment clips! Great Idea! I would buy this one again!

Pack: Primos B-Mobile Pack and Cushion. The other best item I bought this year. It worked great! When I started using it, I was not tightening the arm straps enough which resulted in the chest strap being really tight (and close to my neck!). But, once I figured the arm straps out, the chest strap worked fine. Recommendation: Add "D"-ring where bottom of arm straps attach. That would give be a great place to hook the "On the Go" Turkey Seat!
    You gain exerience by what you do, you gain wisdom by what someone else did. (Hey Ya\'ll, watch this!)

A good feeding hen is the Buckwing decoy it is great and is made out of the same material as b-mobile. I am also very pleased with B-mobile.
    “… duckhunting stands alone as an outdoor discipline. It has a tang and spirit shared by no other sport—a philosophy compounded of sleet, the winnow of unseen wings, and the reeks of marsh mud and wet wool. No other sport has so many theories, legends, casehardened disciples and treasured memories.”
    --John Madson, The Mallard, 1960

"Never trust a duck hunter who cares more about his success than his dog's."