Thread: briggs and stratton outboard

I was thinking of putting one of those little 5hp b&S outboards on a small alluminum sneak boat for tooling around in sparkleberry. I was wondering if anyone has ever used one or seen one in operation. It seemed that it would be quiet, CHEAP, and easy to work on if it broke. Just thought i'd throw it out there and see what ya'll thought
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

I've got one and it runs great. I haven't put many hrs. on it yet, but have had no problems. The only thing I'm not 100% happy with is the noise. Don't get me wrong, it's not really loud--just louder than I thought it would be. If properly maintained, these motors should run forever. I wonder if you could vent the exhaust into the water somehow?

An exhaust flange, some flex stainless tubing and a few homemade brackets should do the trick. Might look a bit wild but it would be quieter.

hey quack, what size boat you have the motor on? Does it have fairly good power? ever been through the weeds or mud with it?
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

i had an old clinton 5hp it was loud as hell, light so you pull it up if ran into weeds or mud, had only forward on it i think B/S is using the same design from it. never could figure out out a way to make less nosiey though. that thing would scare big boats when they heard it coming. they ould actually be pulled over when i finally made it around a bend. and that was down around strawberry's and mepkin abbey where they use to fly through there the bass boats that is. but always got me bqck in may have been a few hours but then it dint bother me so much. heck i still have the ole thing.

P.H.-I have an Argo 8 wheel amphib. I use it on to fish small ponds, etc. I did hunt out of it this season a couple of times. The Argo with me and gear weighs around 800# i guess. It pushes it O.K. The Argo is squatty and doesn't have a "boat" profile so it's not a good example. I would think on a small jon-boat it would be great.