Thread: Homemade scissor blind question

I am going to construct a homemade blind out of EMT. I was thinking about going with the millitary camo netting on the outside, but want/need some sort of backing material, so that I can roll the material up without that crap hanging on everything. I thought about sailcloth, but I can't seem to find anything like it, and brulap (might hold too much water?). What are yuor suggestions as to what to use for a backer-windproof and water resistance are a definite plus-and where can I find it?

Kevlar...you can get it at NH (Northern Hydraulics) in tarps.
    If you don't know me how could I offend you?

If you are not a member of Delta or DU then you are living on duck welfare.

MC is offline Daydreamer Extraordinaire

[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I agree Kevlar has some benefits in quite a few public hunting situations.

Candor,
    Do you still have that blind that you said I could have last year?

I try to avoid those situations, MC, but if a rubbahaid sets up too close, we could just shoot and hide in the blind during their retaliation, LMAO. Actually, Candor, I searched the KEvlar tarps and couldn't find anything, but I did find several Canvas tarps, which should be what I'm after. I hadn't even thought about that. Thanks.

See if a fabric store has "flag nylon". I used brown nylon and my wife sewed channels along the top and bottom. Obviously you slide the blind rail through the top and then put a piece of 1/2" or 3/4" PVC in the bottom. It provides just enough weight to hold the screen down and gives you a nice long handle to wrap the blind up around the top rail when you're done.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

I used a canvas drop cloth. You can get them at any paint store or Home Depot. Cut it in 5' widths (comes in 16' x 20'). I took spray paint and coated it and then put camo netting over it. HOHproof and windproof and CHEAP.
    Jack of all trades, master of none

I believe Candor meant Cordura tarps...readily avalible at N H.

The paint tarp would probably be lighter than the cordura, if you use the paint tarp make sure it has a rubber backing on it.

Shoot me an email addy and I will get some pics to you.

BH
    The only man to ever get all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.

Hillbilly,
    I haven't got my SC Ducks addy back up and running yet, but should have it in a couple days. I am re-installing windows on a new-to-me desktop right now. I plan on using 1/2" EMT with a 1" section of PVC or plastic conduit over the middle to tie my material to, that way I can roll it up. The larger piece will be drilled for zip-ties to keep the material from spinning. I saw this on a friend's blind, worked well for keeping the material rolled up and on the gunwales out of the way.

If there is a chance that you'll ever put fastgrass/quackgrass on it the make it with 3/4 emt.
    Good to talk, see you out there!

I agree with BSD go with 3/4". I used shrimp net (commerical) to back my Quack Grass it's not windproof.

If it gets wet and you roll it up try to remember to roll it out to dry. If it gets moldy it doesn't last long.

Also Northern Hydralics or Habor Freight is a good place to get zip ties cheap.
    The only man to ever get all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.

Mudbuddy makes some good blind backing material, blocks wind pretty well! Alot better than the netting stuff.
    Good to talk, see you out there!

Kevlar...Cordura what's the difference [img]graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] just a bit of $

You are right HB...I did mean Cordura!!

OSD...I still have that blind but I have pirated parts off of it now. Let me take a look at it and let you know what kind of shape it was in. Hell...I thought it was like 1999 when I said you could have it [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    If you don't know me how could I offend you?

If you are not a member of Delta or DU then you are living on duck welfare.