Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Looking to buy a scope

Quote Originally Posted by FLS View Post
    Trijicon are good hunting scopes, but they need to update their reticles. if you are guarding food plots and corpiles shooting deer in the dark they are a great choice. When it comes to long range, they're not even in the game...
    At what distance does food plot guarding change to long-range?
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

I guess that would depend on the size of the food plot wouldn't it?

I'm pretty sure the OP's buying a scope for his GF, not a PRS application.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Yup, as I said, it's a good hunting scope.

Quote Originally Posted by FLS View Post
    I guess that would depend on the size of the food plot wouldn't it?
    I'll give you that, but, seriously, what is your opinion of the range at which the Trijicon maxes out its benefits and a "long-range scope" should take its place? I'm guessing it's in the 350-400 yd range, but I've never used a Trijicon so it's just that, a guesstimate.
    Last edited by WoodieSC; 06-10-2017 at 09:41 PM.
    ~ George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by WoodieSC View Post
    I'll give you that, but, seriously, what is your opinion of the range at which the Trijicon maxes out it's benefits and a "long-range scope" should take its place? I'm guessing it's in the 350-400 yd range, but I've never used a Trijicon so it's just that, a guesstimate.
    It's not a yardage thing as much as a reticle issue. I have used them out to a slightly beyond 1000m. We regularly and successfully used them to engage man size targets out past 600m with only a 4x acog. Great glass. Horrible illumination system and the reticles are dated. I'm not taking anything away from them because their glass quality is very high but I do strongly feel like their rifle scopes are over priced for what they are.
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    It's not a yardage thing as much as a reticle issue. I have used them out to a slightly beyond 1000m. We regularly and successfully used them to engage man size targets out past 600m with only a 4x acog. Great glass. Horrible illumination system and the reticles are dated. I'm not taking anything away from them because their glass quality is very high but I do strongly feel like their rifle scopes are over priced for what they are.
    What don't you like about the trijicon illumination system for low light shooting?

I love my leupolds but I ordered a trijicon last night solely for the purpose of being able to shoot later than a vx3 allows me. If I don't see much improvement over my leupolds once I do a side by side comparison of them, then I guess I'll go ahead and try a vx6 next.

I don't like it for non low light situations. Way to bright for me 90% of the time
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

Perfect example. The army has the largest contract on earth with trijicon but all our rifle scopes are leupolds and nightforce (at least in my units). Wonder why

I don't like it for non low light situations. Way to bright for me 90% of the time
    Gotcha. Didn't know if it overpowered the target too much at dusk dark.
    Last edited by Coastal Woodie; 06-10-2017 at 08:34 PM.

VX3 has killed more deer than all the trijicon together. If you trying to kill out 400 yds at dark. Save the bullet and the walk of shame. Keep it simple and kill more criters.

That's what the dial is for on the Fiber Optic loop, you can adjust the brightness to the point it's nonexistent.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    That's what the dial is for on the Fiber Optic loop, you can adjust the brightness to the point it's nonexistent.
    I guess that's too complicated for scope twisters- likely that Leopolds were purchased under the old contract and Nightforce under the new contract- if I could get the taxpayers to buy my scope it would be a Nightforce

Thanks for the reply. Makes sense, although I can't really say about the illumination system since I've never looked through one. I'm glad to hear their glass quality has improved as it used to be in the lower middle zone, if I recall correctly.

As for $ value, I think all scopes are over-priced, at least as far as deer and coyote hunting goes. If my life depended on it I would most likely have a different viewpoint on it.
    ~ George Washington

just to clarify- I am glad that our military forces are getting the best for the situation- I feel good about my tax money being spent on Nightforce, Leopold and Trijicon scopes for our combat troops- our govt wastes soooooooooooooooo much money- but this is a wise expenditure in my opinion.

I can't even comment on long range capabilities- or dialing for drop or hold off as I have never done so, and at my age I can't hold steady enough or see good enough to shoot like that- that is for younger eyes and steadier hands- but at 400 yds I can still put it in the kill zone and that is what I buy a scope for.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Habit View Post
    I guess that's too complicated for scope twisters- likely that Leopolds were purchased under the old contract and Nightforce under the new contract- if I could get the taxpayers to buy my scope it would be a Nightforce
    I have a NXS 5.5X22X50 MOAR-T w/ illumination. Scope is everything it's supposed to be, just awesome except the illumination, it sucks balls. You have to pull the battery, adjust the rheostat with a screwdriver then check it. Once you set it, if you want to change it you repeat the process. I have mine set very faint for late twilight. The SHV F1 is better as it is on an externally controlled rheostat but I wouldn't call it superior to the Trijicon by any sense for illumination or glass quality.

We have choices to fit everyone for a reason.

I remember shooting "B" targets at 500 yards with iron sights. I wish we had acogs and other reticles.

Oh snap you mean nightforce fucked up and designed their illumination for night vision and not for moondicks like u to shoot deer! Holy fuck someone call the pope

The reason the military uses Leupolds and Nightforce are they are damn near indestructible. The Mark 6 and Mark 8 Leupolds are very different scopesmthan the Mark 4 / VX3 scopes. The best of the MK 4 series was the 6-24 x50 with the M5 dials. That is a damn fine piece of glass and incorporated a lot of advances that came out in the VX6/ MK 6 Line.
    The Nightforce ATACR scopes are light years ahead of the NSX line. The 3 -15 F1' NSX and the 2.5-10 x 42 iNSX are two of the most useful scopes ever made, IMO.

I damn near drool when I hold a ATACR.

The primary interest I have in the Trijicon Accupoint is a simple robust bright deer and pig hunting scope for a light sporter rifle. No batteries. And I can get it I relatively cheap. I will rely on other optics for precision work and my ARs.
    Last edited by Swamp Rat; 06-11-2017 at 03:27 PM.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen