Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Family Boat

Quote Originally Posted by Sheep View Post
    I'm kinda looking too.

It seems that you won't get much with 2500....more like 10k for something 'decent'.
    You will spend more in repairs on a $2k boat than it's worth. Take your time and find a boat in decent shape with good maintenace records and wiring that is half way organized and done properly. Thank me later.

Quote Originally Posted by scmoose View Post
    Its fo real empty now

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    nope, not per the forum. text me your email to 843-439-3270

I can't see 10 for something that gets used a handful of times a year

Then I wouldn't buy a boat.

The worst thing for a boat is to sit. A couple uses a year will give you nothing but electrical problems, fuel issues, clogged carbs, etc. etc. you will spend more time being towed into the landing than you will actually using the damn thing.
    Last edited by marsh chicken; 06-02-2017 at 10:55 AM.

Yeah, just leave her on the bank....
    Please support March of Dimes

www.marchforbabies.org/MadelineRai

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    You need to look hard at a bass boat. Plenty of power to whiplash your kids on a kneeboard so that your wife can go back in the house to take care of em and you can drive to the nearest party cove or sandbar and do some cheatin
    The cheatin could be accomplished without the bass boat even leaving the trailer. Women have gotten knocked up just by walking past one.

I bought a 1995 garage kept stratos 19ft cc a few years ago for I think 5k . Family boat, inshore boat , catfish boat . When the 150evinrude does go...it will be replaced with a used yamaha . I was terrified of the inboard run abouts . Just not versatile . My oldest son has used the mess out of said boat . I did replace the coil pack and add a hummingbird 8 SI series .
    I used to drink like a fish and run like a dog
    Done a whole lotta shit not permitted by law
    People call me the Picasso of painting the town

The reason most strippers have glitter on their chest is because of daytime bassboat cheatin. Fact

If you're only going to use it a few times a year, then why not rent one when you need it? Gives you the quick pick up on a boat for the season and time to vet the decision to buy or even what to buy. Rent a pontoon one weekend and a ski boat the next.
    The right to bear arms is the last form of defense against tyranny.

I had a boat with twin mercruiser 470s with alpha 1 drives. used in salt but dry stored. I bought all the outdrive tools and OEM manual. learned a lot and suffered a lot. beware

Inboards are cheaper upfront but service and upkeep is where all your money goes. The 3.0 is an aluminum block 4 cyl that uses a Ford 460 cylinder head. They run good when new but if you ever run one hot you got some issues. If you are dead set on an inboard I would say only buy mercruiser. I prefer not to work on OMC cobra or older Volvos and other shops won't even touch them.

Gimbal bearings are a pain in the ass
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

For sure, and Boots and bellows, or hanging from your ankles changing a starter

My family has had two mercruiser inboards and neither one has caused any problems. Had them serviced every year and they only get used during the weekends in the summer.

Just buy the damn thing. You've refuted 2 or 3 points of input that you asked for to begin with. Never understand why people ask for opinions then counter point what they get. If you don't like it, donate it to goodwill and take a 5000 write off.
    \"We say grace and we say maam, if you ain\'t into that, we don\'t give a damn.\" HW Jr.

Don't overthink it. If it is in decent shape and fits your needs, it is worth $2500. Just know it is a twenty year old boat. You may be able to put a little bit of money in it here and there and get several more years out of it. Flip side is that it may have a major problem tomorrow. Same can be said for any boat motor though that is not under warranty...even newer ones. Don't ask me how I know.

Quote Originally Posted by DRDUCK View Post
    Gimbal bearings are a pain in the ass
    This is a fact.. Helped a guy change one and said I would never own a motor like this.
    "I'm just a victim of a circumstance"

I would look for a 4.3 v6 or v8 boat in the 19 ft or larger size. Boats get small fast when you start throwing kids, their friends, and maybe another couple on there. Especially including tubes, lunch bags, cooler, beach bag full of towels, etc... I got to where I deflate and store two tubes on boat. One is very large, and I inflate them with a 12v high pressure pump. They are chevy motors, parts can be found much cheaper online. Storage for the winter can be a little bit of a pain. Bloody knuckle or two depending on the boat getting to all the fittings to drain the water. Changing the oil yearly requires a pump to suction out the oil through the dip stick tube, 12v pump found at academy sports. I did pay someone to change the bellows on the out drive, that was a grand. I will probably do it myself next time. they typically last 5 years or more. Youtube has all the vids you will need. If you are a labluver just rent a boat. Dealing with the other family boaters at the landing is a complete pain in the ass. If your wife can park a truck with a trailer or back it, it is a big bonus. After hitting other trailers she wont even try to learn now. Told her it was not as easy as it looked.

Seeing the smiles on my daughter's face when having fun with her friends tubing is priceless.

Stingray and others have made outboard bow riders, they are just harder to find, especially in good shape.

If a man is alone in the woods, says something, and a woman does not hear, is he still wrong?

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. —George Carlin

Common sense is not a gift. It's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone else who doesn't have it.

If a man is alone in the woods, says something, and a woman does not hear, is he still wrong?

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. —George Carlin

Common sense is not a gift. It's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone else who doesn't have it.

May the FORCE be with you
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"