Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Top Ten BBQ Joints in the Carolinas

I would like to point out I am just talking about the quality of the BBQ itself. I think Shealy's has a great buffet and the pulley bones are delicious (be sure to request them), but they don't touch the BBQ you get at Hite's or Cannon's.

When I go to a BBQ house I go to eat BBQ, hash and rice. The hell with everything else.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

I've lived my whole life within 15 miles of Scotts and have eaten it since I was 5. It's good but I don't see what all the fuss is about and BBQ is my favorite food. The old kennys was pretty good and so is browns. That said the best around here is James Dukes in Bloominvale, (Millwood, Cedar Swamp area). But he only cooks for thanksgiving and Christmas pre orders.
    Their are also several individuals around here with sauces that suit my taste. And James cooks of gas and finishes on wood.
    But the real thing about BBQ is it is subjective. The best in the world to me might not be worth a darn to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by LabLuvR View Post
    Yep, that is the common tie with both. Gas cooked BBQ cannot in any way compare flavor wise with that cooked over wood. It simply can't be done.
    "Taste the meat, not the heat". Hank Hill
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    sweatmans needs to be on there.

has anyone had the brisket from Lewis' in charleston?

I had a friend bring my family some a month or two ago. It was devine. My wife and daughter went by there friday to bring me some for my birthday.

It might be the best damn brisket I have ever had. Spot on.
    When you come get your Polaris and Green Egg...I'll teach you how to cook a brisket.

I'm originally from eastern NC and see the list is a little skewed toward NC. The list doesn't even come close to what NC has to offer for good BBQ. My personal preference for NC BBQ is B's in Greenville NC. I can't catch on to the mustard based sauce around here but i won't crack on anyone's BBQ since it is so regional.

Little known fact, mustard sucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

There is no Sweatman's on the list so this whole article is bs. This is nothing but an article about NC BBQ (which is pure nasty shit).

If the author actually visited Batesburg they apparently didn't stop at Hite's because Shealy's can't touch it with a ten foot pole. Great restaurant, but the pork you get on a side sammich from Cookout is better than what they serve up.

Quote Originally Posted by SaltMuck View Post
    Little known fact, mustard sucks.
    I don't knock people from around here who don't like mustard, but if you talk to 100 people from North Carolina, 99 will say it sucks. You're not going to tell me two hours of geography creates that big of a gap in someone's palate. It's nothing more than Tarholes hating on South Carolina.

I go out of my way to eat at Sweatman's. I make very purposeful trips to Music Man's. I drive past 521 BBQ to go to Burger King.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Edisto hasn't been the same without a whopper.

If I've said it once I've said it a thousand times. Sauce is a garnish to cover the taste of bad barbque. Argue sauce all you want. All y'all are discussing is which brand of ketchup taste better on a steak.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    If I've said it once I've said it a thousand times. Sauce is a garnish to cover the taste of bad barbque. Argue sauce all you want. All y'all are discussing is which brand of ketchup taste better on a steak.
    I agree with this 100%. For most folks that I know, the meat is just a carrier for their choice of sauce. Real good BBQ requires good wood smoke. Gas is for cars.
    Crops are harvested, animals are killed.

Thats the damn truth...

I'd be hard pressed to come up with 10 BBQ places that I even like...in SC or NC. And I love BBQ. But, I did not grow up here.
    Crops are harvested, animals are killed.

You're talking about smoked meat. Barbeque is a sauce that goes on smoked meat and makes it BBQ...
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Sweatman's is off the list, McCabes in Manning, Sugar Hill in Manning, Scott's, Brown's , for chicken Cooper's, Big D's in Hemingway, Davol and Pedro cook some good Q. Mustard is the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberhead* View Post
    You're talking about smoked meat. Barbeque is a sauce that goes on smoked meat and makes it BBQ...
    I have a keep/kill list for when the apocalypse hits. I've scratched off and written your name on both sides many times. Ain't no trouble to move you over to the other side again, I reckon.

I have a keep/kill list for when the apocalypse hits. I've scratched off and written your name on both sides many times. Ain't no trouble to move you over to the other side again, I reckon.
    No sense in wasting ammo on the limp wristed types that love to slather sauce all over perfectly good bbq. They will be the first ones to die off as soon as applebees runs out of food.