Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Starting the Research

Quote Originally Posted by DRDUCK View Post
    I am sure REGULATOR will work with you on what you want and they make a HELL of a CC. Contender will make anything you want but you might have to wait on it. If I had the money I would call the NC company and talk to them. Just sayin. They build the hell outa a boat. Just ride in one VS what you got now and you will agree.
    Regulator doesn't make a tournament style hull anymore, they're all forward seating and I want the bow open. I do like the Southport 292TE layout. A buddy has a 26 and it's a helluva boat.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Look at an Ocean Master. Very dry, handles the ocean good for a CC and they will work with you to build what you want plus they are built like a brick shit house.
    cut\'em

I'm still shocked and slightly offended that you put Cape Horn and yellowfin in the same sentence
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

Sell me your pioneer
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    now Hogan can fuck off on here all day and call it work, thanks!

Look for a used 29 Freeman?

I haven't fished one but was highly impressed with the Onslow Bay on the trailer.

We fish 31 Contender and fish it a lot.

That being said, that 3year wait for 34/37 Freeman is the way to go for if you want a bigger better boat.

If you haven't ridden on one, you need to before you buy a boat over 30ft.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    I'm still shocked and slightly offended that you put Cape Horn and yellowfin in the same sentence
    CH is on there because it's offered with a layout I like, is 3pc and supposedly has a dry ride.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by scdiver View Post
    Look for a used 29 Freeman?

I haven't fished one but was highly impressed with the Onslow Bay on the trailer.

We fish 31 Contender and fish it a lot.

That being said, that 3year wait for 34/37 Freeman is the way to go for if you want a bigger better boat.

If you haven't ridden on one, you need to before you buy a boat over 30ft.
    Freeman makes a nice boat, but it's still a 30 foot center console. I have fished against a 34 freeman in a tournament. The seas were 3.5-4 feet and those guys were soaking wet and making 18-20 knots just like every other center console. They aren't this magical dry unicorn you ride 90 mph in when the seas are choppy and everyone has to slow it down.

If catamarans were even remotely the most seaworthy vessel design, our Navy would look much different...

Why is Contender not on list?

SeeVee & Yellowfin would be on top of my list if budget was not a concern

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2017...s#.WSGaSkb3bCQ

Donnie Caison builds a nice boat. I saw this boat a year ago when they were planking it. I'm biased....but I don't think you can find a nicer ride than a Carolina hull.

MC that boat would be bad with a single big CAT in it. A lot of trinkets on it to break though. Gyro would be nice for bottom fishing.
    cut\'em

Quote Originally Posted by Southernduck View Post
    MC that boat would be bad with a single big CAT in it. A lot of trinkets on it to break though. Gyro would be nice for bottom fishing.
    http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2011...s#.WSGekUb3bCQ

I hate the engine access...but winters builds a nice boat. His fit and finish are really nice.

Salty,

I am finishing up a 31 Rybo Runner restoration right now.

I have owned Contender and Intrepid as well not saying that I am an expert by any means whatsoever but having been through this same thing on several occasions and having owned a few of the upper tier large CC, I would opt somewhere in this group if money were no issue:

Go fast and open with very nice fit and finish. Wet at times, what isn't.

Invincible

Yellowfin ( not balsa cored , ask for corecell if your building) WTF are they thinking.

Sea Hunter

Jupiter

Contender

Venture

Intrepid

Regulator ( doesn't fit since forward seating, maybe used?)

Sea Vee

Bahama

Deep Impact

Big, Beastly and commercial style

Mirage (single diesel)

Ocean master (though Marks boats have come a long way in fit and finish)

Diesels have many pros but straight shaft will limit anytime in which you want to pull onto the beach with family etc and personally I don't care for a jack shafted diesel outdrive, shame on me.

If it were me and money wasn't an issue it would be 1. Bahama 2.Sea Hunter 3. Invincible 4. Yellowfin with Corecell 5 is a toss up between Contender/Sea Vee/DI ...etc..
    Last edited by Strick9; 05-21-2017 at 12:44 PM.
    Genesis 9;2

Onslow Bay
    I also like Jupiter and Cape Horn

They nailed it with the 31 cape horn. Have fished on many different 28-32' models in slick calm to shit I won't do anymore. Cape horn for me was my favorite.
    you aint did a dawg gon thang until ya STAND UP IN IT!- Theodis Ealey

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    The older I get, the more anal retentive I get.

Those old Ocean Master ads from Marlin and Sportfishing have me all nostalgic.

What the hell was Cape Horn thinking putting these hatches for the fish box and the rear access in the deck?

I have run or hitched a ride on almost all of the boats you have listed. The stepped hull boats have their place but you can count the number of days on one hand in a year that you really want their speed/economy(and honestly if you can roll you are going to go as quick as comfortable and not be too worried about fuel). The most impressive all around rig is the Southport hands down. They are not speed demons but the ride is cadillac and the extra beam is awesome for trolling and just in general. They are finished well and are great looking boats(from all perspectives). I fished a 36 YF then a 28 Southport the next day and the beam and set up of the Southport was far superior for trolling(coffin box swallowed 26 dolphin with plenty of room to spare and no actuator to break/maintain).
    George Carlin said it best, \'Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of them are stupider than that\'\'.

A couple more criteria that eliminates some of the mentioned boats. Trailer-able and a level deck.

Quote Originally Posted by Whackumstackum View Post
    What the hell was Cape Horn thinking putting these hatches for the fish box and the rear access in the deck?
    What year hull is that photo? They made some changes from what I've read but, I haven't seen one in person in years. Heck, the last ones I saw were for sale at Tailwalker about 10-12 years ago and they were real basic down to the splatter coat.