Thread: Bending square tube aluminum

I am in the process of designing and getting started on building a blind for my new boat. I was thinking of using square tube aluminum, but need someone that can bend (and maybe weld) the stuff in the Columbia area.

Anybody have any ideas?

I want to use square stuff for rigidity.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

I'd call Evans Steel out by the Airport and see which direction they point you in.

There is a guy on the road BEHIND Mid-Carolina Marine that does some shit-hot welding work (makes a lot of custom t-tops, grills, etc.

I can't recall his name, perhaps someone else on here will.

Rat-
    We weld aluminum every day and have a bender, but we're in Laurens.

I could get you some help if you don't mind the drive.

Square would be more rigid - depending on size, of course, but I had our guys make my main runners out of 7/8" round aluminum because the aluminum fittings are readily available and could be welded in. It's stout enough for hanging grass panels. I haven't worried one bit about it being rigid enough.

If this is something that you want to trailer while up, then you need something even more rigid than what I have.
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

Swamp Rat, give me a call
    More fuel = more boost!!

Swampy, we have always used Conduit for our blind material and just supported it with braces. It is strong enough that my 210lbs could stand on the weakest part of it with no sag or bending. Dont want to tell you that you are re-inventing the wheel but I am interested in how your blind turns out. Keep us posted.

Thanks!
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

This would be a simple blind that hinges front and back to pop up. Simple grassed blind. I have no idea even what the materials will cost...

SwampRat.

I have a blind that I think you are discribing. I used 1 inch square alum. tubing. I used C channel for the hinges with pins for quick release and removal.

for the 90 degree angles I did not have access to an alum. welder so I used "L brackets" like you see on old screen doors. I used 1 1/2" brackets on one side and 2" on the other so the screws would not bind up. I have never had an issue with the strength of the blind.

Total cost of material was less than $100. but that was a few years ago. I don't know what alum. runs now days.

Here are a few photos

A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

That's pretty much it, but I was thinking of slightly different (non-scissor) layout. Although I have not ruled out a scissor blind. The whole thing (including bases) would be removable by using riv-nuts in the seat/floor.

The guys name Sashimi and Swamp Rat is
    Steve Carter, Custom Welding and Fabrication. Dam good guy and does great work. Fix a prop like brand new and stand behind it.
    803-791-8899.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

I dropped off some tree stand blades @ Wolfe Mech. in Lugoff Hwy. 601 and they did a good job welding aluminum.
    #SPURSUP