Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cool find

Another resource that could tell you very quickly would be the older gentleman that runs the Military Museum over by the aquarium in Charleston. You'll have to cut through a lot of BS but I bet he could tell you exactly where, when, and what units my have worn those buttons.

http://www.shilohrelics.com/cgi-bin/...tem.asp?114872B94B0B7F6689403897C33525E0654FD1DSC05449.jpgE638FD790D8D4F649D03F9B2296AACB1DSC05450.jpg

This is a great looking non-excavated state seal uniform coat button for the state of South Carolina. It has the palmetto tree on the face of the button with the motto around the side. The motto reads "Animis Opibusque Parati” which translates as "Prepared in mind and Resources.” The original back and shank are present on the reverse. It has the maker’s mark on the back in the depressed channel from the firm of Schuyler Hartley & Graham of New York. This is the button that is listed as figure SC248a5 in Tice’s button book and SC13 in Albert’s button book. This is a little tougher to find backmark on this pattern of button. One thing that is special about this button is that it is one of the gold washed ones and it still retains some of the original gold on the button’s face. This one is in very fine non-excavated shape and will be a fine addition to your collection.

Shipping Weight: 0.3 lb
    $225.00 USD
    Last edited by dixiedeerslaya; 05-16-2017 at 08:37 AM.

What is the phrase Prepared in mind an Resources in context too?
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot

That's pretty cool find DT!

29c74faeb4481ac12913d117ef86184c.png

Where your new development is is a historic crossroad between modern day Twin Church Rd and Old Ebenzer Rd. Surprisingly many of the old raods are still intact and being used except the the northern part of Twin Church Road that would bisect your land. No doubt troops used those roads and more importantly bridges to travel. The Ebenezer/Savannah Grove Road was the major, if not the only direct Georgetown to Darlington to Cheraw Road. I spent hours in the Boston Public library studying these maps from the 1820 census. Cool button, I want to see it up close. I have annotated a map from 1820 to show these relations. MG
    Florence 1820 Census Map-with annotations.jpg
    Last edited by Maggie Glover; 05-16-2017 at 10:24 AM.
    Dum Spiro Spero

Quote Originally Posted by Maggie Glover View Post
    Where your new development is is a historic crossroad between modern day Twin Church Rd and Old Ebenzer Rd. Surprisingly many of the old raods are still intact and being used except the the northern part of Twin Church Road that would bisect your land. No doubt troops used those roads and more importantly bridges to travel. The Ebenezer/Savannah Grove Road was the major, if not the only direct Georgetown to Darlington to Cheraw Road. I spent hours in the Boston Public library studying these maps from the 1820 census. If you concentrate the search at that bridge crossing of Middle Swamp I'll bet you will have many more finds. Cool button, I want to see it up close. I have annotated a map from 1820 to show these relations. MG
    I wonder how much there gas tax was for using those roads were back then.

Quote Originally Posted by reeltight View Post
    The question you should be asking is, how much taxpayers money it cost for him to go treasure hunting.

I am sure that those mules and horses had plenty of gas, but I cannot confirm if it was taxed or not. MG
    Dum Spiro Spero

Just ruined my whole day. Vote um out. Taxed to death.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Quote Originally Posted by Maggie Glover View Post
    I am sure that those mules and horses had plenty of gas, but I cannot confirm if it was taxed or not. MG
    Oh, you can bet your Ass they would now.

Quote Originally Posted by Timsmith View Post
    The question you should be asking is, how much taxpayers money it cost for him to go treasure hunting.
    This here!

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/