Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So how much overreach is allowed?

Default So how much overreach is allowed?

I got the following email earlier today and while the actions of the students aren't good in today's culture, how can the school keep the students from returning this school year? The act didn't happen on school grounds, it didn't happen during school hours, no laws were broken that I'm aware of. How is this "punishment" by the school enforceable?

Here's the email
    Dear Lexington District One Families and Staff:

A few minutes ago, the following message was sent to White Knoll High School families from the school’s principal, Ted Daughtrey. We wanted to share with families throughout the district because this incident impacts us all.

Kathryn McPhail
    Chief Communications Officer

Dear White Knoll High School families:

A video, created by four White Knoll High School students and shared on TikTok over the weekend, was brought to our attention. In the video, the students reenacted the murder of George Floyd. We began investigating immediately.

Though the video was created off campus at a private home and shared outside of school hours, the unacceptable and disturbing actions of these students negatively impact their school and all of our students.

“We strongly condemn the actions of these students,” said Dr. Greg Little, Superintendent. “Racism, in any form, will not be tolerated by our students or staff and will be addressed immediately.”

The four students will not be allowed to return to school, nor participate in any athletic or extracurricular activities, for the remainder of the 2021–2022 school year.

We understand watching and processing this video will be emotional for some students, staff members and families. Our school counselors are here to offer support.

In partnership with Lexington County Community Mental Health Center, we also arranged for additional support for our students, staff and families.

For adults wanting to talk to someone regarding this incident, please call 803-996-1500, press “0” and ask to speak to a crisis counselor.

For students wanting to talk to someone regarding this incident, please call 803-359-7206, press “0” and ask to speak to a crisis counselor.

Let a school counselor know if you need any onsite assistance.

Over the last few years, White Knoll High’s staff and students have worked collectively toward bringing people together. This incident highlights that we still have work to do. We reaffirm our commitment to ensuring all of our students and staff respect and learn from each other.

Lexington County School District One stands committed to its mission to “Empower Each Child to Design the Future.” To do this, children must know they are valued. Racism breaks down a person’s value and therefore, racism has no place in our schools, community or hearts.

Ted Daughtrey
    WKHS Principal
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

We should all call in to the crisis counselors.

My kids are in private school and their honor code I believe extends to their “character” both on/off campus. Public school does not have that authority to be judge and jury of who can and cannot come to school for behaviors offsite. This is a road I can’t imagine they would want to go down.

I imagine there is a code of conduct that encompasses off campus activity.
    Carolina Counsel

I had the same conversation with my wife during supper when I read the email. While their actions is not a good look I don't see how they can keep them from school. However, I do see how they could keep them from playing school sports. 1st thing my son's baseball coach told them is that their actions off the field is a direct representation of the affiliation of the school name on their jersey's. Zero tolerance and I agree 100%.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghetto View Post
    A larger caliber will help you with your deer kills. Try it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    I agree with timber22

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina Counsel View Post
    I imagine there is a code of conduct that encompasses off campus activity.
    For public school ?!?

Hell there wouldn’t be any kids left in school if bad behavior off campus was punished with expulsion

Doing something in poor taste and breaking the law are two completely different animals!
    Last edited by bitesize; 11-03-2021 at 07:48 PM.

I'd find a POS lawyer and sue them.

42 pages … how about the Cliff Notes? You must be a lawyer
    “The price of freedom is eternal vigilance” - Thomas Jefferson

I’d bet this is an issue because it was on camera/recorded. The school probably doesn’t want to deal with this at all.
    Last edited by SouthernWake; 11-03-2021 at 08:04 PM.

Punishment of off-campus behavior violates 1st amendment rights and has been upheld by Supreme Court- is that the cliff note version of the link above??

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Pride View Post
    42 pages … how about the Cliff Notes? You must be a lawyer
    I wish

Pussification
    If it aint got 8 toes & a green head,it aint a duck.

Quote Originally Posted by bitesize View Post
    Punishment of off-campus behavior violates 1st amendment rights and has been upheld by Supreme Court- is that the cliff note version of the link above??
    In some instances, yes, but the Court didn’t establish a bright-line rule. Here’s a shorter article summarizing the opinion: https://www.jdsupra.com/legalnews/su...ampus-7007692/

Pure speculation without seeing the video but I’m guessing the kids will either be back in school, or rich!

Is this the same district that was discussing paying kids to get vaccinated?
    Last edited by bitesize; 11-03-2021 at 08:35 PM.

While at baseball tonight, a teacher at the same school was complaining that their are fights weekly and many students receive criminal charges and come back several days later after a suspension. She expressed concern on the decision to ban the students from all activities and school while violent attackers come back after several days.

Now we're cancelling school kids

In my opinion, what happens off school grounds is not school business.
    Where are the kids constitutional rights? Who decides what is acceptable and what is unacceptable?
    What law was broken?
    What they did was wrong but should be dealt with at home, no one else's business
    Last edited by ecu1984; 11-03-2021 at 08:46 PM.

I have mixed emotions. I agree on poor taste and no laws broken, however expulsion was the answer?

edaughtrey@lexington1.net

Principles email…
    More fuel = more boost!!

It’s sad that a principal of a school published the first sentence of that letter with all those commas.