Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Lake Murray boat accident

Quote Originally Posted by MRoss View Post
    I am looking for led strips to put on our 21 foot deck boat for added visability.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    I believe that you can be ticketed for those, especially while under way. I have seen boats ticketed for running with their docking lights on. I asked a a warden and was told that it interferes with navigational lights. Much like was discussed with the dock lights and Shoreline lights, having a non-navigational light shining in your boat can affect depth perception and night vision of other boaters . I would check the regs and maybe talk to a warden if you have access.

When I run at night I put a towel over my instrument panel so it doesn't affect my night vision.
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

You can run red led strips and green ones on coordinating sides for Nav lights without being ticketed.
    Quote Originally Posted by BOG View Post
    Tip:
    Although it is natural for you and seems to be out of your hands, try to suppress your natural inclination towards dumbassedness and do some research of your own.I wish you luck.
    Tekton Game Calls
    http://tektongamecalls.com

E. Taylor, why interfere with Darwin?

Not that this contributed to the accident on Murray but I'd love for someone to go along the shoreline at night and shoot out every port / starboard light that is mounted on the the end of peoples docks, walkways and gates in their yard for decoration. My depth perception is horrible in the dark and shoreline lights really mess me up. I keep a portable LED spot light at the ready for any body of water I am running at night.

It's a horrible tragedy to lose those fellows. Scary thing, it could happen to any one of us at any time if we let our guard down.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

i played soccer w danny and another guy on my team had a family member die in this crash. this shit hits close to home, sometimes....
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

distinguishing stern lights from background lights has always been a problem- if you keep pushing for regulation you WILL GET IT- NO WAKE SPEED ALL NIGHT. Keep a watch out for other boats and the watch needs to have a hand held spotlight to shine the other boat and get their attention if necessary.

running out of Charleston harbor a few years ago we were almost run over from behind by a big sporty , I was driving a Contender 35 express at 25 knots and had to go to full throttle to avoid the accident, we had running lights on, spreader lights on in the cockpit and 2 guys with handheld spotlights trying to get their attention, we had boats ahead of us that were almost run over also. You can't legislate against dumbass.

They should make it illegal to drink and drive too, oh wait...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

when you're sober as a judge and get run over....oh wait...

Quote Originally Posted by Jozie & Me View Post
    I believe that you can be ticketed for those, especially while under way. I have seen boats ticketed for running with their docking lights on. I asked a a warden and was told that it interferes with navigational lights. Much like was discussed with the dock lights and Shoreline lights, having a non-navigational light shining in your boat can affect depth perception and night vision of other boaters . I would check the regs and maybe talk to a warden if you have access.

When I run at night I put a towel over my instrument panel so it doesn't affect my night vision.
    I don't think that is true. I dont know what a "docking light" is. Coast Guard lighting requirements are for ***MINIMUM*** lighting. No laws against having extra lights that I know of.

While y'all bitch and moan about stupid people and regulations, I'd like to remember one of the boys that was killed this weekend.

T-R-A-D knew him as a friend, I'm sure.

Danny Phillips was a fine feller and ran a fine business. He was one of our most ardent and consistent supporters of Blythewood Ducks Unlimited. He will, most certainly, be missed by the family he leaves behind and the friends he kept.

Godspeed Danny.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

Quote Originally Posted by jasonw View Post
    I don't think that is true. I dont know what a "docking light" is. Coast Guard lighting requirements are for ***MINIMUM*** lighting. No laws against having extra lights that I know of.
    It is illegal to use "docking lights" or "running lights" or whatever you want to call any other forward looking light.

You can use your red and green, and your anchor light.

Those are the only legal, allowable navigation lights.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by USMCsilver View Post
    It is illegal to use "docking lights" or "running lights" or whatever you want to call any other forward looking light.

Bingo

Everybody feels the need to run 50mph everywhere and anywhere, and folks are distracted as ever, that's how people get killed. If people would just slow down and pay attention accidents wouldn't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by turbo View Post
    While y'all bitch and moan about stupid people and regulations, I'd like to remember one of the boys that was killed this weekend.

T-R-A-D knew him as a friend, I'm sure.

Danny Phillips was a fine feller and ran a fine business. He was one of our most ardent and consistent supporters of Blythewood Ducks Unlimited. He will, most certainly, be missed by the family he leaves behind and the friends he kept.

Godspeed Danny.
    I would like to second this. Danny and I have hunted the same piece of property for the last several years, and he was a great guy. Friendly, always ready to lend a hand and help people out. Smart, fun, and always willing to share his knowledge and ability with others. My prayers go out to his family and loved ones, and also to the family Shawn Lanier as well.
    Last edited by JJ1965; 04-24-2017 at 08:23 AM.
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    You're also one of select few clemings with sense.

Godspeed Danny and Shawn.

Quote Originally Posted by USMCsilver View Post

You mean like a spot light on a duck boat?

Google: rule 6 nav rules

Already rules/regulations in place for everything that is wrong with Murray.
    Quote Originally Posted by trentsmith View Post
    Honestly I don't remember why I don't like you but I do remember that I don't like you.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonw View Post
    You mean like a spot light on a duck boat?
    If I recall correctly, you are not supposed to be underway while using a spotlight.

However, don't quote me on that.

I have always enjoyed night fishing on Lake Marion. The stumps are a challenge.

The more populated a lake is the more lights. They interfere with navigation. Depth perception with lighting has always been difficult even on the high seas with no other competing lights. I never travel over plane off speed and always use a q-beam. The light bar is effective but I am courteous with the use. Strobe lights would be an improvement.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Tape View Post
    I have always enjoyed night fishing on Lake Marion. The stumps are a challenge.

The more populated a lake is the more lights. They interfere with navigation. Depth perception with lighting has always been difficult even on the high seas with no other competing lights. I never travel over plane off speed and always use a q-beam. The light bar is effective but I am courteous with the use. Strobe lights would be an improvement.
    Hopefully our lawmakers have learned from our confederate flag issue. Never make legislative decisions in the heat of emotion. This was a terrible tragedy, but shit happens. Just think of how many boats use lake Murray and how many accidents and fatalities we have. The stats are REALLY low. Our lawmakers should wait at least 3 months after an incident to decide what course to take, if any.