Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Dove field Protection

can you not augment the solar power with an auxiliary battery you just take up to the house and charge periodically? I dont know electricity but can't you piggyback them?
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

I dunno. Thought about trying a solar panel, 12 volt battery with an inverter to run a plug in charger.

I think the biggest problem with the solar chargers is lack of output - literally fractional compared to the others. I think it may be cheaper and easier to run wire from the shop out to the field. Just have to trench it or Make some "power lines" to keep from mowing it.

Over thinking it but they LOVE SUNFLOWERS. Browntop baby with wheat planted in Jan. to keep um mixed in with some corn and such. We did it for years and had the hottest dove fields in the upstate. Deer will hurt you
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

6' goat wire fence with strands of barbed wire 1' apart above that. 3' out from fence run 1.5" ribbon. Haven't had a problem yet.
    For the ducks

Ours is like the one pictured, kind of. We do have power run, keep the ground clean under it also.. I ran a weed eater around it once, kept it sprayed after that. The time I acted dumb and got hit by it I thought it might have been someone with a baseball bat taking a swing at me. It didn't tickle. We try to run it most of the year so they don't grow comfortable around it. It's been about five years and our crops are still standing each year.

Do none of y'all just run one wire? All we run is a wire 10" off the ground, they never step foot in there. Just the weeds off of it. Deer dont step over it, they walk into it. Sunflowers won't get touched.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

I ran a single strand of 80lb mono around a planted portion of sunflowers, thirteen acres. I didn't enjoy it. Someone was told me about it throwing them off, I tied rags with stinky stuff onto it also. It didn't work, that's the only single strand we used. We've tried the recycled Sumter poop also. Nothing worked until this fence was built. We had full fields for a decade until the deer found out how much they liked sunflowers.
    Last edited by Highstrung; 04-19-2017 at 09:48 AM.

Outside strand needs to be a wire not a tape on this setup. We have major deer pressure but changed mine up last year and it shut them down. The outside wire needs to be as invisible as possible. I use tape on top and wire on bottom of inside and it has worked like a charm.

I have to make a long 500 ft electrical run on a second field I planted this year. Going to try the ac romex, solar has been hit and miss with us. Good info in this thread thanks...
    \"I feel sorry for people who don\'t drink. When they wake up in the morning, that\'s as good as they\'re going to feel all day.\" - Frank Sinatra

Peanut butter every five yards on my outside strand of tape works for me.

Any of you fellas ever tried using a radio? I had a guy the other day told me they work pretty good, you just have to change batteries fairly often.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Yep, sure do Paul. It works too. Got it on as I type at the wellhouse to protect my garden
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Quote Originally Posted by DRDUCK View Post
    Over thinking it but they LOVE SUNFLOWERS. Browntop baby with wheat planted in Jan. to keep um mixed in with some corn and such. We did it for years and had the hottest dove fields in the upstate. Deer will hurt you
    if you hunt the private DNR fields like I do you wont have to worry about it
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

love those private DNR fields!

“Muh butts been wiped.” TheBigGuy
    “Poor kids are just as bright and talented as white kids.” PedoPete, Esq.
    “Let’s go Brandon, I agree!” former Vice President Joe Biden
    “Shower time, Ashley.” NotAndyTaylor

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I ran a single strand of 80lb mono around a planted portion of sunflowers, thirteen acres. I didn't enjoy it. Someone was told me about it throwing them off, I tied rags with stinky stuff onto it also. It didn't work, that's the only single strand we used. We've tried the recycled Sumter poop also. Nothing worked until this fence was built. We had full fields for a decade until the deer found out how much they liked sunflowers.
    I meant a hot wire.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

Got the Benne in yesterday. A little moisture in the old sand hill, and time to plant.

20170425_124336.jpg

20170425_123707.jpg

Garden fence, same as the dove field's, just smaller. No deer have ventured in now in several years.

I ordered this a few days ago. It might be a piece of shit but figured I would try it for $28

http://www.zarebasystems.com/fi-shoc...rger-edc25m-fs
    Last edited by duckchoppin; 04-25-2017 at 08:59 PM.

Did you plant me any okra Ralph?
    Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post
    Monsters... Be damned if I'd ever be taken alive by the likes of faggot musslims.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I am an equal opportunity hater.

Not yet

Pretty good article about deer fences and how they work.

http://www.electric-deer-fence.com/d...mation/pg3.htm
    Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    I dont know how it was done. For all I know that weird bastard that determined it's gender licked it.