Thread: Blind Advice

I just got an old jon boat to take back to school with me for Duck Season in Tennessee. It has connections from where an old blind used to be, but i dont want to buy a new expensive blind at this point. I want to make my own, and was wondering if anyone had any of there own designs or models that they liked and would be will to share. Boat is 14 ft with a 15 horse motor. Perfect for the area i will be hunting

Rip some 14' 2x4s and build a structure that leans to the inboard of your boat. Use 2x4s as cross memebers and stiff knees to brace up the frame. Cover the frame in heavy plastic, then burlap, then chicken wire and finally plant materials that are indigenous to the area that you hunt. There are many complicated blind designs out there and I have tried many of them. But I have had more fun and shot more ducks out of a simple wooden blind just like the one I have described here.

Here's an easy and cheap, 2 sided, pop up style blind I made years back to fit a 1436 Duracraft and still use on my 1542 WarEagle:

NEEDED:

- Drill with metal bits
    - Rivet gun with small rivets
    - Spray paint
    - Metal Conduit
    - Wire ties
    - Camo netting/burlap
    - Wire or similar (see below)
    - Hacksaw w/ metal cutting blade

1) General: blind is made with 1" metal conduit poles using small "U" clamps riveted to the boat seats or gunnels as the supports/mounts.
    2) Get the conduit in 10' pieces or similar length
    3) Bend pipes (did it by hand) to fit with appropriate curves/angles, cut the tops to length as needed, and paint poles green or dark color. Youll have 4-5 poles per side. I bent mine twice, forming a bow shape to countour the sides of the boat, then extend straight for 1 1/2' up and finally curve the conduit back inward towards the middle of the boat.
    4) Set the poles out on either side of the boat and determine the proper place to mount each one. Each boat is different - I have my mounts on the sides of the seats. Take the "U" clamps and rivet them to the boat. You'll have 2 clamps per pole - one at the bottom and one higher up. If you can visualize, these hold each pole in place down the length of the boat.
    5) Then connect the poles at the top with wire or similar for each side. TIP: hammer the poles flat at the top so you can drill holes for the wire to run through. This step can be done various ways.
    6) Then get some good, quality burlap or Swedish camo - attach to the poles and line. You need a "smooth" material that can be rolled up easily -if you use the fluffy, textured material as your base it will get snagged and will be aggravating to use. Wire ties would be a great way to fasten the camo.
    7) Pop it in place, bungee cord the front and back of each side to get it tight. Toss some add'l camo on top to cover the blind - I keep this in a spare bag for travel. It will roll up easily when not hunting.

Lightweight, easy, and takes up very little room when in in transit. Good luck!

P M me a email addy and I,ll send you some pics.
    The only man to ever get all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.

What I use ie 1/2 in. metal conduit, dog wire, burlap, and then fronds(like FW said, depending on surrounding vegitation). It's light, and inexpensive. You will have to drill into the rail and ribs of your boat, it kinda sucks, but it won't rattle and it's very sturdy. Hope that doesn't bother you. Good Luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by dfasano View Post
    Don't speak for all of us.....stupid son a of a bitch (Dabo Swinney) needs to be spending his free time learning to coach instead of coming up with gay ass sayings.

I built one based on these plans

Blind Plans

but I used 1 inch square tubing instead of conduit, and I used Aluminum C channel for hinges. I also used L Braces like the ones on screen doors for corner braces. Be sure not to use the same size on both sides of the tubing or your screws will hit.

Anyway here is what it looks like. The whole thing cost around $100.

Good luck
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

here is one that I started tonight, very easy, and I got less than 60 bucks in it so far...

Please change the limit to three ducks. Thank you, jeff

I like the scissors blind...

Both look nice, simple, and effective.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Muzzy,got a question for you if you don't mind.Are the black brackets mounting your blind to the boat commercial blind brackets,or something else?If those fine looking young men are your boys i know your hands are full!My two boys would tear up a rock if i let them hold it long enough.
    \"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold of the hearts of men.\" - MAURICE THOMPSON, The Witchery of Archery. 1878

Those brackets can be had at any west marine or boaters world or out of basspro or cabelas, they are pieces of bimini top hardware and they make em to fit 3/4 tubing as well as 1/2" or 7/8" (used the 3/4 ends and brackets and 3/4 electrical conduit, luckily I am only 27 and those two are not mine they belong to the neighbors across the street, good kids , got a sorry ass daddy that won't have much to do with em, so I let em tag along with me a good bit, keeps them out of any trouble ands gives them something to do...

Muzzy I would have went all the way to the front. I know it wouldn't have covered as well... but the dog could sit there or you could have put your gear up there out the way.

Just my .02 cents....... Not being a smart ass for once
    More fuel = more boost!!

Muzzy,Thanks for the info.Keep up the good work with the boys,we have a few that hang out with us that have dads that just make you shake your head.
    \"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold of the hearts of men.\" - MAURICE THOMPSON, The Witchery of Archery. 1878

got the frame done, yeah Krt I thought about it, but I think it will work out like in these new pics, or I am gonna lay a fast grass mat over the front deck and let the dog sit up there???

Lookin good [img]graemlins/thumb2.gif[/img]
    More fuel = more boost!!

Here is a pic of my duck boat blind.

Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

looks good man, what kind of material is that?

The back of the material is the same stuff they use to make sunbrealls and it the camo is burlap that is sewn to it. To keep it from rotting I just remove four bolts and remove the blind from the boat until it is time to use it.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

My blind finished and in action on Sat. mornin for some geese , we managed to scratch down three, the birds were less than cooperative

Thanks for the advice fellas...I definatley like the scissor style....only a few more months!!!