Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Another Perspective on Season Date Changes

3 birds, no more than 1 bird per day and lower season back to the month of April. Game zone 2. Do what ever data says for the other areas. Increase out of state tags to be no less than $100. The migrant hunters of the nuclear industry has put a lot of stress on game zone 2. Speaking deer and turkey.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ1012 View Post
    Do you feel that if we adopted Mississippi's law on jakes it would help any?
    There have been times in the past when the percentage of jakes in the harvest may have been a serious concern, but it's not high on my list now. The effect is complicated.

People in SC need to get past the idea of "equality" surrounding game management....ie, spottail limits, turkey season dates, etc.
    The spottail limit was changed b/c the upstate wanted to keep more fish when they visit the LC and the general mentality is we want what the Lowcountry gets!
    My point is (it's been made before) game should be managed "regionally" based upon biology, not emotions as it often is today.
    Not only is the LC generally more game rich, the biology is clearly different as well which is why we have "game zones."
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Quote Originally Posted by Calibogue View Post
    People in SC need to get past the idea of "equality" surrounding game management....ie, spottail limits, turkey season dates, etc.
    The spottail limit was changed b/c the upstate wanted to keep more fish when they visit the LC and the general mentality is we want what the Lowcountry gets!
    My point is (it's been made before) game should be managed "regionally" based upon biology, not emotions as it often is today.
    Not only is the LC generally more game rich, the biology is clearly different as well which is why we have "game zones."
    ^^THIS^^
    Warning: The Surgeon General has determined that turkey hunting is an addictive activity that will disrupt normal sleep patterns!

Exactly!!!!!
    Natural Born Killer Prostaff - Killing Tomorrow's Trophies Today...

TFC -"Be tough or get tough"

Conservation Permit Holder #5213

However, I wouldn't mind a 1 month, 5 bird limit, $20 a tag..

The 1 bird a day is kind of hairy, because accidents happen, but I can see why would need it..

Maybe a "no male turkey decoys" on Govt property, if safety is the issue..

Take $20 a tag and pump it into habitat mgmt on Govt..

Quote Originally Posted by thunderchicken View Post
    Run season statewide from 4/1-5/1

While we are at it, let's get rid of male decoys and TSS and force people how to learn how to hunt turkeys again.
    Yes, the last satement was sarcastic. I'm totally against restricting the way and individual hunts. Heck, it would suit me to make turkey hunting bow hunting only but again that's just my opinion.

Easy now, you are gonna offend some club members.

Quote Originally Posted by Smilee View Post
    3 birds, no more than 1 bird per day and lower season back to the month of April. Game zone 2. Do what ever data says for the other areas. Increase out of state tags to be no less than $100. The migrant hunters of the nuclear industry has put a lot of stress on game zone 2. Speaking deer and turkey.
    Damn right! The influx in nuclear workers is astounding. I would like to see the oos tags increased to $200 or more and residents tags $5-10 each for public lands management.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

I will never understand the desire men have to want to be charged more money for anything by the govt.

Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    Ban male turkey decoys. Close thread
    This x1000000000000

Quote Originally Posted by LabLuvR View Post
    Damn right! The influx in nuclear workers is astounding. I would like to see the oos tags increased to $200 or more and residents tags $5-10 each for public lands management.
    You would have a hard time killing a turkey with a GPS Collar and a Cruise Missile..

Quote Originally Posted by PBiz View Post
    However, I wouldn't mind a 1 month, 5 bird limit, $20 a tag..

The 1 bird a day is kind of hairy, because accidents happen, but I can see why would need it..

Maybe a "no male turkey decoys" on Govt property, if safety is the issue..

Take $20 a tag and pump it into habitat mgmt on Govt..
    I 100% agree with this.
    "George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, he shot them."

Tags should be $500 each for residents and 1500 for non. Weed out the pheasants!
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

Whith the limit set at 2 per day, What happens if you kill a turkey in the morning, go back and accidentally kill 2 with one shot? Should we make the limit 3 per day? I've never accidentally killed a second turkey. But I have lined them up and I have waited for them to separate
    Windows Down!

Quote Originally Posted by raybird View Post
    Whith the limit set at 2 per day, What happens if you kill a turkey in the morning, go back and accidentally kill 2 with one shot? Should we make the limit 3 per day? I've never accidentally killed a second turkey. But I have lined them up and I have waited for them to separate
    should we make game limit policies based on the what ifs for accidents? How about hunter accountability?

What if you accidentally shoot a hen because she is in the way? Should we make it legal to shoot 1 hen so you accommodate that scenario as well?

The limit is 2 per day. So if you have 2 birds lined up and you have already killed one that day (in your example) you wait for an ethical shot to only shoot one, even if it means letting them walk. I mean that's how it should be done if you were following the letter of the law.

Accidents are avoidable, that's why they are accidents. If you shot another turkey and didn't see it or something, own it and do the ethical thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    Tags should be $500 each for residents and 1500 for non. Weed out the pheasants!
    Damm man... focus. We will get to the pheasants soon enuff.
    "George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, he shot them."

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    I will never understand the desire men have to want to be charged more money for anything by the govt.
    That is until a farmer gets water in his field, of course.
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

Quote Originally Posted by LowcountryBuck View Post
    should we make game limit policies based on the what ifs for accidents? How about hunter accountability?

What if you accidentally shoot a hen because she is in the way? Should we make it legal to shoot 1 hen so you accommodate that scenario as well?

The limit is 2 per day. So if you have 2 birds lined up and you have already killed one that day (in your example) you wait for an ethical shot to only shoot one, even if it means letting them walk. I mean that's how it should be done if you were following the letter of the law.

Accidents are avoidable, that's why they are accidents. If you shot another turkey and didn't see it or something, own it and do the ethical thing.
    So if you shot a hen by mistake your going to call the game warden and report it??

BINGO!! That is what all this is about!! The NWTF had its hand in this as well which is why they have not gotten another dime from me since all this passed.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuffy View Post
    There have been times in the past when the percentage of jakes in the harvest may have been a serious concern, but it's not high on my list now. The effect is complicated.
    What do you mean by complicated?