Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Davis on habitat and food preferences

Default Davis on habitat and food preferences

The thread that Tuffy created and 2th and Lab turned into a shit show got me thinking a bit about my family's property and the turkey ebbs and flows there over the years. I read bits and parts of this book before and during each season but I just re-read the chapters on habitat and food preferences. I come away more impressed with this guy and his uncanny piece of work each time I pick it up. I realize it's hard to get your hands on but anybody in SC that is interested in the birds will come away a better outdoorsman having read it.

"hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

This is required reading for prospective 12th legion members. Along with The Sound of Music, Helter Skelter, Chicken Soup For the Single Moms Soul, and Dreams From My Father.

I will try and find a copy.
    Genesis 9;2

Yesr ordered last night.
    Genesis 9;2

Any pictures? Looks awful thick for a book with just words.

There is a copy on Ebay for $675!

The repos arent cheap either. The 1st edition with a dust jacket can go for over 1k.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Any pictures? Looks awful thick for a book with just words.
    Let me come chase your birds and I'll let you look at the pictures. My boy shot the only longbeard we had.
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

well, that's horrible management.

and I didnt dick up a thread. Lab did. I was trying to learn not to hate a fucking pine tree....but I still do.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

It is....We have great habitat if we burn regularly. I can say though that I've seen less birds in the area than in the last 20 years and it doesn't have a thing to do with a pine tree.

Rubberhead

Toofer fucked up thread and the downward spiral has a lot to do with lack of pine forest management. Ya'll just keep your heads in the sand.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Stripa Swipa View Post
    It is....We have great habitat if we burn regularly. I can say though that I've seen less birds in the area than in the last 20 years and it doesn't have a thing to do with a pine tree.
    it has to do with managing the pine tree?

I just want to make sure I am following instead of "dicking up a thread."

Seems a lot of you talk out of both sides of your mouth. At least I cant get blamed for that....

You said my problem is poor management. I responded with "It is."

I'm starting to worry about you.....

Rubberhead

and me, you.

Your poor management was shooting the only tom you had.

Burning is good but not nearly sufficient enough. Mast is an essential component of a turkeys diet during the winter, particularly acorns. In case you want to call me an idiot, let me provide just one of many articles which outline the importance. The pine tree guys just can't comprehend this for whatever reasons. Here ya go:

http://www.mast-producing-trees.org/...es-and-shrubs/

Here is the nuts and bolts:

Mast is one of the most important food sources for wild turkeys. Whether you want to hunt turkeys or observe them, you can enhance wild turkey habitat around your home by planting a diverse mix of mast-producing trees and shrubs. A woodlot that is well managed to increase mast production is the equivalent of a permanent food plot for wild turkeys.

The most important mast-producing trees to plant for wild turkeys are oak trees. Acorn mast makes up 70% of the diet of wild turkeys in autumn. Ideally, about 50% of the trees you plant should be native oaks of several different species. The most important species for turkeys across most of their native range include White Oak (Quercus alba) and Red Oak (Quercus rubra).

No matter how well a pine plantation is managed, there is no way in hell it can compare to oaks, in the fall and winter.
    Last edited by LabLuvR; 04-10-2017 at 05:43 PM.
    12-26-98 12-1-13

No argument from me on that. I've tons of water oaks and always have birds during the fall. I don't have birds in the spring because we haven't burned in a decade. Big gobblers love the base of a big pine tree...Amongst many other things.

Rubberhead

Then you need some food plots to supplement the oaks. You are loosing birds because come spring or thereabouts, turks move off the oaks onto grasses, bugs etc. Like I mentioned earlier, burning is but one component of a decent management plan. Think crimson clover and wheat mix for your spring plots and don't forget chufa if you can. I have the exact opposite dilemma, no birds in the winter but they show up every year around March, stick around about a month or so and move on. They are some fickle creatures.
    Last edited by LabLuvR; 04-10-2017 at 08:53 PM.
    12-26-98 12-1-13

Got plenty of those areas but the woods are too thick.

Rubberhead

Quote Originally Posted by LabLuvR View Post
    Burning is good but not nearly sufficient enough. Mast is an essential component of a turkeys diet during the winter, particularly acorns. In case you want to call me an idiot, let me provide just one of many articles which outline the importance. The pine tree guys just can't comprehend this for whatever reasons. Here ya go:

http://www.mast-producing-trees.org/...es-and-shrubs/

Here is the nuts and bolts:

Mast is one of the most important food sources for wild turkeys. Whether you want to hunt turkeys or observe them, you can enhance wild turkey habitat around your home by planting a diverse mix of mast-producing trees and shrubs. A woodlot that is well managed to increase mast production is the equivalent of a permanent food plot for wild turkeys.

The most important mast-producing trees to plant for wild turkeys are oak trees. Acorn mast makes up 70% of the diet of wild turkeys in autumn. Ideally, about 50% of the trees you plant should be native oaks of several different species. The most important species for turkeys across most of their native range include White Oak (Quercus alba) and Red Oak (Quercus rubra).

No matter how well a pine plantation is managed, there is no way in hell it can compare to oaks, in the fall and winter.
    No one has argued against the importance of hard mast!
    Most of us understand that is a given...
    Carry on with your little personal inside argument...
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE