Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 -Stroke Yamaha vs Mercury?

I have a 2002 1650 Xpress with the Hyperlift hull I have a 40 4-stroke yamaha tiller I am trying to sell. I run about 32mph with just me, so I am going to upgrade to a 50hp 2stroke. I'm torn between going with another yamaha or switching to a merc. I have priced them both out and can get them for about the same amount. I want speed but I also want something to last. What would ya'll do? and what kind of speed increase do you think I'll get? Thanks

Oh boy here we go again. I'll let BSD handle this one since he's always right but I will say I'll never jump on the Yamaha bandwagon
    More fuel = more boost!!

KRT has jungle fever.

FYI Merc 4 strokes are built by Yamaha.
    The Verado 4 stroke is built by Merc though/

Read carefully, he's wanting to upgrade to a 50 2 stroke. My stock 40 Mercury will out run a stock 40 yamaha by several boat lengths.

But it's a duck boat not a racing boat
    More fuel = more boost!!

If you wanna always come home from the swamp go with yamaha, if you want something to break or something to cuss at go with merc.
    Good to talk, see you out there!

BSD, I swear your dad said he preferred a Merc. That was the reason I was wondering about you selling that prop.

Now who was it that busted their frame or whatever on the Yamaha this past poker run?

They are both good motors. Why don't we split a few hairs. I prefer a brunette.

looks like vultures huvering around the dead
    More fuel = more boost!!

that jager bomb was good!

make the best out of a bad situation eh? [img]graemlins/drinky.gif[/img]
    More fuel = more boost!!

Something doesn't sound right about your speed with the 40 Yamaha. I am running the exact same boat and had a 40 Johnson on it and was turning 37mph with just me in the boat and could run 32 with me, another person, and fishing gear.

I don't know how it would run with the 50 Yamaha, but I just bolted on a 2005 50hp Mercury with trim and tilt and I am now running 42mph by myself and 37mph with another person. The Merc is a 2 stroke and I'm running a 10 1/2x15 prop on it. I haven't tried a bigger prop yet but I can tell you that a 11x15 is slower on the same boat.

Let me know if you go with the Merc and what prop size you decide on. Always looking to get a little faster if possible. Oh yeah, all the speeds were taken by gps readings.

Good luck
    Living in Moncks Corner but looking forward to moving back to the West Coast in 2020 where there are more ducks and less duck hunters!! LOL

Ring King,
    Thanks for the input that is what I was wanting to hear. I think the reason my speed is slower than your johnson is mines a four stroke they are good on gas but they are sluggish. I'm thinking about the Mercury more if you look at the specs it has the 60hp block and 967cc's compared to the yamaha's 698cc's. I would think the motor won't have to work as the yamaha. How is it on gas? How do you like it so far? Thanks again

BTW 4 strokes are not nearly as fast as 2 strokes.

BSD, please explain that. Why would 2 motors of equal HP not be able to run the same boat at the same speed. I understand that a 2 stroke is faster out of the hole and more responsive, but why wouldn't two motors of equal hp push the same boat the same speed. Maybe this is so because the 4 stroke weighs more?

please explain genius.

better yet what is the difference between 2 strokes and 4 strokes?

Inquiring minds wanna know?
    More fuel = more boost!!

"please explain genius."

Yea, what he said!

I'll get your back, KRT. I had a 25 hp Mercury that would smoke a 25 hp Yamaha....all day long.

I have owned both and had less trouble out of the Mercury than I did my 30, 25, and 15 hp Yamahas.
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!

Alright torque wrench, I know the difference between a two & four stroke, why would two engines of equal power have different speeds on the same boat. Leave torque out of this if you can.

And let's say they have the same prop and the hp is measured at the prop shaft. What have I left out?

I used to have an older Merc 2o that would run circles around the 25 hp OMC products. This was before the day of Yamaha outboards here in the US. BSD probably wasn't born. Ducks were in Santee and nobody hunted the top of Lake Murray. Nobody would shoot a doe. Not even me. Now that's a stretch.

The specs on the merc show that it is has larger displacement and more actual hp than the other brands. Apparently the manufacturers are given a certain amount of play when it comes to the actual hp of a motor vs the hp number that it is labeled. In this department the Merc's are usually over that labeled number where as most of the other manufacturers are under or right at what is printed on the cowling. When I purchased my new motor I was looking to get more speed and better performance and therefor wanted as much extra hp as I could get without exceeding the boats max recommended hp.

With the new Merc 50 the boat gets higher out of the water than with the old 40 and is considerably faster. Also the electric trim and tilt is an amazing improvement over the hydraulic assist on the Johnson 40.

My only tip to you about the Merc's is that before you even put the boat in the water you need to remove the nozzle from the pisser hose on the back of the motor. The hose is of adequate size to prevent blockage but the nozzle is so small that any small piece of grass will cause the motor to stop pissing. This is apparently true for any of the new Merc's b/c we had the same problem with a new Merc 90.

The 50 uses a bit more fuel than my old 40 but that is understandable due to the additional cylinder and the increased running speed. If I had know you were looking to swap motors a month or so ago I would have taken you for a test run in my rig. I wont be back to SC until some time after the duck and goose season ends here in Lousiana. Its just not worth leaving Lousiana to come home and hunt SC.

Good luck with your new motor what ever you decide.
    Living in Moncks Corner but looking forward to moving back to the West Coast in 2020 where there are more ducks and less duck hunters!! LOL

Ducktail why the hostility [img]graemlins/confused.gif[/img] Nobody would shoot a doe [img]graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Well for one Mercury is rated at the foot meaning you have 40 horses at the prop. Yamaha is rated at the head, there is loss of horsepower through the transformation of torque to output.

Now the same motor on the same boat scenario

OK a 40 hp 2 stroke on 15 foot hightide runs lets say 35 mph

Ok a 40 hp 4 stroke on a 15 foot hightide runs lets say 30 mph

Why the difference? WELL you told me you knew the difference in a 2 stroke verses a 4 stroke [img]graemlins/confused.gif[/img] I'm not a marine mechanic but I know why a 2 stroke is faster, due to the differences of the internal combustion engine in a 4 stroke against a 2 stroke.

Yeah I'm a youngster compared to you, but I do know what I'm talking about when it comes to 2 verses 4 strokes
    More fuel = more boost!!