Thread: Foothills Trail

Default Foothills Trail

Anyone hiked the foothills trail?

I would like to do this one in a long-ish weekend. It's 70 plus miles which should be a reasonable 4-5 days of hiking but I'm not sure of the terrain or any obstacles that may slow me down. Waiting on the guide book to come in the mail to read more but figured I would ask here.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Not yet but my daughter and I have talked several times about doing it. Depending on the direction but East to West starts with a 2,000 foot climb in about a mile if I remember correctly. That'll slow you down...
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

I've done it twice, once in each direction. Both times were in the spring and hardly saw anyone on the trail. It's in great condition and other than some tough climbs out of the river bottoms, there are no real obstacles. If you hike at a decent pace and don't take many side trips, four days is plenty.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberhead* View Post
    Not yet but my daughter and I have talked several times about doing it. Depending on the direction but East to West starts with a 2,000 foot climb in about a mile if I remember correctly. That'll slow you down...
    Yea, that should be a good way to get the muscles burning.

Quote Originally Posted by BowfinClassic View Post
    I've done it twice, once in each direction. Both times were in the spring and hardly saw anyone on the trail. It's in great condition and other than some tough climbs out of the river bottoms, there are no real obstacles. If you hike at a decent pace and don't take many side trips, four days is plenty.
    Glad to hear you say that. I'd like to do it in 4 days, mainly because that's about all the time I could squeeze out of work right now. Do you know of shuttle that will transport you from one end to the other? Would like to drop my truck off at the Eastern end and start at the west.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

There's a list on the Foothills Trail Conference website. Jim Simpson gave me a ride last year when I went west to east. Great guy.

You really need 4 days to do it. If you're in super hiking shape maybe 3.
    You've got one life. Blaze on!

Four days three nights is average. It can be done in three if you are getting it but that doesn't leave time for looking and enjoying the scenery. Rubber heads right. The first leg from tr goes up fast. That's the pinnacle mountain trail. The last leg up to bald knob I thought was the hardest vs the initial climb. There are some other legs of it that are steep too but def manageable. I have done all the trails now that make up the trail but haven't through hiked it yet. Supposed to get it in may. Was shooting for April but wife's plans and my moms plans it's not going to work out.
    Quote Originally Posted by BOG View Post
    Tip:
    Although it is natural for you and seems to be out of your hands, try to suppress your natural inclination towards dumbassedness and do some research of your own.I wish you luck.
    Tekton Game Calls
    http://tektongamecalls.com

Good deal. Might try to get it done in May around the holiday. Take an extra day off work and get it done over the weekend.