Thread: pirogue

any of ya'll ever ridden in a pirogue. i wanted a marsh rat but sportsmans warehouse said it would be a while. looking for something to paddle around in sparkleberry. wonder if ya'll ever used one or have a better idea
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

SCTIMBER Coots

Never been in one, was interested a while back in getting one though. From what I learned they do take some getting use to and that it is best learned in warm water [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I was thinking a flat bottom boat would be more stable vs a canoe or similar but the folks I spoke with say the canoe is, heck who knows. I'm sticking with an old one man sneak for the moment

Pm Ring King, I believe he spent some time in them while in LA. If you go with one, I'd look into the Chapman

edited, I mean Costa'd [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Good Luck [img]graemlins/thumb2.gif[/img]

I built a pirogue last year and modified it with top decks to keep it from taking in water in case I tipped it a little. Rides well on the water and you can stealth up on some birds in the swamp. I built it deep so that you can lay in it and hunt out of it as well.

He would have been nice next year.

Chapmans are the finest pirogues ever made!! They are made of fiberglass though and I'm not sure if he ever reopened after hurricane Katrina wiped us out. He took a real beating, but said that he was going to reopen. There was no sign of him when I left Louisiana back in January and I thought for sure he would have started back by then.

I prefer to stay away from the aluminum ones. They're really noisy and don't slide across the slime like a nice fiberglass one. I can push pole across wet grass with my Chapman. You can get em used on Louisianasportsman.com classifieds from time to time, but you have to be quick. They don't last long at all.

They take a little getting used to, but they aren't that bad unless you're a complete klutz. I stand up in mine all the time and have even ridin it with another 250lb guy in it along with me. You don't have much free board when riding two people, but it's doable for short distances across protected water.

There's nothing better than a pirogue for duck hunting. Low profile, the ability to go anywhere, and extremely portable at 45lbs. Get one if you can!

This is the inside of Ron Chapman's shop after Katrina.

This is my buddy Dave (240lbs) during his first hunt out of a pirogue. He did fine even standing up. Hell, I fish for redfish while standing in one. I wouldn't recommend that for a first timer though!

Living in Moncks Corner but looking forward to moving back to the West Coast in 2020 where there are more ducks and less duck hunters!! LOL

I bought an extra long kayak paddel for my pirogue. I use it like a layout. Why do you want a pirogue? You can slip in that rig you just got.
    easy livin'

yes, i can run that mud buddy in mud, but not accross the hard dirt banks that keep you from going in some holes in sparkleberry. i drove up into swift creek saturday and you could go about 150 yards and then there is dry land. gonna have to leave the big boat and put in and paddle from there. the water is bad low, like 5" at packs. gonna be interesting this year, gotta work real hard to get a duck here. maybe it will keep the idiots out. then again, the dumb asses will probably drive by you a half hour before shooting time in a toyota or four wheeler with the music turned up.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.

ring king, what model is that one in your pic, i was looking at a cottonmouth. Also had a guy pm me today about a 12' gatortrax for 600 bucks.

The pic with me kneeling in the pirogue is a Chapman Cottonmouth. The other one with Dave standing is a Campagna two man. They aren't as good as a Chapman, but they work. The big advantage of the Chapman is when you run out of water. The Chapmans will still go with a push pole and a little effort over the mud where as the other brands seem to "stick" when you run out of water. That and the Chapmans are lighter than most of the other brands.

Aluminum is noisy, cold in the winter, and too hot to touch in the summer!
    Living in Moncks Corner but looking forward to moving back to the West Coast in 2020 where there are more ducks and less duck hunters!! LOL

I think Ron Chapman makes the BEST but these look interesting. www.pawpawspirogues.com I wish I had one to try out. Search around Houma, Louisiana and there are tons of backyard builders there. I agree with RingKing about aluminum too noisey and hot in summer.

If you have basic woodwork knowledge you can build your own, cheap! They can be duck killing machines.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

Paw Paw's were also made within a few miles of my place down outside of New Orleans. They have a great fit and finish, but way to much bow for me. Looks like a banana and doesn't have near the free board that a Chapman has. They'll do, but I'd prefer a true flat bottom pirogue for what I do.

Paw Paw's looks really rounded like a fiberglass version of a dugout. There is a nice 12 footer on Louisiana Sportsman for $175. It'll sell quick at that price. I made a small 11 footer from 1/4" plywood. I hate I sold it now. I used the "stitch and glue" method and it worked like a champ! Very light and skated in mud. I have the "plans" (very simple)if anyone is interested in them.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

yeah i looked at paw paw's website, and it looked like if you sneezed you would take in water on the side. I got a guy at work that is got a sneek boat i might can get cheap and take the trolling motor off. if not, i'll have to order one from chapman and take my chances at getting it fore duck season. thanks fellas for all the response. if anyone is around sumter and have one, i wanna go for a spin, or a dip as i'm told might happen to newbies

SCTIMBER Coots

Phone Man, not trying to talk you out of the pirogue, but the sneak boats made in Pelion are super sweet for low water conditions and standing up/moving around. Only thing or at least with mine is that when you run out of water you are gonna have to drag it.

I've never posted a picture so hopefully this will work. I wanted to show you all a couple of cheapo pirouges that you can make. These are two different boats. My son is in my first attempt pirouge built from a "kit" by "Uncle Johns". The next pirouge was a wee tiny one that was my best. I liked it better it was shorter and lighter than all I had built before.

i bought a marsh rat from sportsmans warehouse last night. they called and said they got some in. this thing is awesome perfect layout boat, very stable and paddle good with a kayak paddle. i tested it today when i got off work and it paddled right through lilly pads and slid through grass with no problem. floats in like 2 inches of water with 210 lb me in it. if ya'll are looking for a sneak boat that can be used as a layout, ya'll need to check one out. I've been wanting one for a while and am tickled pink. can't wait for duck season.

What kind of $$$$$$ on that marsh rat Phone dude??????/
    Doin' what I do best! STRAIGHT KILLIN'

2010 SCDucks Deer Champion
    2010 SCDucks Turkey Champion
    2007,2008,2009, 2010 NBK Deer Killin' Champion

pirogues

there you go....
    Start counting backwards from 100...

Thanks Deep! How it do that??? Not as 'telligent as all you all.

Phone Man, I had two Marsh Rats, Sold one to a friend to pony up some funds for 1644 godevil boat. The Marsh Rat is the best, lightest, most versatile boat made. Layout, stand up, paddle, pushpole, drag, etc. Very stable!

Did David Boys Jr. put a backrest in the "newer" ones? His father is the fellow that passed away chasing ducks in the Pacific Northwest.

cajun, no it is just the plain old boat, but it has the flotation under the front and back(i was told the old ones didn't have that) and it is dar olive drab green instead of that funky camo that they show on the website. it was 549 at sportsmans warehouse, they had nine of them when i went and got mine. great boat, just a pain to deal with sportsmans warehouse. I had to fill out all of this liability crap, they made copies of my license all kinds of stuff. I'd hate to buy a gun from there, they probably do full cavity searches for one of those and a dna check to see if you have arab blood in you. Anyhow, i love the boat, get one if you can.

heres a video I found about Paw Paws Pirogues

Start counting backwards from 100...