Thread: Dealing with trespassers

Default Dealing with trespassers

I'm hunting a new piece of land and the landowner says they have problems with trespassers. I have no experience with that situation so here is my question.

Let's say I'm a quarter mile from a road and encounter a trespasser. How do I handle the situation? I know to call DNR but what if the trespasser hauls ass? What proof do I need? Those are the type questions I have. Explain to ol Lab what to do please. Thanks for pardoning my apparent ignorance.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Take cell phone picture of person and vehicle if possible. Warn them they have been notified of trespassing.

The few I "caught" over the years were so surprised when I confronted them that they told me everything I needed to know. Had one that turned to take off running and remembered he had his 7 or 8 yr old son with him a stopped and came back. If you can't get in touch with LE right then, use your cell phone to take a pic of the trespasser and any info you might need (drivers license, hunting license, etc). Usually when you catch them, they know they are had and will give you whatever info you need (while they are begging you not to call the GW.

Agree with letting them talk. Don't say much but ask vague questions. Then as they talk drill down for details.

And I agree on a cell phone pic. The last one I caught came up to me and started asking questions. I played dumb and I was amazed at all he told me.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

My uncle asked a trespasser he found who gave him permission? The guy gave him my uncle's name. He had never seen the guy in his life and the other fella had no idea who he was. But he knew who's name he was supposed to say.

One other thought. I'm not sure how it works but you might check with DNR ahead of time to see what you need to prosecute or does it have to be the landowner. You might alsk want to carry written proof of permission as well.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

The one I caught that started to run was from Scumter....imagine that! He told me his name, address, where he worked, his work address, work number, etc. When he got to work the next morning, a GW was waiting on him.

Quote Originally Posted by thunderchicken View Post
    Had one that turned to take off running and remembered he had his 7 or 8 yr old son with him a stopped and came back.
    Da hell?

I really want to think you are decently smart, but based on the last 3 days of posts, its not looking optimistic.

Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Da hell?
    When I was a trooper, I stopped a guy one time that jumped out and ran into the woods on foot, leaving his two little girls in the truck. They were 3 and 5. He totally left them....never even though about coming back.
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    You're also one of select few clemings with sense.

Quote Originally Posted by thunderchicken View Post
    The one I caught that started to run was from Scumter....imagine that! He told me his name, address, where he worked, his work address, work number, etc. When he got to work the next morning, a GW was waiting on him.
    I have a couple friends for whom I know all of that info. If I ever get caught, the GW will be showing up at one of their workplaces the next morning.
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

I've had to deal with several, usually it's just a big misunderstanding where they thought they weren't doing anything wrong. One guy told me he was hunting family land even though the land had changed owners 5 years before but he claimed he didn't know about it. Or the old man across the street said its okay to turkey hunt here even though he's not the land owner. Usually a simple conversation with them solves any problem. I had one guy run because he was turkey hunting out of season and DNR searched for him for a while but it didn't do any good.

I unkowingly trespassed one year in one of my bowhunting spots.

I had had permission for several years, I would email the guy and check in every couple years, and it was always good enough.

Then I went online and searched the gis and dang if he hadnt sold it the August before. I guess he didnt think to let me know. It was a honest mistake.

Luckily I didnt run into the new owner
    I am a nobody, that met somebody, that can save anybody.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ1965 View Post
    When I was a trooper, I stopped a guy one time that jumped out and ran into the woods on foot, leaving his two little girls in the truck. They were 3 and 5. He totally left them....never even though about coming back.
    Lowest of the low.

If the land is under DNR Landwatch program do you have to prosecute? The reason I ask is some of the border is not posted very well. I am getting ready to correct that soon, but don't wan't to prosecute someone who made an honest mistake, I would rather just warn them.
    12-26-98 12-1-13

Quote Originally Posted by LowcountryBuck View Post
    I really want to think you are decently smart, but based on the last 3 days of posts, its not looking optimistic.
    HA!HA! Be nice bitch I'm still somewhat smart. ROFLMAO!!
    12-26-98 12-1-13

Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Lowest of the low.
    The judge thought so too.

Assuming youre talking about the Newberry property. SNF is broken up there like crazy. It could be real easy for someone to trespass unknowingly. Its their responsibility to know where they are and the maps are free from DNR, but I could see it happening. If they run though its obviously not a mistake.

PS Ive run into evidence of active marijuana grows up there while scouting in the summer. Be careful, them fellers dont play....

I just take a cellphone picture of them and make it obvious that I'm doing it. Then I let em know the will get charged if I catch em again.

I was setting up a stand on the back of my property years ago when a group of guys walked up to me and said, " You know you're on private property". I was like no shit, i'm on my property. "Oh my bad, where's the line?"... They were about 25yds onto my property.