Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Scout 172 Gas Tank

Quote Originally Posted by justpracticin View Post
    You are right, just water does not require a new tank. It is a 1999 and I was just wondering worst case. The gas/mix from the water separator is opaque and discolored. I am planning on draining the tank. The fill cap has been replaced, so I am wondering if that was how water got it. The price was right for me to put some work and money into a solid boat.
    The opaque gas mixture you see is what has been drained out sitting on the bottom of the separator and is actually an indication that it is doing its job correctly. Now that it is drained I would run it as is and check it again to see how bad the problem is as it could have just been an accumulation over a long time.

It is also best practice to put a new separator on it as there is no telling how old the current one is. put the date on the new one with a marker.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernWake View Post
    The opaque gas mixture you see is what has been drained out sitting on the bottom of the separator and is actually an indication that it is doing its job correctly. Now that it is drained I would run it as is and check it again to see how bad the problem is as it could have just been an accumulation over a long time.

It is also best practice to put a new separator on it as there is no telling how old the current one is. put the date on the new one with a marker.
    I bought a bought last fall and the fuel/water separator had been on so long, I had to remove the bracket and get a whole new assembly. People the cartridges are less than $10 and with the price of gas, just change the damn thing out or at least remove it and dump it periodically. Personally, I like the clear bowl RACOR models that you can drain the water out of the bottom, but they must be installed above deck.

Those 17 Scouts and 17 Key West all seemed to have fuel tank issues, wonder if there is any common thread like a vendor etc.? MG
    Dum Spiro Spero

Dang- I have a 2000 model 177 flats. Might otter sell it with the crazy boat prices. Wife wants a bigger boat anyways.

A friend of mine had to replace their tank two years ago. Same exact boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Habit View Post
    Dang- I have a 2000 model 177 flats. Might otter sell it with the crazy boat prices. Wife wants a bigger boat anyways.
    Give it a month or so then list it high!

Often the death of those stainless tanks is water held against them by foam or the stringer system. Condensation and other factors can put water in a hull (and even a gas tank) beyond just water spraying in.