Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scout 172 Gas Tank

Default Scout 172 Gas Tank

1994 model. Gas in the bilge. Checked all hoses and connections I could get to and they all look fine. I suspect the aluminum tank has sprung a leak.

Hopefully I can unbolt the console, cut the caulk and tip it back without uncabling everythinig. I think it's a 30 gal tank and hope it fits through the hole in the floor.

Anyone have any experience pulling the tank in one?

Make sure its the tank first. Any chance its the carbs leaking and its making it to the bilge?
    Probably is a pin hole in the tank with that age
    How much gas is in the tank right now?
    How much gas are we talking about in the bilge?

I'd bet money it's the tank. I haven't heard of a single one that hasn't leaked. Mine was already replaced when I bought it. You could either replace it or go with an external tank. I've seen external tanks anywhere from the front storage compartment to inside the center console to in front of the motor. You will lose storage and fuel capacity (not to mention weight in the bow) regardless of where you put the external tank so I would advise against external tanks and instead instal a new internal tank.

I agree, external tanks are a pain in the ass. You lose so much space and maneuverability.
    Sea Ark 1542 w/ Yamaha 40
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer
    War Eagle 15 w/ 30 Hammer

--------------------------------------------------

"Sometimes you gotta grab the bull by the horns and the women by the tits and take charge in your life" - General Patton

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over."
    - Rhett Butler

Tank is about empty, gas is puddled and dripping out of the hull drain. No way it's from the carbs.

It's my FIL's boat and it lives at Edisto. I used it in September and it would have had 1/2 - 3/4 in it when I put it up.
    He pulled it off the island before Mathew and I am doing the routine maint stuff to it before I pull it back down. I noticed the gauge was on E when I started working on it which I found odd, thought the gauge was bad or someone stole the gas out of it. When I moved it that's when I noticed the gas in the bilge. I guess what was in there sloshed around and some found it's way out. I'm headed to Barnwell this weekend where it sat from Oct until a few weeks ago. Should be dead grass where it was sitting.

After reading around some it not an uncommon thing with aluminum tanks, for Scout or anyone else.

Gonna tear into it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Make sure its the tank first. Any chance its the carbs leaking and its making it to the bilge?
    Probably is a pin hole in the tank with that age
    How much gas is in the tank right now?
    How much gas are we talking about in the bilge?

A friend of mine had to get his replaced. Maryville Marine in Georgetown did the work. I don't remember it being crazy expensive.

You see, Mr. Adjuster...I was just flicking a cigarette butt in the general direction of the boat, and then BOOM!

Sent via TapaTalk on S7 Edge.

Quote Originally Posted by jcoker View Post
    A friend of mine had to get his replaced. Maryville Marine in Georgetown did the work. I don't remember it being crazy expensive.
    I'm almost positive I've got the boat you are referring to.

If the tank had that much in it and it's pretty much empty now, then at least you know the hole is at or very close to the bottom of the tank. Sucks no matter which way you turn it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by willyworm; 03-13-2017 at 06:25 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Quote Originally Posted by Ishootwinchester View Post
    I'm almost positive I've got the boat you are referring to.
    I shot you a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post
    Sucks no matter which way you turn it.
    Yep, a quick little maintenance/cleanup job turned into this...... Now I gotta get it out.

At least it's not foamed in.

Quote Originally Posted by We Jeep Inn View Post

At least it's not foamed in.
    That a way to find the silver lining.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Replacing the tank in my 1999 177 right now. Ezell which is who manufactured the tank wants around $550 for the tank plus $130 shipping. Not sure of the 172 but I had to cut the deck in my boat to get the tank out.

Got it out today. It's a big SOB, 34 gallons. Had to pull the rigging and the console to get it out. Tank has a few pinholes in the bottom.
    The tank was manufactured by Best. Assuming they are still in business, I'm gonna see if a tank is still available.

While you have it apart take the time to replace all fuel lines and all wiring. I had one exactly like it and it's an easy rewire.

Quote Originally Posted by waterbreaker View Post
    While you have it apart take the time to replace all fuel lines and all wiring. I had one exactly like it and it's an easy rewire.
    Yep, I've gone this far so I'm going to make it right.

How did this end up? I picked up a a172 and i believe that the fuel has water in it - it is milky when I dump the filter. Trying to look at worst case of what I have coming down the road.
    Honey...I'll do it after the season is over.

Originally Posted by cudexter
    I would argue that JP has the highest "quality" to "trash talk" post ratio on this site.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Air Raid
    ... Wait till 3 years from now! ...

Quote Originally Posted by justpracticin View Post
    How did this end up? I picked up a a172 and i believe that the fuel has water in it - it is milky when I dump the filter. Trying to look at worst case of what I have coming down the road.
    Water in the fuel should be an easier fix than a new tank.

Is what you are dumping just a filter or the water separater?

Good Luck with it. How much water? Keep running it and replace the filter and NO E GAS and see what happens before you tear into it
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

You are right, just water does not require a new tank. It is a 1999 and I was just wondering worst case. The gas/mix from the water separator is opaque and discolored. I am planning on draining the tank. The fill cap has been replaced, so I am wondering if that was how water got it. The price was right for me to put some work and money into a solid boat.
    Honey...I'll do it after the season is over.

Originally Posted by cudexter
    I would argue that JP has the highest "quality" to "trash talk" post ratio on this site.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Air Raid
    ... Wait till 3 years from now! ...