Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: doe day with tags

Quote Originally Posted by PBiz View Post
    It's St. Stephen*
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Patron St of fork horns.
    30068683-2472680larry-the-cable-guy-funny.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Bigtimber2 View Post
    With 12 doe tags and 5 buck tags per hunter and the ADQP and DQP there is away to manage any property for any management objective rather in the mountains, the Coastal Plains, plantation or a hunt club. The only change is in one game zone where bucks changed from unlimited to 5. No changes in does unless it was an increase. You can't sell you need unlimited to bucks to manage in GZ 6. The one size fits all is only rhetoric in regards to this bill. One simple change to bucks.
    Our club has consistently killed 120-140 bucks per year (dog club) on roughly 8,000 acres for 20 plus years. No spikes or cow horns and less than a dozen 3-4 points per year (kids mainly). Ten to fifteen 125 inch+ bucks per year. Very few does on one tract of land in order to keep the farmers happy. No does on our largest tract for 20+ years. We do not trophy manage. According to CR if we enroll in the QDP our number of buck tags will decrease every year. How exactly will we be able to continue our style of management under the new system?
    Become one with nature then marinate it.

60 members x 5 tags = 300 bucks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

How many people fill out the tags and report kills the DNR.?

Quote Originally Posted by Timsmith View Post
    How many people fill out the tags and report kills the DNR.?
    Probably not many, but it's also not required.
    The go to cool person

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkleberry Ridge Runner View Post
    Our club has consistently killed 120-140 bucks per year (dog club) on roughly 8,000 acres for 20 plus years. No spikes or cow horns and less than a dozen 3-4 points per year (kids mainly). Ten to fifteen 125 inch+ bucks per year. Very few does on one tract of land in order to keep the farmers happy. No does on our largest tract for 20+ years. We do not trophy manage. According to CR if we enroll in the QDP our number of buck tags will decrease every year. How exactly will we be able to continue our style of management under the new system?
    60 members x 5 tags = 300 bucks

Ok, I guess I was wrong to assume some logic and reason would be applied. Take the above scenario and include in that some members kill none (old, can't shoot well, suck, whatever) some kill 1-3 some kill 4-6 etc etc. Since you can NOT share tags I will again ask "How will we be able to continue our style of management under the new system?"

Your club would kill as many just the ones that typically kill over 5 will not be subsidised by the others.

Why is it so hard to admit that this new program does not fit everyone across the State?

Your club would kill as many just the ones that typically kill over 5 will not be subsidised by the others.

No they wouldn't. You probably believe in wealth redistribution too based on your displayed logic.
    cut\'em

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkleberry Ridge Runner View Post
    Why is it so hard to admit that this new program does not fit everyone across the State?
    Would you please propose a program that would. Also, please do not tell me the old game laws were suitable because they weren't, please don't tell me you "don't want anymore government over reach", just give us a good sound plan that will work for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Southernduck View Post
    No they wouldn't. You probably believe in wealth redistribution too based on your displayed logic.
    Do all your members pay the same dues?

Yup all 1 of them.
    cut\'em

So if all members pay the same everyone deserves to kill the same amount..... Sounds like it came straight from the mind of Bernie! And you've come out me because I'm friends with a democrat!! Haha

You say some really dumb stuff trying to piggyback on what somebody else said. Wildlife is the Public Trust. Check out the Public Trust Doctrine it is like Bernie designed it but with wildlife it works.

Many clubs evenly distribute the doe tags. Many clubs have limits lower than the state limit. My club has a limit of 2 bucks to 2 does. At 120 acres per member no members should kill more 4. We lost a couple of disability hunters that hunted everyday but it works.

I'm done arguing with you. You will never see anyone else's point of view on this subject because you can't get past yours. I can see your side and why you want it. The only thing is it's delusional to think in SC we can grow 150" to 170" bucks on the regular. Here's another thing, I don't care what you or anybody else does in the upstate. I don't hunt that God forsaken place. To many hills for me. So if you do not hunt here why do you want to tell us how we should hunt? And like I've said before, I hunt just like you without the bow aspect.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ1012 View Post
    The only thing is it's delusional to think in SC we can grow 150" to 170" bucks on the regular.
    Why do you think this? Not trying to start anything...enough of that going on. I seriously just wonder why you think we cannot grow 150' bucks on the regular here if they are properly nourished and protected until they reach their peak age?
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    You're also one of select few clemings with sense.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ1965 View Post
    Why do you think this? Not trying to start anything...enough of that going on. I seriously just wonder why you think we cannot grow 150' bucks on the regular here if they are properly nourished and protected until they reach their peak age?
    Genetics genetics genetics. What a lot of people forget is there's a big difference between our deer herd in SC and other southern states that are similar to us (i.e. GA AL MS). Those deer herds were restocked with northern deer when the population was low and have those genetics in them. SC never restocked with northern deer. We just moved around our own deer from places that had plenty to places that didn't have any. Our bucks are not genetically able to get to those numbers on the regular. Yes sometimes you will kill a freak that has. But as for the norm it never will happen. Enough people in this state are hunting to kill mature buck now and it's become the norm for people to hunt that way. If this state could grow big bucks that size on the regular, we would be seeing a lot more 150" to 170" bucks now and we still aren't. SC has always been known for quantity of deer and not quality. It will always be that way. If I end up being wrong in 10 years I will be the first to admit it I can assure you. But I don't think I will be.

Because I know what it takes to grow those deer in this state and it is a controlled environment (read high fence) with LOTS of food and protein, mineral programs and aggressive management. In fact very rarely does a mature buck come out of these controlled environments over 150" with just SC genetics.

I am not a deer poet by any means and not an expert but I have a sound understanding of biology, agronomy and plenty of common sense to help me reach my conclusions. I am not one saying we should have a statewide management plan, we have game zones for a reason, because of the diversity. I don't know how you control it or run it but I do know that just because you have a problem in Spartanburg county or Florence county doesn't mean we have a problem in Orangeburg or Dorchester county and it certainly doesn't mean that we should up and change state law to fix a part of the state at the sake of the rest of the state.

I guess you can feel cool tagging your SC deer now but it still ain't tagging one in Iowa.
    cut\'em

Of the 6517 bucks recorded in the record books for South Carolina, only 207 were 150+ inch deer. That is just over 3%.

I do not like this law. It was "sold" on a lie. The stated purpose of this law was to address the declining deer population in SC. Our area has a deer problem, but it is not to few. I wish I had pictures of the 60 acres of beans that my father-in-law never cut. The true intent of this law is to "trophy manage" the state, regardless of what CR says. I could care less what someone else kills, but some of you seemed to be more concerned with others than yourself.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is,
    as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

IMO There are a few places in the state that has the right genetics/soil/management that could consistently do 140” but for the other 90% of the state, it’s just not there. We just don't have the right mix.
    For example a few places I hunt protein feed, shoot age not horns, have for a long time, but it takes a very special deer to make that mark around here. I consistently see and kill multiple 5 ½ + year old bucks a year, most are main frame 8 points, and in that time, I have found 3 bucks that would break 150”. One was around 155 to 160, one was 163 ¼” and the other was 170+ all on different pieces of property, those are the exceptions. With the right piece of property, serious management, feed etc, could it be done, yes, but 170" will never be the reg.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.