Thread: Roof rack for shell

Default Roof rack for shell

Wanting to add a roof rack to my ARE campershell. What's the best brand and setup ? I have looked at many options seems there are several ways to do this. Will be used mostly to haul kayak.

Yakima is the best option in my opinion. Bolt on the tracks then install landing pads an towers with the bars. I've been installing these for 13 years so toss out any questions. Jesse

Cornbread, whats a set installed sell for? I know the kit with bars are around 350 on amazon. Im getting my top painted this week and rack is next on my list
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Phone man, Do you have a link to this? I'll make sure you are getting everything you need. Retail for tracks, Landing pads, towers, and bars comes to 505.

You can also go with a bolt top loader (which is a fake raingutter) bolted through, a very strong option, but not adjustable. This would come to 364 retail. Installation would be 75 to 100 depending on setup.

Retail prices can be played with as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Yakima-54-Inc...=yakima+tracks

I figured tracks would be stronger than the gutter style on the fiberglass as it would spread surface area. I have a set of bars and brackets for the gutter type ill about give away if you know someone that would want em. I really want 2 sets of tracks as i want one set on my camper shell and another on my bronco top. Figured i could space them same distance apart and could use the bars and basket on whichever i needed to strap kayak to at the time.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Quote Originally Posted by Phone Man View Post
    https://www.amazon.com/Yakima-54-Inc...=yakima+tracks

I figured tracks would be stronger than the gutter style on the fiberglass as it would spread surface area. I have a set of bars and brackets for the gutter type ill about give away if you know someone that would want em. I really want 2 sets of tracks as i want one set on my camper shell and another on my bronco top. Figured i could space them same distance apart and could use the bars and basket on whichever i needed to strap kayak to at the time.
    I wouldnt give away the bars. Otherwise you will buy them again.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Cornbred PM me a number I can call you at. I'm looking at hauling 2 kayaks on top. Total weight is around 160lbs. Is this feasible ? Also bars will have to come off to fit in my garage. Therefore ease of removal and installation is a factor also.

8035303168 Anyone can call if you have kayak ore rack questions.