Thread: SHOT Show 2017 - Long Guns

Default SHOT Show 2017 - Long Guns

All in all, very little new under the sun as far as I was concerned. I don't have my notebook handy, but I'll hit a few high points. Probably more later.

PSA
    The new gen AK's looked real good, and made it to may "gonna get one" list. MediaGuy was gracious and we had a good talk. The scenery was good, too.

SAVAGE
    I always enjoy seeing what the new stuff from Savage is going to be. Their new MSR rifles caught my eye - especially the AR-10 variant. Two versions, one marketed as the long range model with a 22" barrel, the other is the "hunter" with a 16½. 5R rifling, left side non-reciprocating charging handle, all in all very solid. Handguard is bolted up like a LaRue, very rigid. Should be a good rig, and comes in 308 and 6.5 Creedmore. I didn't look closely at their AR-15. With everybody making AR-15's now, I figure Daisy and Crossman will have them soon. They also had a "new" chassis rig in 338 Lapua.

WINCHESTER
    Breezed through and saw their answer to the Ruger long range rig - Winchester is calling theirs the XPC, built on their XPR action. Seemed to get good reviews from those that got to go to range day. Which I did not. Time will tell how it holds up next to the Ruger. I think aftermarket barrels are the key to these things.

AMERICAN RIFLE COMPANY
    These guys had a booth about the size of a phone booth. Seriously. But it was fun talking to 'em. They have been making great rings and mounts for a while (I run some on one of my Savages), and have introduced a new rifle action... the "Mausingfield". It has the footprint of a Remington 700, fitting the same stocks, using the same triggers, trigger guards, etc. However, it also has a Springfield 1903 style ejector (strong), a Mauser non-rotating extractor (strong again), and takes Savage barrels and barrel nuts. The rail is keyed into the top, not machined in, so you can get a variety of cants. AND.... available in left hand models. They were pre-selling a limited amount at the show (pre-orders) at I think 30% off. And I was tempted.

TIKKA
    They have changed their T3 line to the T3x. I didn't get to talk to anyone about what this means, but they have a 1 MOA guarantee. I have always liked Tikkas, may end up with one again. Of particular note is the new chassis model - seems EVERYBODY is making chassis models.

LWRC Not exactly new, but this got my blood flowing a little.... I feel a build coming on.

BENELLI had their new SBE. It feels like, well, a SBE. I once again drooled over the ultralight 20 gauge. I mean.... damn.

MOSSBERG has come out with a 28 gauge semiauto - but it's built on a 20 gauge frame.

PWS was great to talk to - I was admiring their SBR's and especially the PDW sized guns. He showed me a 7½" SBR piston driven upper in 7.62x39mm. THAT intrigued me, if for no other reason than cheap ammo. C-Mag makes reliable mags for it. They only make like one run a year, and they sell quick.

INLAND was in the same booth as Hi-Point... and they are coming out with a copy of the Ithaca 37.

Other booths visited included the Remington megaplex, SIG (meh....), Kalashnikov USA (interesting visit, tons of eye candy). The Kal-USA 9mm carbine was intriguing. AR manufacturers EVERYWHERE. I didn't have time to hit 'em all - stopped by JP, Mega, etc... Again, not really a lot of earth shattering stuff. It's always fun to look at the Perazzi booth, but I might as well be looking at Ferraris. Keltec has a 25 round version of their dual-mag pump coming out.

(Free flow of thought at this point....) Trying to remember what else. It'll come to me. Anything of particular interest ask and I'll try to remember. I was logging 15,000+ steps a day on my pedometer, so I was moving a lot.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

did you happen to look at the new Winchester SX4 shotgun?
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

I glanced at it. There was a camera crew there filming something and I couldn't get too close. A lot of places I tried to remember to get back to and frankly either forgot or ran out of steam.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    did you happen to look at the new Winchester SX4 shotgun?
    Feels like the SX3 with minor adjustments. Larger bolt release, larger safety, they claim improved ergonomics, less felt recoil and a new gas system. The biggest change to me was the price. You should see it retailing for less than the SX3.
    Last edited by Dakota's Day; 01-31-2017 at 07:11 AM.

Went to school with the girl on the right in the PSA pic. Didn't know she did that but doesn't surprise me either, pretty cool girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakota's Day View Post
    Feels like the SX3 with minor adjustments. Larger bolt release, larger safety, they claim improved ergonomics, less felt recoil and a new gas system. The biggest change to me was the price. You should see it retailing for less than the SX3.
    Thanks, just saw this.

Will PSA be getting any in?
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

We will. Just finalized the order last week.