Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roku or sling

Default Roku or sling

Which one is better than paying TWC almost $200 for tv we barely watch.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

Amazon firestick(kodi installed)

I have 2, roku 3's, chromecast, and just recently picked up a firestick (and installed kodi/exodus). The roku's run smoother and i like their layout better. The firestick doesnt run as smooth, and i dont like the layout as much, but kodi/exodus is awesome. If i were to go with 1, i'd probably get amazon fire tv so it would run better and install kodi.

i got rid of DTV a couple years ago and haven't ever thought about going back.

I subscribe to sling for college football season only. then i cancel.

Innernets, firestick/box and install Kodi.

I installed kodi on our firebox in the den and my goofy ass wife uses it to watch some stupid reality show about a gay dude and his family from Georgia.

Thousands of movies and this is what she chooses.

I switched from twc and Verizon to direct tv and art&at

Went from 215 TWC and 395 Verizon to 100 direct and 210 att&at

Better plan with unlimited data on the phones with att and an extra movie channel on direct tv
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    now Hogan can fuck off on here all day and call it work, thanks!

Roku and sling serves different purposes. You use a roku to play sling. Any of those mentioned will play sling once you suscribe

A Roku is a "data hub". It's what your streaming media comes through.

A Slingbox is a "data hub", too.

We have 2 Rokus, a Chromecast (which I never use), Google TV w/ keyboard, and a Firestick/Kodi.

I use the Firestick the most. My 8 year-old uses Netflix via the Roku. We also subscribe to Hulu+ (which might be cancelled soon), as well as Amazon Prime. Prime media pretty much sucks, but it's there.

I have sling played via Roku. Pretty pleased so far. Also have Amazon prime. Never lying cable again. Streaming ain't the future, it's the now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Genesis 27:3

Quote Originally Posted by jwmetz View Post
    Roku and sling serves different purposes. You use a roku to play sling. Any of those mentioned will play sling once you suscribe
    This.

Think hardware vs software. Sling is software that can be run on various hardware. Hardware options include Roku, firestick, Chromecast, etc.

What kind of phone? Most phones will support Miracast and will be able to display on these types of hardware. Apple is trying to use their own proprietary casting. Surprise surprise.

Mi box (android tv) from walmart with kodi loaded. Install the ares package. YouTube has instructions.

Just to be clear the $200 includes internet. At least I hope it does. You will still need that for all these options. It probably includes phone as well. If not you might be their most valuable customer.

Home phone----was part of the bundle supposedly don't even know the landline number
    Internet----not sure of what package was selected
    Cable----two tv's I think whole house DVR and hd

We'll keep the internet for streaming but other than that I don't need twc.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

I tried to drop Comcast years ago... Wife and I both work from homes sometimes and when we connect to the VPN's for work it can slow down some internet. I upgraded to the highest speed available, bought a roku, and tried to cut off my cable. They said that once I got internet that fast I got free basic cable. I still use the Roku more than normal cable though.

Do you need a fire stick for each tv or just one an it feeds through all like a cable

Quote Originally Posted by Silentweapon338 View Post
    Do you need a fire stick for each tv or just one an it feeds through all like a cable
    You will need one for each tv. That pretty much goes for any of the streaming devices

Quote Originally Posted by GreenHeadRocker View Post
    Amazon firestick(kodi installed)
    this right here
    Never confuse enthusiasm for capability

Apple TV instead of Roku, especially if you have an iPhone. Apple Airplay allows to play amazon prime and other services on your Apple TV.

Sling, netflix, Admitme and a chromecast is a pretty comprehensive way to go.

To the guys with Amazon Firestorms.......what do y'all do to be able to watch sporting events on ESPN. My wife got us one for Christmas to test out and wants to cancel DirecTV. I can watch ESPN through the firestick but have to enter my DirecTV credentials.

Can you still get these games on just the firestick with no additional carrier. BTW I have installed Kodi and what are some of the things I need to do after installing?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghetto View Post
    A larger caliber will help you with your deer kills. Try it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    I agree with timber22

Ditch Direct and install Sling and add the $5 sports package.