Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: SCDNR Wood Duck Box Program

Quote Originally Posted by Tbone View Post
    Does the predator guard fit tight enough to keep a snake out on that post? I wrapped some posts with semi-rusted predator guards in duct tape to block off all gaps when I was cleaning up old boxes yesterday. I like the natural post even though there's nothing else natural looking about a wood duck box lol.

Quote Originally Posted by DRDUCK View Post
    I got a extra box if anybody needs it
    I can always make use of one.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

I haven't applied for any yet but I may build a few my self. It can't be too hard.

Quote Originally Posted by WNM View Post
    Does the predator guard fit tight enough to keep a snake out on that post? I wrapped some posts with semi-rusted predator guards in duct tape to block off all gaps when I was cleaning up old boxes yesterday. I like the natural post even though there's nothing else natural looking about a wood duck box lol.
    Yea had to hammer the metal a little but it worked. Just used a dead cedar

4 x 4 treated post is form fitting for the predator guard provided by DNR. Ask local lumber yard for warped or damaged scrap. I picked up a bunch for free the other day.

That box on the cedar post looks to be top heavy if it's only secured to the bottom few inches of the post.
    Last edited by cajunwannabe; 02-09-2019 at 06:56 PM.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

I went and put some up today, and cleaned out the ones that I put up last year. Last year's boxes were total shit. I had to basically rebuild all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    I can always make use of one.
    You know where we stay.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Quote Originally Posted by DRDUCK View Post
    You know where we stay.
    I'll give you a shout and swing by this week! Thanks!

Well done but like cajunwannabe said Box is too top heavy.

They are meant to be mounted against the post not on top of post. If you open the side door you can see a pre drilled hole on the back that you can use a small lag bolt to attached to the post. Also another pre drilled hole on the lower portion for you to attach lower bolt or screw to post.

The post should be where the red markup is on the pic.

Also if you do it this way you will not need a step ladder to inspect/clean them.

Not knocking what you did but just offering a suggestion for your next attempt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    4 x 4 treated post is form fitting for the predator guard provided by DNR. Ask local lumber yard for warped or damaged scrap. I picked up a bunch for free the other day.
    Note that if the posts are going to be used in wet ground you want to make sure you ask for Grade 4 treated posts.

Lowes/HD, etc, have all changed to Grade 2, which is NOT effectively treated for full ground contact, and will pretty much rot in a few years in wet ground.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Quote Originally Posted by WoodieSC View Post
    Note that if the posts are going to be used in wet ground you want to make sure you ask for Grade 4 treated posts.

Lowes/HD, etc, have all changed to Grade 2, which is NOT effectively treated for full ground contact, and will pretty much rot in a few years in wet ground.
    Awesome.... I put two IN the water this weekend w Lowes pressure treated 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by Islandguy85 View Post
    Awesome.... I put two IN the water this weekend w Lowes pressure treated 4x4

Sorry to hear that, but I learned the hard way, also. At least you only put two in so far, but for IN the water, you may want to check with a lumber yard. You might need a higher rating. I think the freshwater contact ratings are 4A, 4B and 4C, but I don't know which one is rated for submersion, etc. Saltwater ratings are in the 5's or something.

Have fun.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'