Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Removing Wall Paper

Default Removing Wall Paper

We're renovating our dining room and I'm in the process of removing old wallpaper. This wallpaper, when installed, was supposedly installed so that it's easily removable. I can pull off the vinyl sheets fairly easily but it's leaving behind another layer of paper.

What's the best way to remove this layer? I've watched videos online and it looks like a lot of people are scoring the paper and spraying a solvent on it prior to stripping it. If I put the solvent on first, prior to trying to remove the paper, will this layer come off with the paper?

:FYT:

Dilute purple power with water, SPRAY AND SCRAPE (hot water works better and does help). Spray it down and let it soak a few minutes and SCRAPE

You can go to Lowes/HD and get one of those disks that scores it but the backing is a PITA.

I HATE F'IN WALLPAPER
    Last edited by tprice; 01-08-2017 at 09:35 AM.

i used a steamer on the wall paper i peeled. it worked great

Find a clothes steamer and it'll fall off.

It's been years since I dealt with any but I used some of the dif spray when I had remove some and it worked well. Didn't have any paper left so I can't speak to that

To remove the paper residue we use hot water and a drywall knife. you can buy Dif if you want, but I don't think it makes much difference.

My drywall guy says to use fabric softener. I haven't tried that but we are about to strip some wallpaper at my flip house this week so I'll report back how it works.
    Miner's Daughter's Coal Train 'Rosco'

"The only human quality he lacks is speech" -Alfred Brehm

I used fabric softener mixed with water in a spray bottle and I used a plastic outlet cover to scrape with. I had a buddy who used a scraper and fucked his walls up. Granted he probably didn't know how to use the scraper but I found the outlet cover works well.

Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    To remove the paper residue we use hot water and a drywall knife. you can buy Dif if you want, but I don't think it makes much difference.

My drywall guy says to use fabric softener. I haven't tried that but we are about to strip some wallpaper at my flip house this week so I'll report back how it works.
    Yes fabric softener works.
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

So I should continue pulling the top layer of paper off and then spray the hot water/softener mixture on the backing that's left?

ETA: Would scoring it first allow me to remove the top layer and backing all at once?
    Last edited by ECUPirate; 01-08-2017 at 10:01 AM.

Dont score it. Pull the top layer, hot water in a pump (garden) sprayer, let it sit for a few then it can be scraped with a drywall knife. If it was sized correctly it should come off easy. Ive never tried fabric softener..

Thanks, guys.

Any drywall that the paper facing gets peeled back..will need to be primed with an oil based primer prior to mud, or it will blister at the water based paint.

Quote Originally Posted by Jozie & Me View Post
    Yes fabric softener works.
    Ditto. That's what we used.

I had some that wouldn't come off. Used a heat gun and it peeled off fairly easily.

Wife and I had a contest to see who could get a wall finished first. She used the steamer method, I used a sponge with warm water and a 6" drywall tape knife.

We finished about the same time, and it was hard to tell whose method was more efficient. But either way worked.

I'd take the sponge, dip it in the hot water wring it out pretty good then just work it up and down the wall until the wallpaper gets saturated then use the tape knife to peel it off. It's really not hard, just time consuming. You have to make sure the wallpaper is good and wet but not soaking. You'll figure it out.

May the force be with you.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by willyworm; 01-09-2017 at 08:42 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Don't spurrier

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Quote Originally Posted by charlie horse View Post
    Any drywall that the paper facing gets peeled back..will need to be primed with an oil based primer prior to mud, or it will blister at the water based paint.
    I wish I would have known that prior to painting.

sponge in hot water, rung out and wiping the paste and paper reside.
    It will get saturated and desolve and start rolling off on sponge. Careful
    not too much water on sponge or you will get drywall too wet.

We had to do like 4 rooms in our house when we bought it. Wised up and bought this deal. Makes a mess but works well, just takes time. Work an area until it sets saturated and peel off with putty knife. Just be glad you don't have to do a staircase. That was fun on a rigged up scaffolding made with ladders. The wallpaper we removed was around 50 years old though. Like everything during that time it wasn't put on half ass. You are liable to ding the sheetrock up a little. As stated you will need to prime walls and then mud/sand.

http://www.essentialhardware.com/wag...FZRMDQodW0gABQ
    Last edited by ProvidenceSwamper; 01-09-2017 at 08:38 AM.

Well, I went with the hot water and 6" scraper method and finished in around 4 hours. There were 2 walls that were done by a professional and were sized correctly, and the paper peeled right off. The other 2 walls weren't sized correctly and were a PITA. Now it's time to clean up the walls with a sponge and prepare for paint.

Going to install raised paneling below the chair rail.

Last edited by ECUPirate; 01-09-2017 at 02:58 PM.