Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Minerals..how to in a hurry.

Default Minerals..how to in a hurry.

Ok, as many of you know an have asked here are what the buckets look like.
    Clearly advances can be made. I give you a template to start from.
    25lbs Di Cal Phosphate.
    50lbs Hi Mag Hi Phos aka "select" Cattle minerals
    40lbs Trace mineral Salt.
    20lbs Ag mixing salt.
    5Lbs dried molasses

Hell yeah!

What's the cost difference in that vs good mineral blocks?
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

I may give that a try this year. Thanks

There isn't a mineral block that I'm aware of other than some of the boutique stuff that even comes close in comparison.

Most of the Trophy rock stuff or type is 90% ag salt.

Not trying to be a smart ass, but it just can't do the same.

You need to put a MAGA sticker on that bucket brother!! What is in the Barlett Livestock Mineral vitamin supp? I can see the tag but can't get zoomed in enough to read..
    Genesis 9;2

I like the mixer.

Why do you put it in a bucket, rather than mix a hole and put it in the dirt? Holes in the bottom of the bucket for drainage?
    Last edited by uga_dawg; 01-03-2017 at 09:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Silentweapon338 View Post
    There isn't a mineral block that I'm aware of other than some of the boutique stuff that even comes close in comparison.

Most of the Trophy rock stuff or type is 90% ag salt.

Not trying to be a smart ass, but it just can't do the same.
    He is correct, I just checked and looked at three different blocks and rocks.....
    Ingredients were 96% salt
    I did find 25lb bags of "Record Rack Mineral Feed" that have the exact same ingredients that he is mixing here in almost the same ratios.
    Bags were $14 for 25lb.
    Thanks for sharing, I am doing this in the next week for 4 locations and putting a camera on each all spring and summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Woodie View Post
    I may give that a try this year. Thanks
    I want to say when we did it, we ordered $150 worth. Cant remember how many bags that bought of all but…

We mixed it in a 5 gallon bucket then dumped at 3 sites each 3 times through out the summer. We ask split the blocks and did the same on other stands. If you have the time and access to these minerals, your local feed supply or tractor supply possibly. Think it comes to 1/2 if not 1/4 of the cost when it comes to lbs of minerals you can create.
    Last edited by TJ_11; 01-04-2017 at 09:12 AM.

I see the post in the background of the first pic, is the mineral bucket under a canopy or out in the open weather?

I assume it is in the open weather, when it rains the minerals wash into the soil...

Silentweapon,

I would like to tour your place sometime. Looks like you got a good setup.
    Private Land Rubberhead # 1

It is out in the open that pole is a camera.

The holes are so that the water can exit the bucket an not get trapped an cause a brick to be made.

One of the benefits are that the water leaches into the soil an allows the dirt to become part of the equation. Some deer prefer the minerals to be mixed in with the dirt. Why I can't explain. Not all the deer. So why the bucket? One it keeps the minerals in a more pure condition i.e. no dirt to water down the mixture. 2) It keeps the mixture longer rather than it being dissipated into the earth. 3) maybe I'm taking this to far but I don't like to eat of the ground an I transfer that on to my deer. I envision them appreciating me not make them eat off the ground,

Quote Originally Posted by ndbrown213 View Post
    Silentweapon,

I would like to tour your place sometime. Looks like you got a good setup.

Thanks. Be glad to show you around.

How long does this mixture last or how often to you refresh the mineral station? Do you change the mixture based on season or the deer's specific needs at a given point of the year?

Quote Originally Posted by Silentweapon338 View Post
    Some deer prefer the minerals to be mixed in with the dirt. Why I can't explain. Not all the deer. So why the bucket? One it keeps the minerals in a more pure condition i.e. no dirt to water down the mixture.
    They sure don't mind digging for it either, had one spot where we dumped ours, they dug about 9 inches down and under roots.

I've always put it on the ground and mixed it in with the dirt. But I like the idea of the bucket. In my experience it depends on the soil. They seem to love the salt in red clay and I've seen some big holes from long standing salt licks. But it's hit or miss with the loamy soil.

SW 338 , what about protein pellets in feeders?? Any experience? If so, I would love to read what you use. Thank you.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Tell me more about the pole and camera please.

https://www.buckeyecameras.com/products.html

For the cameras.

Yes, on protein too. Actually just placed a custom order for 21% for a ton. Big thing is make sure what ever is used in the mixture is in fact digestible by deer. Protein isn't always created equal. Ingredients matter. I've used several different feeders mainly reconstructed from units on the market usually made by a certain company based out of Texas. Every one of them seem to have draw backs. I have certain ones any deer will use. I have some that deer will only use if they were born around them. I have a calf feeder I'm gonna rework an try this year in a new location. I'll see what happens.

As to how long they last I have several spots that will be gone by August. I have several that will just barely make it 1 year. I even have 1 or 2 they probably could be left alone with out anything but a little agitation. It seems like the longer they are in a area i.e. multiple years the more use they will tend to get used more heavily. That being said I have 1 spot that has been there for 3 years an I probably will not need to redo it this year just like every other year. I can't figure that one out. There are several near by that all get hammered. I guess the deer just do not like the spot.

Glad I can help an love fielding questions.

Hopefully I an get more folks involved with using minerals, food plots, and exhibiting greater trigger control. Lets face it we are deer farming not hunting any more. I get way more excited about a 80lbs doe in front of 20 screaming walker hounds than I ever will one of the trophies I've personally been responsible for growing. Yes, I said that in response to Duck Cutter. I do in fact participate on a grand scale in the influence of deer growth in my area.

It is no longer socially acceptable to run hounds on the open at least in my area unfortunately times have changed. But in this growing deer has been able to be achieved an I want to be at the forefront an will gladly lend knowledge an a helping hand to those folks wanting to do the same!

As to protien I also am trying on a temp basis the same blend Geddney Howle is using. I want to try it an compare it to some of the stuff I have used in the past, and this new custom blend we have coming I think it will be ready middle of this coming week if I'm not mistaken.

I generally think protein in the open is a waste. I do it to try it, and be able to say we have used it an a ton of the flavors out there. In a pen it makes since in the open I do not find that it is a adequate resource compared to large scale food plots. If you can't manipulate the earth due to timber contracts it is a viable option in those circumstances. However if you can use the earth that is a far greater resource an brings far greater rewards in my honest opinion. A 1/2 acre is not a food plot unless there is a whole lot of them. We have several plots close to 10 acres. I realize this isn't feasible for most people. One of the huge benefits we have seen is a resurgence of wild quail. We have multiple covies not only surviving but growing.