Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Now What?

Default Now What?

January 1st isn't just for resolutioners. For me it marks the end of a long hunting season and is the time I get back to focusing on strength and capacity.

Every year I hit the same cycle. I build strength and cardiovascular endurance with 4-5 days a week of work outs and cleaning up my diet from January until March. From mid March until May I get a little off track due to turkey season but still stay fairly tight nutrition wise and can usually work in 2-3 work outs a week in addition to all the walking hunting included. However during that 6-8 week period my strength cycles get put on hold for the most part. Come May I pick it all back up where I left off. I focus mainly on strength cycles and 5-15 minute metcons until August when I shift to a harder focus on lung capacity, endurance and improving my "GO" factor. I still lift during this time but it is lighter weight and higher rep scheme mixed in with lung crusher movements.

Come September I may get 1-3 small work outs in from then till Jan 1. My nutrition stays okay until Thanksgiving. From that point until the end of the year I completely go off the rails and destroy myself with food. By the time new years rolls around I've lost my endurance, I'm weak as hell from little to no lifting, I'm run down from lack of sleep and fluffy from all the sugar and carbs. And that is where I am now. This year especially has been rough due to the triplets and all they have entailed. So my "let's wreck this place" period started way before September this year. The wife and I both feel like crap and rightly so. We've used our situation not as a reason but as an excuse to eat like shit and "relax" when we should be working out. Today marks our start date to get back on track. It's always that day for me but my wife needs someone to "do things with her" whatever the hell that means. So today is her day as well.

We're tracking our food and Cayce spent last night preparing meals for the week, weighing all our stuff and getting everything portioned out. Tracking macros isn't something I want to do but at this point it is something I need to do to make sure I'm not way underfed. Packing in 3000 calories a day is work and most days I bet I don't hit 15-1800. We will log everything in to My Fitness Pal and use the Eat To Perform calculator to adjust our fats and carbs as needed. Protein will stay at 1'ish gram per pound of body weight. Our goal isn't "weight" related as body weight has zero to do with health and fitness. We're looking at strength, capacity/endurance, body fat and being able to and capable of hunting as hard as I need to when fall comes.

Also my 30th HS reunion is this coming June and my wife is bound and determined to be the walking definition of a trophy wife at that thing.

I know some/most of you are still duck hunting but from here, what is your plan? How do you prepare and for what are you preparing?
    Last edited by Glenn; 01-02-2017 at 10:32 AM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my defense, most of that time was spent up in the tree waiting on T-roy to ride in with his 4 wheeler.

There is always a something to kill or catch every day of every month. However, I usually pick back up doing my runs, and have a more frequent pattern now that I'm just hunting the AMs for duck. From Sept-Dec I'm on a sporadic schedule and usually only condition maybe 1-2 times a week since I'm hunting evenings. Just enough to keep my endurance in check. Now until Turkey season I'll run 4-5 times a week after work.
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Indeed, yet I have killed no Jack Miners today, this month, or this season as our boy DHall has. I am more jealous of his awesome pig of a bird than everyone else combined.

First Peter 5:7 "Cast all your care upon God"

Clean my eating back up.
    Drop the 7lbs I put on between Thanksgiving and now.
    Cross fit 3-4 times a week. We started a new strength cycle two weeks ago. We have been doing built by Burgeron(sp) for a year now.
    Hog hunt a minimum of one time a week.
    Last edited by BugBuster; 01-02-2017 at 10:48 AM.
    "You are Citadel Men, you have no pension for failure, you wear the Ring, you never let a friend down, you will be good fathers, husbands, and leaders in the armed forces and industry, you are strong in heart, body, and mind. You protect such things as Honor and Fidelity. Your virtues matter not only in wealth, but in the richness of family, you are the last of the knights."
    - late President Ronald Reagan

Your post seems very much the opposite of your simple signature.

Looking to get more serious about doing some crossfitting. Have been resting my vocal chords since my solo at the local AME Christmas Eve. Also I got a Bluetooth keyboard that should enable a higher crossfitting rate.
    Cigarettes will only be smoked socially instead of habitually.

Tennis 3-4 days a week
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

12 oz. curls.

repeatedly.

everyday.

52 weeks a year.

training never stops.
    Last edited by scatter shot; 01-02-2017 at 02:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by marsh chicken View Post
    Your post seems very much the opposite of your simple signature.
    The basic principle still applies.

But yeah. A lot has changed.

PR of sub 120 minutes for Folly Half Marathon in February
    Palmetto 200 12 man team member in March
    GoRuck Heavy Heavy (48 hour event) in April
    Compete in Sprint Triathlons over summer
    GoRuck Tough/Light in July
    Set new PR for Sweet Tea Half Marathon in November
    Compete in my first marathon in Kiawah in December

I have 10 more pounds to loose.
    Drink more whiskey and less beer.
    Life ain't easy and dry bread ain't greasy.

I am going to count macros instead of eating "Paleo" and skipping on most carbs. I have introduced carbs in moderation since being here and have added 8 pounds of muscle or so. When I get home I will have more time to workout and meal prep.

I wanna see my wife hit 225 on deadlift. She has turned into a little beast while I have been gone.

I'm more focused on cardiovascular strength, endurance, and mobility at this point. The mountains out here are very steep compared to other states, and I tire out on hunts in a hurry. Next year will be different.
    Last edited by murraywader; 01-02-2017 at 10:31 PM.

I want to do a MU, and get better at OH squats.

I've been doing Fitness Pal since 12/15. I actually lost a few lbs between 12/15 & 1/1. It's stupid easy. My macro ratio right now is 40 Protein, 30 Fat and 30 Carbs. It seems to be working well. I'm gonna check out that Eat to Perform calendar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Time to check in. With about a month to go for some, a little more to go for others till hunting season let's see where we are.

I started the year at 228. As of today I am 212 and down about 10% or so in body fat. Nutrition is going strong and tracking has helped tremendously with strength, endurance, adding muscle and leaning out.

Some recent numbers; 210lb push press, 395 x 5 on deadlift, 245 front squat. Sub 7 minute mile.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    , 395 x 5 on deadlift, 245 front squat.
    Seems like a major imbalance here?
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Quote Originally Posted by MolliesMaster View Post
    Seems like a major imbalance here?
    Indeed. Squats (back, front and overhead) are a tough nut to crack for me. Trust me when I tell you I've come a long way but nowhere near where I need to be or want to be. My weak front squat and overhead strength limits me greatly in the oly lifts.

But i do love me some deadlifts

It is a lever issue or a mental one?

Seems like you have the strength to do more with that dead lift being so high.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Poor squat mechanics. I've battled a chest forward squat since I started. That along with long skinny legs and no ass sets me up for a bad time. It's a continual work in progress.

My back squat is 315. OH squat is 185. Not impressive numbers but it's taken some time to get me there.