Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone here own a S&W500?

Default Anyone here own a S&W500?

Interested in getting one but have a few questions first.

Do you reload to save on the ammo?
    Would you make the purchase again?
    Any issues hunting with it if you do?

Just buy my 454. Buddy of mine had one and it cost too much to shoot it. 454 you can shoot 45 colt on it and enjoy shooting it. If dead set on smith id buy the 460. You can shoot 454 and 45 colt in it. So you have 3 options for power levels. 500 and 460 is cool to shoot a few times but imo not that practical. The guns are too heavy and bulky and you might as well take a carbine. If you want to get into pistol hunting, buy a contender or encore if a 44 or 454 isnt enough
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

No. I'm confident in the size of my pecker.

I had one.

Thing sat in the safe more than it ever was used. A year or more would go by before I'd shoot it. I sold it to fund other gun wants.

Ammo was stupid high for it.

I'm perfectly happy with .44 RemMag as the largest wheelgun for what I want in a hunting handgun.

No, I'll not be buying another 500.

Quote Originally Posted by Dub View Post
    I had one.

Thing sat in the safe more than it ever was used. A year or more would go by before I'd shoot it. I sold it to fund other gun wants.

Ammo was stupid high for it.

I'm perfectly happy with .44 RemMag as the largest wheelgun for what I want in a hunting handgun.

No, I'll not be buying another 500.
    That's kinda where my head is how much will I really use it and ammo cost. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Biggie1976 View Post
    That's kinda where my head is how much will I really use it and ammo cost. Thanks
    For what it's worth......a buddy bought one exactly like mine at the same time. His didn't stick around, either. He also had a 460. Now the 460 has some interest for me in the Hornady flex tip loads. They aren't so darn expensive and are true 100+ yard killers.

I highly recommend the .460 over the 500. As previously stated, you can shoot any .45 caliber bullet and it makes it a much more practical weapon. Plus, with the size of the gun and muzzle break, shooting rounds like a .454 offer much less recoil than when fired through a dedicated. 454. Hell a .45 long colt is like shooting a .22. With the 220 grain "lipstick" round (Hornady ballistic tip), it offers enough KE to kill a deer sized animal out to 250 yards. And speaking of long range, the pistol is unbelievable. I can shoot pie plate groups at 300 yards with it and I'm not that good of a shot. My best on a deer was this one from this year at 108 yards. The only downside is how loud the gun is, and how bad the flames are coming out of the cylinder gap. You'll melt the shit out of anything plastic, or burn through all but the thickest leather in one shot on your rest if you aren't careful. Reloading is a breeze and economical with the .460 because you can use any .45 bullet. I've loaded from 200 grain ballistic tips all the way up to 395 grain wadcutters. It's a very versatile weapon.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

I had one - once the novelty wore off, it sat unused for years. Would not get another.

My Colt Anaconda 44 Mag w/ Hornady Leverevolution ammo was a much better & more practical choice

Never owned one, but it always looked like it would be a gun where the law of diminishing marginal utility would kick in before you finished the first box of ammo.
    Last edited by billyjack; 12-30-2016 at 10:59 AM.

I bought my 454 and shot it alot when i first got it. You shoot a 500, 454 or shorter barreled 44 mag with no ear protection and your ears will ring for a month. My purpose of toting a pistol in the woods is a quick close shot or a finishing shot. I bought a 45colt bisley blackhawk. Standard pressure loads shoot 255gr bullets at 900 fps or so and will kill anything i need it to without blowing my eardrums up. I do have 2 44 mags, one in a 10" contender and the other in a 4" 629 smith. The contender with the leupold 2.5-8 im confident out to 150yds no problem. For a dedicated pistol hunter buy you an encore 12" in 460. Then you are covered. And you have more range than the smith and dont have to worry about the flames as much. If you want a revolver id go with a super redhawk 7.5" in 44 or 454
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.

You are welcome to shoot any of mine if you want

Quote Originally Posted by scoutlover View Post
    I highly recommend the .460 over the 500. As previously stated, you can shoot any .45 caliber bullet and it makes it a much more practical weapon. Plus, with the size of the gun and muzzle break, shooting rounds like a .454 offer much less recoil than when fired through a dedicated. 454. Hell a .45 long colt is like shooting a .22. With the 220 grain "lipstick" round (Hornady ballistic tip), it offers enough KE to kill a deer sized animal out to 250 yards. And speaking of long range, the pistol is unbelievable. I can shoot pie plate groups at 300 yards with it and I'm not that good of a shot. My best on a deer was this one from this year at 108 yards. The only downside is how loud the gun is, and how bad the flames are coming out of the cylinder gap. You'll melt the shit out of anything plastic, or burn through all but the thickest leather in one shot on your rest if you aren't careful. Reloading is a breeze and economical with the .460 because you can use any .45 bullet. I've loaded from 200 grain ballistic tips all the way up to 395 grain wadcutters. It's a very versatile weapon.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Nice buck !

Now, if I'd have hung on to my 500 if I'd had some righteous kills with it, lol.

I looked at the .460 and .500 and went with a S&W performance center .44 as well.
    "You are Citadel Men, you have no pension for failure, you wear the Ring, you never let a friend down, you will be good fathers, husbands, and leaders in the armed forces and industry, you are strong in heart, body, and mind. You protect such things as Honor and Fidelity. Your virtues matter not only in wealth, but in the richness of family, you are the last of the knights."
    - late President Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Phone Man View Post
    You are welcome to shoot any of mine if you want
    Thanks for the info and offer.

Quote Originally Posted by BugBuster View Post
    I looked at the .460 and .500 and went with a S&W performance center .44 as well.
    What factors helped make your choice?

Distance I planned on shooting, availability and cost of bullets. I already owned other .44's too.
    "You are Citadel Men, you have no pension for failure, you wear the Ring, you never let a friend down, you will be good fathers, husbands, and leaders in the armed forces and industry, you are strong in heart, body, and mind. You protect such things as Honor and Fidelity. Your virtues matter not only in wealth, but in the richness of family, you are the last of the knights."

Distance I planned on shooting, availability and cost of bullets. I already owned other .44's too.
    I don't own either of the three mentioned above. But so far the 460 might be my choice. One of the performance center models

Plus it is down right sexy!

Plus it is down right sexy!
    I like it!