Thread: Jerky Gun

Default Jerky Gun

Before I even ask I absolutely prefer sliced meat for jerky but when I get five times more burger than I do regular meat I want to still be able to make jerky. I don't even really like deer burger. Having said that, are all the guns created equal?Any recommendations on certain models? I'll be near a BPS this weekend but would just as soon order one if it's a little better.

I know this isn't what you are asking but why not get them to give you roast or the cut meat rather than burger?

Quote Originally Posted by uga_dawg View Post
    I know this isn't what you are asking but why not get them to give you roast or the cut meat rather than burger?
    I might need to go to a different processor but when it's two miles from the house it is kind of convenient. I actually asked them about de-boning the whole deer for me and the guy I was talking to acted like the only decent meat for jerky was the hams and backstrap. I was skeptical but the result is what I have now and I've used all the non-ground up making jerky. I'm not going to mind the convenience using the ground either.

Cabelas jerky blaster. I've been pleasantly surprised. I prefer sliced also, but the ground has bee been pretty good and much faster.
    If you give 10 people a bag of gold, someone will complain about how heavy it is!

Quote Originally Posted by dmatheny21 View Post
    Cabelas jerky blaster. I've been pleasantly surprised. I prefer sliced also, but the ground has bee been pretty good and much faster.

And you can make more at a time using the jerky blaster. I load my dehydrator shelves slam full. Takes a little longer to dry out, even have to rotate the shelves around a bit. I do 7-8 lbs at a time.

Don't know whats out there now as Ive had mine for years, but I would go with largest capacity. Sucks refilling 10 times for 5 lb of jerky....

Also, the advantage to the ground jerky is using up the meat in the lower hams and shoulders that have a lot of silver. Otherwise, that stuff would go to the dogs.

I'm leaning towards the bigger one Cabela's sells.

I have the jerky gun cabbalas makes. It holds 1.5 lbs if I remember right. I got it years ago as a present and never messed with it. I found it in the garage and I made a batch the other day. I was pleased with the consistency and texture of the jerky but it didn't taste very good. Thats on me. I need to read up on some recipes.

I'm like the OP in that I am trying to find something creative to do with all the ground deer I have. I can only eat so many tacos, chili, and spaghetti.
    Miner's Daughter's Coal Train 'Rosco'

"The only human quality he lacks is speech" -Alfred Brehm

I prefer sliced jerky as well. Someone gave me the jerky blaster last year and I use it, but need a better recipe(s). I dry it in the oven, and the wet marinades tend to take a lot longer to dry. Edited to add: the jerky blaster is very easy to use and clean up. Easy to make a large batch.
    Last edited by 4THEGIRLS; 12-10-2016 at 09:08 AM.

No doubt that I greatly prefer the sliced but when it means the difference in not having any jerky then I'm going to do some ground. As far as recipes, most of the ones I see online are very similar using worcestershire, soy, teriyaki, garlic and onion powder, etc. A recipe I found last year was using mustard and apple cider vinegar and to me it is starting to be my favorite.

Here's a dry seasoning recipe that I use with 100% lean venison.

5lbs venison
    1/2 c chili powder
    4 tbsp onion powder
    4 tbsp paprika
    2 tsp black pepper
    4 tsp salt2 tsp cayenne