Thread: Kick-up strap

Default Kick-up strap

Does any one have a strap/cable/chain rigged up on the CMC PT130 or PT-35 to prevent the motor from kicking up to far? If so how did you do it?
    Sea Ark 1542 w/ Yamaha 40
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer
    War Eagle 15 w/ 30 Hammer

--------------------------------------------------

"Sometimes you gotta grab the bull by the horns and the women by the tits and take charge in your life" - General Patton

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over."
    - Rhett Butler

I have a heavy rope hanging across the back of the motor and tied to the handles on either side of the rear of my MV1648 Alumacraft. The motor or could kick up about 1/2way before the rope would stop it.

I don't know of you have to do it differently with a CMC unit, etc.
    Last edited by WoodieSC; 11-23-2016 at 01:20 PM.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Dixiedeerslaya has a chain between the two sections of his break-away plate I think. There's pictures of it somewhere on here or maybe on Facebook. Someone, maybe CMC, makes a strap that stays out of the way and serves the same purpose.

For a motor mounted on a PT-130, I assume you're counting on the motor kicking up, not a separate break-away plate, right? I'd just run a rope from the handles on the back of the boat. Or run a rope/cable from holes in the plate around the motor.

Another way to do them.

Last edited by WNM; 11-23-2016 at 08:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WNM View Post
    For a motor mounted on a PT-130, I assume you're counting on the motor kicking up, not a separate break-away plate, right?
    Correct. The PT-35 is a bit more tricky to work with as there's not a whole lot of space to drill holes.
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer

"Sometimes you gotta grab the bull by the horns and the women by the tits and take charge in your life" - General Patton

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over."
    - Rhett Butler

That chain ain't big enough.

I've got mine mounted on the inside like the pic with the blue straps.

The motor is allowed to kick up just past the bottom of the boat before the chain is taught.

The bolts that mount my chain are pretty busted up. I'm certain they'll shear eventually. However, I'm glad that chain is there.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

That chain in the picture isn't even bolted on both ends either. Just a picture from the Havoc Facebook page.

I haven't re-added a stump rope since I put on my PT-130, but I'll probably run a rope from the handles on the back of the boat around the motor and everything. That way I'll be covered if the motor mounts break or if something on the PT-130 gives way, too.

The problem I've run into is having a rope long enough that the motor will have enough range to kick up or be able to be lifted up and locked out the water, while being short enough that it can't work its way into range of the prop. I've seen DNR and other boats with plastic tubing over their ropes, and I think that would help keep it out of the prop while having enough give to lock the motor up.

Handle to handle on 1648. Always called em swamp ropes.
    I used to drink like a fish and run like a dog
    Done a whole lotta shit not permitted by law
    People call me the Picasso of painting the town

what are y'all doing here for the ba-130s?....put mine in the boat yesterday and want to keep that from happening again

I tied a rope to mine yesterday....it doesn't completely limit the movement, but will keep it out of the boat I think.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Please support March of Dimes

www.marchforbabies.org/MadelineRai

I haven’t done anything about it yet.
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer

- Rhett Butler