Thread: Jerky

Default Jerky

Anyone have a good jerky marinade recipe they like? I usually just use the dry pack mixes you buy in the box stores. This batch is going to my brothers in afghanistan so I'd like something pretty good.

I know it's very simple, but it's my favorite. Dales (little goes a long way) seasoning and coarse black pepper. Done.

Crockett Creek.

The last time I made jerky, it turned out great. I experimented with Worcestershire sauce, Soy sauce, and liquid smoke. I didn't write down the amounts because I mixed it in measuring cups and tasted it till I got it right. But, I believe it was equal parts of the first 2 and just enough liquid smoke to make it taste right. When the ratio was right, I mixed a big batch and marinated the meat over night. Then, hit it with course black pepper and dried.
    Last edited by MKW; 11-13-2016 at 07:04 PM.
    Crops are harvested, animals are killed.

I'll make a few small batches and see how they turn out. A few of my old buddies are across the pond and I told them I would send some jerky over since I have 3 deer in the freezer now. Thanks.

Hi Mountain pepper blend. Lay it out and sprinkle more pepper, course ground if you have it. I dry 50-75ish pounds a year and get "I never had jerky that good" regularly. I'm just not into Dales and teriyaki.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

Quote Originally Posted by MKW View Post
    The last time I made jerky, it turned out great. I experimented with Worcestershire sauce, Soy sauce, and liquid smoke. I didn't write down the amounts because I mixed it in measuring cups and tasted it till I got it right. But, I believe it was equal parts of the first 2 and just enough liquid smoke to make it taste right. When the ratio was right, I mixed a big batch and marinated the meat over night. Then, hit it with course black pepper and dried.
    Similar to what I do. I don't measure either. Soy Sauce, Water, Worcestershire (a little goes a long way), garlic powder, onion powder, tiny bit of red pepper flake or Cajun seasoning like "Slap Ya Momma" all in the marinade. Then I sprinkle some seasoning on the meat as it goes in to dry.

1 tsp liquid smoke
    1 Tbsp A1
    1 Tbsp Worcestershire
    1/2 tsp fg pepper
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp onion powder
    1/2 tsp garlic powder
    1/4 cup soy sauce
    1/4 cup Seagrams 7

Does about a pound. 24-48hrs. Hit it with ground pepper when you put it in the dryer. This seems like a lot of shit but it makes awesome jerky. I add crushed pepper flakes to half the batch to get more spice.

do yall put it straight in the dehydrator raw? I always have but Ive heard others that say its not safe
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

I take tooth picks and hang hundreds of strips from the oven racks. Set it on lowest setting and crack the oven door. Line bottom of oven with aluminum foil for clean up ease.
    I need to buy a dehydrator, but I like doing large batch all at once. Works perfect

i don't usually measure, but when i figured this one out, i kept a note in my phone.....my variation of SCW's

1 cup w sauce
    1 cup soy sauce
    1/2 cup pineapple juice
    1/4 cup teriyaki sauce
    1 tablespoon honey
    1 tablespoon black pepper
    1 tablespoon onion powder
    1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
    1/2 tablespoon liq smoke

slice semi frozen, in fridge over night, straight to dehydrator

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    I take tooth picks and hang hundreds of strips from the oven racks. Set it on lowest setting and crack the oven door. Line bottom of oven with aluminum foil for clean up ease.
    I need to buy a dehydrator, but I like doing large batch all at once. Works perfect

How long in your experience has it taken in the oven?

Worchestershire
    Mustard
    Honey
    Hot sauce
    Lemon juice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Roddie View Post
    SCducks is not checkers, it's chess.

5 or 6 hours or more, the crack in the door determines this. The secret is to dry it and not cook it. Use a thermometer. Its ready when you can bend it without it breaking but yet you can tear it. If it breaks, its too done.
    Cut your meat against the grain for tenderness. Rotate pieces due to oven hot spots. Pro Tip

I'm just wondering now how long these recipes without some kind of cure will last in the mail. I'll be vacuum sealing them but I'd say it will take the better part of a week to get there providing there is no hold ups.

I just finished slicing 5 lbs to make later this week and going to copy my last batches. I leave in Tupperware or large Ziploc bag for 18-24 hours, shake dry, and put in dehydrator.

First was an apple cider base that I was very unsure of but my wife and kids loved:

for 2 lbs of sliced meat each:

1. 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar.
    2. 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce.
    3. 1/4 cup heavy beer (Paulaner Salvator was my beer of the day)
    4. 2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar.
    5. 1 teaspoon hickory smoked salt.
    6. 1 teaspoon dried garlic powder.
    7. 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper.
    8. Splash of liquid smoke.

Second was a beer pepper:

1. 1 beer
    2. 1/2 cup of soy sauce
    3. 1/4 Worcestershire
    4. Hickory smoked salt
    5. fresh ground pepper
    6. Cayenne pepper
    add more fresh ground pepper as it goes in the dehydrator.

Quote Originally Posted by TheVisorGuy View Post
    do yall put it straight in the dehydrator raw? I always have but Ive heard others that say its not safe
    If you're making beef jerky all you need is a box fan, two bungee cords and 4 cheap furnace filters.

5lbs venison
    1/2 c chili powder
    4 tbsp onion powder
    4 tbsp paprika
    5 tsp black pepper
    4 tsp salt
    2 tsp cayenne (optional)

I use a dry rub seasoning. I usually use a dehydrator but the last batch I dried on the smoker and it was excellent. Don't give the dog a piece because he will relentlessly pester you until the whole batch is gone.

I do not recommend storing it in plastic. It is less likely to mold if you put it in paper bags.