Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First time planting rice

We planted millet too, but it didn't make it. As soon as we drained and planted, the beavers came and stopped up the riser system and it flooded it.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by scoutlover View Post
    We planted millet too, but it didn't make it. As soon as we drained and planted, the beavers came and stopped up the riser system and it flooded it.

Have you all had a chance to hunt it since deer season is over?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    http://tektongamecalls.com

Tekton Game Calls

843-290-9569

Quote Originally Posted by joeydpga View Post
    Have you all had a chance to hunt it since deer season is over?

We've put cameras all around the edge, and haven't gotten a picture of a duck yet so I guess they haven't found it yet. We're hoping for some cold weather to freeze up the swamp all around it to force the birds out and hopefully they'll find it. It's deep and has a lot of current through it so I think it'll be the last place to freeze in the area.

Quote Originally Posted by scoutlover View Post
    We've put cameras all around the edge, and haven't gotten a picture of a duck yet so I guess they haven't found it yet. We're hoping for some cold weather to freeze up the swamp all around it to force the birds out and hopefully they'll find it. It's deep and has a lot of current through it so I think it'll be the last place to freeze in the area.

I hope they pour in soon for you!

http://tektongamecalls.com

Tekton Game Calls

843-290-9569

Did the AA seed I gave you spout?

Quote Originally Posted by BrandonWagner View Post
    Did the AA seed I gave you spout?
    Unfortunately no. At the time I got that from you, we hadn't found this spot and made it. Where we planted the duck potato and AA ended up having a ton of yellow primrose dormant we didn't know about, and it choked everything out when it bloomed. I wish we knew then what we know now with having all the problems with the beavers and all. This spot would be great place to try the aquatics. We can drain it no problem, but keeping the beavers out long enough for the millet to grow to the right height before they reflood it proved impossible. If you happen to get any more to spare, I'd love to try again.

Keep an eye out at local ramps, parks, golf course ponds, etc around March-May. It's pretty easy to reconize when you know what your looking for. I know 2 or 3 spots that produce well every year. If you don't see any, get in touch and I can point you towards some. Probably best to get the pods around May/June
    Last edited by BrandonWagner; 01-13-2017 at 03:55 PM.

I’ve been following your thread how had things worked out so far? I plan on planting some rice for next season and trying to learn what works and does not. If you don’t mind to share on your thoughts about it.