Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Wild Quail

Quote Originally Posted by Burney Mac View Post
    I was born in the '85, I'm 31 now. When I came along and was old enough to carry a gun, bird hunting was a thing of the past for the most part. I was still fortunate enough to be able to experience a few covey rises and kill a few. Although it's sad when you can recall exactly where, when, and how it all went down. As opposed to having so many memories your mind forgets a few. All my dad cared about was "bird" hunting. A dove was a dove, duck a duck, but quail hunting was referred to as "bird huntjng". He hunted other game but when quail season came in, all the other bullshit stopped. He was at peace in a cut over or a thick creek bottom trailing a couple of pointers and setters. Sadly by the time I was old enough to enjoy it with him the opportunities didn't exist anymore.

My dad started hunting birds in the 50's in his early teens. He always tried out for the basketball team, made the cut, then would quite as soon as quail season opened. He raised dogs his whole life, mostly English setters and pointers with a few drops mixed in. He carried a variety of SxS chambered in 12,16, or 20. His last bird gun was an old 870 that he cut off at 18" so he could swing it better in the thickets. I've got pictures of myself in the puppy lot at 3 years old with his last litter of setters.

He passed away 3 years ago this past month. I've still got his last dog, a male setter, he's 14 now. He's old, brittle, and his hips are getting bad. Every time I look into his eyes I can see my dad. The willingness to go is there but the body can't do what the mind wants. Every time I see or hear a wild bird I always smile and say hello. It's just his way or dropping in. In the last two springs on separate occasions while turkey hunting I've walked up on a pair of birds. Within an hour both times I've managed to find and kill a longboard.

In my mind I can still see myself riding shotgun down some country road. Dads sipping on a cold colors light and I'm pounding Reese pieces and mtn dew like they're going out of style. All hopped up on caffeine ready for the next drop. I didn't know it but those were my good old days.

If I could have one wish, I'd wish for one more covey rise with the old man.

Sweet Jesus that was beautiful....got a little misty eyed!
    Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

Amen to the last post. Use to leave house walking with 2 brittney's and a big lemon and white pointer, most any afternoon after school my buddy and I could find 10 or 12 coveys. We really worked on em. Those were the days....really miss it!!

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Quote Originally Posted by TheVisorGuy View Post
    Whatever the bushy looking grass that my place is full of has he little green pods that stick to your britches like a mofo when you walk through it. Those things are a pain to get off.
    Those are beggar-lice. You can get them off easy with a knife blade. Just be careful not to cut your britches. I've cut several pair with a sharp knife when shaving off beggar-lice.
    Last edited by Mergie Master; 11-04-2016 at 10:18 AM.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

Quote Originally Posted by charlie horse View Post
    I'm not far from you in Woodward but more towards the Lebanon mart, dumpers creek runs through there. We have plenty of quail too.

Dumpers creek? You're within throwing distance of us

Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    Those are beggar-lice. You can get them off easy with a knife blade. Just be careful not to cut your britches. I've cut several pair with a sharp knife when shaving off beggar-lice.
    Ill eat the seeds if I find a bunch of green ones on my pants or boots. Taste like a raw green bean.

I appreciate the long post above. I missed the real hey day of quail. I caught them in the 90's. I have hope. It seems as the last seasons or two has been better than it had been for a while. I feel like I e been seeing more. It's and hearing others say the same.

Quote Originally Posted by TheVisorGuy View Post
    On the flip side I could ride 20 mins down the road to my place in Blackstock and not even hear a bird
    We've got anywhere from 8-10 coveys with with minimum 8 birds per covey.
    I know where 5 of the coveys are personally and the other members have said where the others are.

We are ~20 minutes from the Lebanon Mart from our place in blackstock.
    Last edited by Chuck the Duck Slayer; 11-04-2016 at 06:25 PM.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

Quote Originally Posted by Gone South View Post
    Dumpers creek? You're within throwing distance of us
    Stop by tonight and drink a beer.