Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sound of bullet hitting deer

Default Sound of bullet hitting deer

Alright fellas, here's the situation. This evening I was faced with an opportunity to kill a nice buck. I was hunting with a friend who was in a stand about 300 yards away. Right as the last bit of light was fading, there he was, 120 yards away. He was quartering towards me. The stand I was in has a computer chair and the gas cylinder would not raise the seat up. So in order to shoulder my rifle I had to stand with my knees bent.

With that said, I finally was able to get a somewhat steady rest, but with all the noise I was making he knew I was there. I take the shot and I felt unsure immediately as to whether I got him. My buddy calls as soon as I shot and said you got him. He was convinced he heard the sound of the bullet contacting the deer. We searched for a hour and did not find a spec of blood. If I shot the deer in the chest he most likely did not have an exit wound and would result in minimal blood. What do y'all think? I'm sick to my damn stomach right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go back and look tomorrow is all you can do.

If he was 300 yds away, he would have definitely heard the smack of the bullet. Go back and look tomorrow.

A stump, rotten tree or even compact dirt makes the same sound from that distance... go back with a dog that knows whats up..
    Genesis 9;2

Quote Originally Posted by Luvin' Labs View Post
    If he was 300 yds away, he would have definitely heard the smack of the bullet. Go back and look tomorrow.
    The area around where I shot at him is muddy. Does hitting mud or a tree sound the same as hitting a deer?

Yes it does. The deer I killed tonight I heard the bullet hit

What strick said.

Although a lung shot sounds like a floor tom on a drum set.

Find someone with a dog
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

What about us not seeing blood. I was using my .243 tonight. Is it possible he didn't bleed for a while?

Ding ding ding.

Next time leave the ten year old girl's rifle at home.

Yes and did y'all find any kick up marks. What did he do after the shoot?

Quote Originally Posted by mudnut1970 View Post
    Yes and did y'all find any kick up marks. What did he do after the shoot?

I couldn't tell what he did after I shot. The fire from the shot filled my scope. I couldn't even tell which direction he ran.

The glory it would have been to brag on scducks about shooting a deer with a 243 was only a couple hundred yards out of reach.

If he was 300 yards away he could definitely hear the bullet impact something. If you shot him in the chest with a .243 you better get a good dog there in the morning.

Had the same thing happen several times, will not bleed much if any and will be within 200 yards of where you shot him,,,if ya hit him, like Strick said, best bet is a dog

I killed a nice buck about 12 years ago with my rifle. He was only about 60 yards though. I shot him quartering away in the right side and it exited out the front left shoulder. I watched him cut a flip and run off the left side of the lane. When I got down there wasn't even a drop of blood on the ground. I followed broken sticks for about 40 yards and found him laying on a ditch bank like a dog would be laying there looking at me. I ended up having to shoot him again.
    Last edited by Relentlous; 10-15-2016 at 09:20 PM.
    867-5309

Quote Originally Posted by Strick9 View Post
    A stump, rotten tree or even compact dirt makes the same sound from that distance... go back with a dog that knows whats up..
    This.

PM Evining0855. He has vast knowledge on this topic all the way down to the small caliber.
    More fuel = more boost!!

Quote Originally Posted by Relentlous View Post
    I killed a nice buck about 12 years ago with my rifle. He was only about 60 yards though. I shot him quartering away in the right side and it exited out the front left shoulder. I watched him cut a flip and run off the left side of the lane. When I got down there wasn't even a drop of blood on the ground. I followed broken sticks for about 40 yards and found him laying on a ditch bank like a dog would be laying there looking at me. I ended up having to shoot him again.
    happened to me two years ago on a 193# 7 point. quartering away, shot him just behind right front shoulder, bullet bounced back and was lodged under the skin of his left rear hip. Brother text me from 3-4 hundred yards away and said nice shot, is he DRT? I said, yes I heard him crash within 20 yards of the hit. Come to find out, the buck was on the "crawl away" through a steep ravine and was crawling up the other side. My brother walked within 20 yards of him coming to me. The buck took another bullet to the neck once we found where he was. I posted a photo of the bullet fragment somewhere in scducks. Crazy shit happens when you shoot deer! This was with a 270.

I've shot probably 25 deer with a .243, and every damn one of them ran with a pass thru shot. Hardly any blood trail. They all piled up though
    Go Tigers!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    Ding ding ding.

Next time leave the ten year old girl's rifle at home.

There it is